Lake Lanier Island, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions, LLC.
Total Time = 1h 21m 59s
Overall Rank = 269/742
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 11/20
Pre-race routine:

Since Britni had borrowed my car the day before and I came home late my routine basically consisted of getting up cooking some oatmeal and gathering all my stuff together. Forturnately as many of my friends know, I keep all kinds of stuff in a box in my car. I just had to get up at 4:15 and lay everything out to make sure that I had everthing. Ate my oatmeal, got everything ready to go, loaded the bike and headed out.
Event warmup:

I usually like to warm up for the swim during the first 100 yards of the the swim. It takes up less energy that way. :) I warm up for the bike by swimming, for the run by biking. :) It just all kind of works out. If you are not going very fast, warming up is not quite as important as it is for fast people.
Swim
  • 09m 15s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Although the 9:15 may look a bit slow, it includes the run from the beach up the hill to transition. I was actually fairly pleased with the swim. We stared waves every 4 or 5 minutes apart. It was sort of funny. I was thinking that I usually do fairly well on the swims so I got in front and in the middle this time and then... those people took off like there was school of sharks behind us. I was thinking, there is now way I can keep up with these guys. They must be really fast. I think I was in last place of the pack of 20 within the first 50 yards. I decided to swim my pace and let them go. It was pretty amusing to see that before we ever got to the first bouy, these guys were doing the breathstroke and whatever to catch their breaths. By the time we got to the second bouy, I did not see anymore red caps and I was swimming with the yellow caps. I even passed several blue and dark blue caps. I am not so sure those people even finished. Anyway, I felt good on the swim. I wish they had the timing mat at the water instead of at the transition area so that I could see what my speed was because it felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I was satisfied. I am glad that I let everyone leave me at the beginning. I think I was at my edge before the breathing problems hit you like they did all those other guys. I would not have missed that for anything. It was so funny to see how fast those guys were going at first, feeling like "wow, I am a really slow swimmer compared to these people", and then within just a very short distance, catching them as they are all struggling to to breathe from their 40 yard sprints.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

I do not know why I am so slow in transition. You would think that I wore my wetsuit, but I didn't. I did see a guy near me come in after I did wearing a wetsuit and leaving transition before I did. I actually thought it was kind of funny.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, at this point, I still do not really care about transition time. That is probably why I am so slow at it. I would like to have a video of me in transition and compare it to other people because I do not feel slow... I just am.
Bike
  • 40m 12s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed the bike course. It certainly is not flat as the race website describes it though. I really enjoyed it though. I passed a lot of people and had very few people pass me. I had several women pass me like I was standing still though. They started at least 4 mintues behind me in the next swim wave and caught me fairly early on the bike. I only had one person in my age group pass me on the bike although, I was 10th out of 20 on the bike. All in all it was a descent ride for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Again, I am just slow in transition. All you have to do in transition fromt he bike to run is change shoes and take off your helmet. I guess I just do not do those things very quickly.
Run
  • 28m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Hmmmmm? To be honest I was a bit surpised that I was only 16th out of 20 when my average speed was 9:08/mile considering that is basically where I had been placing with much slower run times, oh well. I cramped just a little when I first started running, but I was actually pleased with my run time considering where I was just a couple of months ago. I am actually passing people while running. That is a welcome change. :) I only had one person from my age group pass me on the run. I have a loooong way to go, but I am improving.
Post race
Event comments:

I had a good time as usual. I hung out with a lot of friend that I have made over the last couple of years. We had a great time. That is why I do these races. That and to give me something to keep me working out and in shape. I am satisfied with my progress since my main goal is to get in shape. Over the last couple of years, I have progressively gotten in better and better shape. I started working on swimming, then biking, and now I have started on running. I really only started running about March of this year except for doing triathlons. I am going to start trying to get a little better at each thing slowly now.

This is my last race of the year. I have had a lot of good times with some great people while I have progressively gotten in better shape. The thing that I am most proud of for this year is lowering my cholesterol from 236 to 177. The doctor did not think that I could do it without drugs, but I did. Good health and good times are what the sport of triathlons is to me.

Last updated: 2008-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:15 | 400 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 0/742
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:12 | 13 miles | 19.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Performance: Good
My bike computer had the distance at 12.63 which calculates my average speed at 18.8 mph as compared to their 19.4 mph.
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:19 | 03.11 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/20
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: Emerald Pointe Triathlon

2008-10-06 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1721544

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Emerald Pointe Triathlon

Awesome job, Neal!!  By the way, isn't that "box" in your car more like a full retail bike and tri store?  I've seen it before and you have EVERYTHING in that thing...

Congrats again on a great race!

2008-10-06 3:42 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

What flavor of latte are you getting in T1?

We had a great time cheering for you and your hard work on the run is showing.

2008-10-06 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Very nice race.  It was great seeing you yesterday.
2008-10-06 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Macon, GA
Great race Neal.
2008-10-08 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Neal!  It's meant to be fun and sounds like it was.

2008-10-08 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Nice race, Neal!
It's great to hear from a triathlete who's actually happy with his/her performance despite age group rankings.

2008-10-08 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
BFE
Great race Neal. Good times for sure..............oh and you're still a sandbagger.
2008-10-08 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Cumming, GA

Neal:

I'm sorry I missed you (again!).  We really do have to meet in person.  Seems we do a lot of the same rides and races.  I'll be at the Sawnee-Burnt Mountain Century Challenge next weekend.  If you're going, drop me a line.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Pointe Triathlon Rss Feed