United States
"Tri-to-Win" Melanoma Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 16m 54s
Overall Rank = 43/182
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3:45 and began the process. Took a shower and packed everything for the drive over to Deep Creek. Ate breakfast on the way over at around 5am. Arrived a bit early however, we were able to get in the park and simply parked and waited for a bit.
Headed down to transition and began that process which took a bit longer considering the double and triple checks I did because of the distance and new routines...like arm warmers and nutritional adjustments!
Event warmup:

Did a bit of stretching throughout the morning however, similar to Hagerstown and Northeast I chose not to warm-up with any running...more of a mental thang than anything else!
Swim
  • 31m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt like the swim went pretty well. I started out fairly strong really concentrating on form and finishing my stroke. After seperating a bit from everyone I was able to swim in some clean water except for some solid drafting efforts on the way out. Unfortunately I wasn't able to maintain the drafting on the way back in b/c of catching some of the swimmers from the first wave as well as having to stop and clear my foggy goggles. Not the best pace however, I do think the extra distance from .9 to 1.2 made a difference b/c my arms and shoulders were quite fatigued.
What would you do differently?:

Other than training and figuring out a way to avoid having my goggles always fog up I am pretty pleased with the effort. Ideally, I will be down around 29-30 minutes at Eagleman next year......at least that's my goal......we'll see!!!
Transition 1
  • 05m 59s
Comments:

Definitely SLOW but I anticipated that b/c of the somewhat lengthy uphill run to T1. I also wasn't in any hurry b/c of the arm warmers and nutrition piece. Took my time and made sure I was good to go.

Improve my time but like I said I think it will come once I begin to feel more comfortable with new elements involved!
Bike
  • 3h 35m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Well ... it was an interesting experience and honestly a few days removed one that I am glad I took part in. Although it was last minute and I wsn't as prepared as I could have been I think it was a great test for me mentally. It was great to be tested like this and feel what it is like to be forced to do something so difficult.
I will say that the change in cassette seemed to make little difference ... 12-25 or 12-27 ... it didn't afford me the opportunity to spin like I would have thought I could have. Just seemed like I was up and out of my saddle quite a bit. I do think training a bit more and riding hills more often will stregthen the legs a bit more and help long term on hills and flats. Also, I think getting the proper fit on a better bike is going to make a difference too!

Train....Fit.....Bike!
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Once again I took my time to ensure I was prepared for the 13.1 I had coming. Took a couple endurolytes before taking off since I missed having those on the bike.
Run
  • 2h 01m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually didn't feel too bad coming off the bike which I was expecting. That said, I definitely wasn't able to move the legs as quickly as I would have liked for fear off any and all muscles in my legs seizing up which they have a tendency to do. My first lap was just over and hour, maybe 1:02:??, and although running by the finish line was a little tough I actually felt pretty good considering!
My goal from the outset was to negative split the run. Ultimately I wanted under 2hours and thought I had a shot - actually pushed real hard the last mile and a half but alas I was unable to get the goal time however, I was real proud of my effort and determination. Aside from a pace over 9min miles - I am ok with the result. I know I can improve and ultimately I think I can get myself to a point where I am running a stronger 13.1 at the 70.3 distance!

Train and maybe take another PB Gel b/c I felt great after getting the 2 I had in my system!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and experience!!!

Event comments:

Overall, like I said earlier, I'm just really glad I tried SavageMan. Although it was my first HALF and one of the most diffcult ones around I think long-term it's going to help me with my preperation physically and more importantly mentally!
I love the way my season ended b/c I was able to end on Personal bests at each distance. Granted this is my first half but for me to finish and feel ok doing this particular half....that's a personal best in my book....at least for now!
I will definitely re-examine this after Eagleman!!!

Last updated: 2008-09-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/25
Overall: 23/182
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Apex
Course: Rectangular swim along the shoreline.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:35:26 | 56 miles | 15.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 58/182
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: BEAUTIFUL course but WOW....an extremely difficult course b/c of all the climbing and I was not well trained for the ride...to say the least! I will say though - riding along the Savage River was incredible!!! I also really enjoyed some of the downhill portions of the ride...fast and technical!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:01:29 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 40/182
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps within the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-24 11:12 AM

User image

Subject: Savageman HIM

2008-09-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1693164

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: Savageman HIM
great race and wonderful times. That was my first olympic distance - can't imagine doubling it like you did- quite the race. Great job!
2008-09-24 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Congrats on finishing a tough course.  Did you attempt the Wall and how did you do?  Eagleman's going to seem easy (if the weather cooperates) after that course.

Ernie

2008-09-24 9:08 PM

User image

Elite
Did you make it up the wall?
2008-09-25 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Jason - great performance as usual on one tough course!! And I think you probably took away a greater sense of accomplishment than if you had been able to do the Patriot's Half? Didn't see, did you attempt the Wall? Anyway, again congrats and also on one great season you put in!
2008-09-25 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Congratulations!  That's an excellent time - especially for your first HIM!

2008-09-25 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1693937

User image

I appreciate the kind words.  It was an awesome experience ... glad you had a good experience too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Savageman HIM Rss Feed