General Discussion Race Reports! » Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Try Fitness
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 7s
Overall Rank = 47/199
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/31
Pre-race routine:

I woke up before the alarm by 5:00 minutes. I slept lightly as usual, specially being in a hotel, around 2-3 am there were people talking loud on a balcony probably above us which kept waking me up, the only way I new I got sleep is I was having a dream about getting my water bottles ready with ice just before I got up!

I had trouble eating, I guess peanut butter toast was not a good choice, very dry and I was still slightly nauseous from the stomach bug earlier in the week. I managed to get down a half of fruit nut bar and a tangerine.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike to the start from my hotel and then took it for a little spin 1/2 hour before. Stretch...
Swim
  • 09m 19s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well I was kind of bummed to be in the second wave, I was thinking I would be in the first since last year I was in the second. Last year I did the relay since I couldn't run so I figured that is why I was in the second wave, well 40 and over were in the second wave, they let all the young gals go first. The main reason I was bummed was the congestion on the bike course.

My swim was good except I didn't have anyone to draft off. I was third out of my wave out the water, the two ahead of me were in a relay, they were far ahead so there was no draft choice. One was a minute ahead and the other a little bit more. So I had a group drafting off me which I could tell was making me work just a little harder than I wanted. I caught up to the the fist wave and actually caught a little wave into shore.

The course was also longer than last year, last year it was probably more like 400 meters due to a big swell. It looked longer and my time is longer than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Try to place my self next to the faster swimmers to draft. Of course that is hard to do, hey chicky what is your average 100 split can I draft off of you....;)
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

My watch decided to have low batteries, I tried to use it and I guess it was working but all I could see was zeros so after my T1 I stopped hitting for transition times. They didn't use a timing chip, so transition times are included in swim and bike.

Well I know I fumbled with my gel to put in my suit, next time I will just swim with it.
Bike
  • 39m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.23 mile/hr
Comments:

As I expected coming out of the water in the second wave made the bike course congested, which meant I had a lot of passing to do. I passed so many riders and my time is really not as improved as I expected. Now yes it fun to pass but in my last race I got penalized for drafting which was ridiculous because it was more congestion on the course than me intentionally trying to draft. So that being on my mind I was really trying to play it safe. Overall I love bike racing and had a blast.

Train harder and not get sick before, I did feel a bit tired on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Well I managed to figure a rough time on this transition by subtracting my bike computer time from my overall bike time, very slow transition for me, this may include a little of T1 transition as well.

Well after looking at the video, I could have started running while putting my race belt on.
Run
  • 26m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Well my focus in training was on my run, and it payed off! Not as fast as I did it a couple years ago but close. I did not feel I was running this fast. About 3/4 of mile left both quads started to twinge like they were going to cramp, I may have slowed a bit and started to breath out longer in hopes they wouldn't fully cramp and they didn't I was able to finish running and may have sprinted the last 50 yards down the shoot with a big smile across my face! I finally did the whole Na Wahine! My first year the swim was canceled and was du, last year I did a relay due to my foot injury, so it was great to actually do the whole race as I intended.

Not get sick prior to a race!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for 5 minutes grabbed a Jamba juice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Illness prior to race.

Event comments:

I love this race! I find it more competitive than the coed races I have done. The women in my age group are very tough chicks! There were 12 of us from Kauai, we all had a great time and some came home with hardware.
It was gratifying to see my friend who always wanted to do a tri, she was struggling with the swim and pushed through her fears and kept at it and is now hooked!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:19 | 500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/31
Overall: 25/199
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot tri suit
Course: Two buoys in a row. Water start. Swim down with buoys on your left and back along the beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:30 | 12 miles | 18.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/31
Overall: 58/199
Wind: None
Course: Around diamond head crater, two loops through Kahala, back the other side of diamond head crater, very pretty and fun.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:46 | 03.11 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/31
Overall: 86/199
Course: Loop around the zoo and Kapiolani Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-16 5:15 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only

2008-09-17 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1678323

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only
Great job!! Just say NO to the sicky.   Hardware!!!!
2008-09-17 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Wow, what a great race! Well worth waiting for, really sucks that you were sick before and had a poor sleep the night before...hope you made a lot of noise getting up in the AM! Or tied a tube to their doorhandle and railing and then start screaming FIRE, FIRE!!!...maybe not...great swim, bike run, you are pretty fast for a girl!!! Anymore races this year?
2008-09-17 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Wooo-hooo!  Way to tough out the left-over sickness.  Sweet splits too!
2008-09-17 11:30 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Nice race! Congratulations!! Great times!
2008-09-19 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

YAAY!!!!

Awesome race!!!!

Great job!!!

Can't wait for next year's report

2008-09-23 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
You rocked the house baby!!! Great times for someone dealing with being sick!!! You did great, nice pics too!! Congrats on being out there
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only Rss Feed