General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carpinteria, California
United States
Carpinteria Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 02m 42s
Overall Rank = 247/320
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up, made coffee, had a bagel and peanut butter which I only ate half of, like usual. Dolores drove us to the race site, racked on the 20-24 rack which was also the 19 and under and the 50 and over (might have been 55) rack (not a whole lot of us in those age groups I guess). A few of my friends from home came to watch so I went and saw them, said hi to Tim (Waterdogg) and Verna (mixie) too. Had just enough time to apply sunscreen, chat with a couple of olympic first timers, go the bathroom and put on my wetsuit before heading to the ocean around 7:20.
Event warmup:

Swam out about 30 feet into the ocean and back just to get a bit adjusted to the temp, barely made it to the start in time.
Swim
  • 31m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

For some reason active.com doesn't have my swim/t1 split but photocrazy does, so I'm using their numbers.

Overall a good swim, I'd never been a wave with guys before which was different, and besides the fact that I had no idea what the course was and it was too foggy to see beyond 20 ft or so, I'm happy with my actual swimming. I got in and was able to start swimming more or less right away, I didn't panic and I just followed the crowd. My form probably could have been more efficient, but I spent so much time trying to sight that I wasn't thinking about it too much. When I did it was good though.

A bunch of us got to the first buoy where the sprinters turned in and actually stopped and were all asking each other "hey, are you doing the olympic" because we were all not sure where we were going :). Fortunately a lifeguard in a canoe told us to keep going so we did.
What would you do differently?:

Get there a little earlier so I could hear about the swim course. Or pay attention to that flyer in the packet :).
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

It was so awesome having all my friends there to cheer me as I came in off the swim and then make fun of me as I struggled with my wetsuit :p. Actually there wasn't much struggling, I was able to get the top half off as I ran up the sand and down the extremely long transition area, and I found time to put my hair down so it didn't get crammed under my helmet again.

Turn the Garmin on BEFORE the race starts.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, overall a good ride, had some trouble with shifting on a couple of the hills, I guess I didn't do it fast enough and my chain get making this grinding noise and jumping around. Oh well. I actually got in aero for a few good sections, my first time on a real road which was exciting. I was a little scared at first, but I told myself to stop being such a _____, but I felt comfortable by the end. Hills weren't too bad, Toro canyon was a bit harder than I remembered, but Ortega wasn't as bad. Almost raced the train there at the end but the arms weren't down yet so I think I was ok :).

I managed to get in a few clif shot bloks and remembered to drink some water which was good.

Get a new bike :), j/k. Nothing, really, maybe just overall bike fitness.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

"jumping off moving bike" that's funny because I'm so not coordinated enough for that. Might have been a bit faster, I was kind of chatting with my friends on the other side of the transition fence. Found my spot easily enough (we were the only rack with 3 age group signs) which was good and I remembered to untie my shoes beforehand, also good.

Pick up the pace a little, not stop and take a sip of the water bottle and look around trying to figure out if I was missing something.
Run
  • 57m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Another reminder that I really need to work on my bike/run bricks. I was really happy with a sub 1:00 10k though so not too many complaints. I could feel the side stitches and chest pain coming on at some points so I made myself slow down a bit, had to keep reminding myself not to worry so much about the other people and just focus on my own goals. Drank some water at most of the stops, and just tried to keep a comfortable pace.

A woman passed me near the end and I thought she had a 21 on the back of her leg which brought the competitiveness in me out. I knew if I got all anxious though it would just make me slower because my heart rate would go out of control so I concentrated on just tailing her close, finally about a 100 meters from the finish I pulled ahead of her (thank you long legs) and she didn't try to catch me so I just brought it in as fast as I could. Turned out she wasn't in my age group, but she got me to make a strong finish so whatever.

More bricks
Post race
Warm down:

About a minute after I finished I saw Dolores and she says "Matt was in a crash they took him to the hospital I got most of his stuff already" so needless to say there wasn't a lot of warm-down, grabbed some food and stuffed my face as fast as I could since I was starving. Saw my friends for a second and chatted with Verna as I packed up my stuff then headed over to Dolores's car so we could go to the hospital :(, but that's a whole 'nother story.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

General fitness and experience. This will probably be my last tri for the year and I'm happy with the improvements I've made, I know I've got many more years of improvements to make though :)

Event comments:

I thought it was a great race, almost too on time :). The volunteers were great, there were lots of aid stations and people telling you exactly where to go, and what to look out for. The bike course is challenging but not impossible.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:58 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 178/320
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: I still have no idea what the hell that course was it was so foggy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:27:31 | 24.85 miles | 17.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 242/320
Wind: None
Course: hilly!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:14 | 06.21 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 254/320
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-01 12:55 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-10-01 1:36 AM
in reply to: #1707942

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Love it!  Love the RR - pics are awesome.  You are awesome.  Congrats on a great race!
2008-10-01 2:12 AM

User image

Melon Presser

You are unbelievable. Super congrats on pulling off an amazing race and on the hardware ... (were you around to collect it? Write the race dirs if you weren't).

Blazing fast. You have come so far on the swim--anything under 2:00/100 is so solid, esp. for getting lost ... 17 ave on the bike? WTF??? I'll take YOUR bike any day, heh! And the run ... sub-1 for a tri 10K ... I'm dreaming of the day I do ONE mile at that pace. (Okay, maybe 3).

It's so awesome. Soon I'll be able to tell Faeron stories instead of Galloway stories. "You know, I ran with Faeron back when she trained at 13:00 miles ... no, it's true! I swear! I was even at her tri-cherry-popping ... you know, FAERON SAYS ..."  

2008-10-01 3:30 PM

User image

Expert

It would appear that Yanti has some dirt^^^^^

Great job on your race and congrats on the podium finish. That is really cool. I'd say that was a successful season! Have a good offseason and I look forward to seeing what you do next year!

2008-10-02 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Congrats on the 2nd place finish! You rocked it! I love how everyone stopped in the middle of the swim not knowing where to go. Priceless. I also love the wetsuit pic! Too cool!

Great job out there! Enjoy taking it easy for a while before next season!

2008-10-02 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Great job out ther Faeron

It is always cool to see some of the cool kids at races and even better to bump into them out on the course. I think I remember passing you on the bike heading into Toro Canyon but I can't be sure. (You were in a pack of folks I think)

I was a bit suprised to not see Matt out on the run course with you since I remembered that you both were in the same wave, but then I did not expect that the rider I saw on the side of the road to be him. (I did not find out until Monday)

Sounds like you really rocked the course which was tough this year owing to the fog during the swim. (Lots of folks got really lost)

See you in Arizona in November. (And hopefully in line on Monday)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed