Fairfax Pets on Wheels
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

NOTICE: The following race report has been dictated to me by my dog Moxley, as it really was *his* race. :)

Well, this is my first race ever, so most of this is new to me. First, got extra treats before bed the night before - apparently this is "carb-loading" and I like it!

Got up Sunday morning, light breakfast and a romp around the backyard. Girl said we weren't leaving for another hour so I went back to bed.

Went up to the pet store and did "packet pickup" - the girl got a t-shirt. I did all the training and SHE gets a shirt? I hope it makes her look fat.
Event warmup:

Meet & greet with a TON of other dogs and dog people. Lots of walking around the start area to get loosened up. Sent the girl to get goodies from all the vets at the event. (Editor's note: Next year I need pants with more pockets for all the giveaways.)

Listened to the music, was told several times where I could NOT go to the bathroom. What is a Bose speaker anyway, and why won't the girl let me get near it?
Run
  • 36m 31s
  • 2.01 miles
  • 18m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Everything I know about races, I learned from the girl, cause whenever she races, she won't stop talking about it all afternoon. I paid attention!

We set off to "Who let the dogs out" on the speakers. Really??? That DJ couldn't find some Rufus Thomas? Ah well, the music was still great to get going with - it makes the girl go faster so I don't have to drag her.

We walked through the parking lot and into the neighborhood. It's really different from walking at home - the mailboxes are closer together and the dogs here have yards in the front they can hang out in cause they have fences in the front. Wish we had that at home.

The girl was right when she said racing was always different from training. I really felt like I could fly! I passed lots of other dogs as we went along - I would just pick a tail and decide to pass it. A lot of the other dogs were out in the street, but I'm not stupid - I know we should stay on the sidewalks and only cross the street at the corners.

There were some dogs in their yards, and they were really upset that they weren't out with us. Talk to your people! Make them do this next year!

We hit the 1K mark and the girl said I have the same problem she does - apparently I went out too fast, and we finished the first K in under 10 minutes. I'll be honest, I was feeling it a little bit, so we stopped and had a drink of water. Good call.

Then we went over a hill and there was an aid station! Awesome! More water and biscuits and stuff for the people, too. I took my time since I'd gone so fast too early.

For the 2nd K I slowed down to a more reasonable pace. Take a little extra time when I stop and sniff things, stuff like that. It really helped. Then the breeze really kicked in and it felt AWESOME. We did the second K in 12:39, which was a much better pace. It's good to have a girl with a Garmin along, cause I can't read.

Just before the second aid station, we were at the corner waiting to cross, and a police officer drives up to talk to the girl. I don't know what she does when I am not around, but man, she is a cop magnet. Once she chased him off, we headed into the second aid station. Got another biscuit and a drink. The girl got some chips, but I made her feel so guilty for not sharing that after a few minutes, she had to put them in her pocket. Serves her right for not sharing!

As we came into the end, the girl asked if we were going to sprint into the finish. Well, she always does it, so off I went. I heard her yelling something about she was only kidding, but too late - we were off and running!!

We finished and the girl hugged me and told me I had my first PR and that I did a great job.
What would you do differently?:

I had a really good time, I can't see how it could have been better!
Post race
Warm down:

I sat under one of the tables to take advantage of the shade, and had a drink. Stole some cake from the girl - I thought I was sneaky, but I had frosting on my nose so she knew I'd gotten some.

Took a nap in the car on the way home, then played some ball and took another nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only the fact that my legs are kind of short. I trained a lot for this and I was ready for the distance.

Event comments:

OK, this is the girl talking. This is a GREAT event. Very well supported, two aid stations with goodies for the pups and the people and everyone just has a terrific time. Mox was spectacular with all the other dogs.

Pets on Wheels is the beneficiary for this event and they take dogs to nursing homes to visit with the residents, and I am very glad we were able to get out there and support them today.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:31 | 02.01 miles | 18m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
3.23K from Garmin: 1 - 9:53/k 2 - 12:39/k 3 - 12:07/k .23 - 1:51 (7:56/k)
Course: Nice shaded neighborhood walk. Lots of grass and things to smell!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-05 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Paws for A Cause

2008-10-05 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1719221

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Paws for A Cause
Wow, congrats to Mox for doing an AWESOME job on his first race!!!  Okay, I guess the girl did okay too.   Sounds like a great day for both of you!
2008-10-05 6:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Spokes 2008-10-05 6:12 PM
2008-10-05 7:38 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Congrats!  You guys rock.  Awesome race report and I'm glad thay you guys had fun. 

Ernie

2008-10-06 8:22 AM

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Dictated to moxley from Sara, by man who read the report to Sarah

Great job by you and the girl! I love butt sniffing!

Sarah
2008-10-07 9:29 PM

Master
Canandaigua
Great job!  I read to Sam I don't think she understood it but enjoyed it.  Who knows maybe she can come down and race with you. 

2008-10-09 3:43 PM

Chattanooga, TN
VERY NICE.  Now for the Paws for A Cause Triathlon!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Paws for A Cause Rss Feed