General Discussion Race Reports! » Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hightstown, New Jersey
United States
Matrix
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 18m 51s
Overall Rank = 80/150
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

The night before we had my daughter's 4th b-day party at the house and I ate way too much pizza, ice cream and cake. Morning of the race woke up at 5:00, walked the dog, double checked all my gear and headed out to pick up my Dad. Stopped after picking him up and grabbed a bagel with PB. Arrived at the race sit about 1 hour prior to start and was still nice out. The registration area was a bit disjointed but eventually go in the correct line and got registered and body marked. Went into transition and got a spot. The had the racks organized by wave. Set up my towel, socks/shoes, race belt, etc. Went over to the water to check on temp and felt pretty cold so decided it was a wetsuit day. Started raining so I went back to the car to get Dad's umbrella so he didn't get soaked.
Event warmup:

Swam about 50M out and back to get used to having my face in the cold water and it felt good. Found my friends who had arrived and helped them get organized. Really started raining hard now and through the pre race instructions.
Swim
  • 13m 44s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Awful, awful, awful. Started out at the back of the pack and was doing ok for me. Right near the 1st buoy (about 50M out) my goggles filled up. Grabbed the buoy and straightened them out. Swam about 3 strokes and they filled up again. Went back to buoy to straighten out. About 2 more strokes and filling up again. Contemplated just throwing them into the lake but instead just flipped over to my back and started backstroking. Determined that I can't really do a backstroke as I was agonizingly slow. Periodically tried to go freestyle but all the water kept pouring into my goggles and I just couldn't swim at all that way.
What would you do differently?:

Buy new goggles prior to my next race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Had a good transition. Most of the suit was off by the time I arrived at my T1 place. Sat down to get off my feet and put my socks/shoes on. Popped on my helmet and glasses and took a few drinks of gatorade. I was only 10 feet from the end of transition so stepped out and ran the 30 or so feet to the mount line, jumped on and off I went.

Not much. Have something covering my glasses so they didn't get so wet.
Bike
  • 38m 20s
  • 10.2 miles
  • 15.97 mile/hr
Comments:

It was raining the whole time so I hammered pretty hard on the straights but played it way conservative on the turns as there were a number of folks who wiped out ahead of me. I passed way more people than passed me (3 to 1 ratio I'd say) and was doing good. At the end of the 2nd loop at the last intersection someone said 2nd loop go left and that's all I heard. I took that to mean if you're on your 2nd loop but it evidently meant that way to your 2nd loop. After about 1 minute or so I slowed down, asked a guy I was passing what lap he was on and realized I screwed up somehow. Turned around and was somewhat disoriented on what to do even though I'm familiar with the town and the area we were biking in. Asked a guy in the Peddie School driveway if he knew which way I needed to go. He said straight ahead through the intersection to Wachovia (Transition was in it's parking area). Finally had some sense of urgency kick in and busted it all the way back to T2. Probably wasted about 3 to 3.5 minutes all told

Uh, not make a wrong turn.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Great transition for me. Jumped off right at the dismount line, ran to my rack. Dropped bike on rack, hat on, belt on, swim of gatorade and take off running.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off and felt some tightness in both calves so stayed within myself until they started to loosen up. Then I started just picking out a person ahead of me and catching them. This seemed to work well as before I knew it I could hear the crowd. At that point I started running harder and turned for home. Right before the finish line you had to go up 3 steps and then down 3 steps in the pouring rain. Probably not the best of ideas. Navigated them with one big leap both ways without incident.

As usual I could stand to run harder especially the 2nd half of the run when I have my heart rate well in control.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my hat and a water and waited for my slower 2 friends to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Goggles, swimming, weather and wrong turns.

Event comments:

1st time race with only about 3 months of set up time from race inception. The good news is the race organizer is actively soliciting feedback for improving the race. Since it's so close will probably give it another try next year.

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:44 | 437 yards | 03m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Bad
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back with a left turn to the exit about 2/3 of the way back.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:20 | 10.2 miles | 15.97 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2 laps with 24 turns each and a confusing intersection.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:58 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Some gently rolling hills but pretty much just a tour through the town and the school.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-03 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hightstown Sprint Triathlon for the Sk8-park Rss Feed