General Discussion Race Reports! » Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hightstown, New Jersey
United States
Matrix
64F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 57m 13s
Overall Rank = 148/150
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 40/4
Pre-race routine:

Slept horribly and eventually only had about 3.5hrs of sleep. Woke up with the alarm at 4:30. Mike woke the boys while I got dressed. I had packed my bag with gear earlier in the week and all had to do was pull out my gatorade and water for the day. I ate a banana that sat like a lead ball in my stomach. Looking back, I probably should have had more to drink. We arrived at 5:30 and I got checked in and set up my stuff in transition. It was very dark. I am so glad I brought my flashlight. I mentally rehearsed transitions and made sure I had all the stuff set out that I needed. I did cover my bike seat with a bag and used a large trash bag to cover my shoes and other gear. Glad I did that.
Event warmup:

At 7am, there was a practice swim and I took advantage of that to adjust to the cold water temp. RD said the water was about 70 but I think it was colder. At this point it had started to rain a little harder. I did a bit of stretching after the swim.
Swim
  • 09m 48s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim start was a bit rough with a bit of bumping. I did start a few strokes with my head out of the water but then I settled in and followed a guy's feet until I got some free space. I was very happy to be able to pass several swimmers. I did breath every stroke and had to make sure to keep kicking my feet because the water was cold. I did the entire swim freestyle.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

I had no problem at all getting my wetsuit off. I did not use the foot bath or the squirt bottle to clean off my feet. I did get a bit dizzy when I bent down to get my bike shoes. I drank a little bit of gatorade and took some deep breaths. I had rolled my socks and it made it much easier to get them on since my feet were wet anyway. I was glad that I had covered my stuff even though everything was going to get wet anyway. I was able to do a quick walk, slight run with my bike shoes but was able to get mounted and on my way without any problems.

I would like to get out of my wetsuit and into my bike shoes faster and not be dizzy after the swim
Bike
  • 47m 17s
  • 10 miles
  • 12.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Considering that it was raining pretty hard with lots of puddles and some more than 90 degree turns, I am very pleased with this ride. I was able to keep moving and did not fall at all. I increased my cadence for the last mile in hopes that it would help my legs for the run

Not much considering the road conditions. I am glad we had ridden the course a few times. If the weather was dry, I would have pushed myself harder. Try to ride without socks.
Transition 2
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Not a bad transition but had a hard time getting my sneakers on - probably because my feet/socks were soaking wet. At first I could not decide whether to wear my hat or not and probably wasted a little bit of time deciding. I did ultimately put it on.

Made sure my sneakers were open a bit more so that I could just slide my feet in. Maybe try running without socks and maybe learn how to dismount and leave my shoes on my pedals.
Run
  • 53m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 17m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite trying to stretch as I came out of transition, my calves and shins were so crampy and tight that it hurt to walk, much less run. I had to stop several times to try to stretch them out and almost quit the entire race but dug deep and kept moving. I walked probably the first 1.5miles before my legs started loosening up. At that point, they felt better running than walking. I alternated 2 minutes walking and 2 minutes running for the last half of the run. When I got to the last turn, I was ahead of another runner (and far enough ahead of him that I could have finsihed in front of him) but did not know where the turn was - the volunteers had left their spot and there were no signs. At this point I was near tears and just wanted to be done. I waited for the gentleman to catch up to me and together we decided to turn. I ran with him a bit but could not keep up and ultimately finished about 1 minute behind him.

Figure out how to stop the leg cramping so that I can run the whole darn 5k! Make sure I know the course turns so I don't have to rely on the volunteers.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and packed up my gear from transition. Then went and had ART done on my legs. That HURT but felt so much better after he was done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather, my legs cramping during the run

Event comments:

As a firt time event for the race organizers, they did a great job and were definitely open to suggestions/comments for next year. With the exception of those volunteers not being at that last turn on the run, the volunteers were AMAZING and one reason why I did not quit on the run. I will definitely consider doing this race again next year.

Last updated: 2008-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:48 | 437 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 69/150
Performance: Good
I was in the last swim wave with the clydes,younger and older age groups and relay teams.
Suit: 2XU SC:2 sleeveless rental
Course: The course was a straight swim to the first right turn buoy then a short distance to the next right turn and then a swim to the final buoy and a left to the boat ramp
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:17 | 10 miles | 12.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 137/150
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop with lots of turns - well marked
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:53:09 | 03.11 miles | 17m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 149/150
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly paved course through Peddie School and a local neighborhood, fairly flat - not well marked but volunteers at all but the last turn (which ultimately cost me time)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-29 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park

2008-09-29 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1704474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park
Congrats Randi! Way to tough it out in rough conditions and cramping... You got the job done! Awesome!!!
2008-09-29 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Great job Randi!  I can't believe those volunteers leaving their post.   But at least you kept going despite all of the yucky weather and cramping.
2008-09-30 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
great job!  thank goodness you had a wetsuit, i heard there were some hypothermia cases
2008-09-30 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great job on a rough day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park Rss Feed