Setup Events
49F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 45s
Overall Rank = 45/183
Age Group = w40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/29
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in a hotel near the race site so we didn't have to get up until 5:15. Ate 2 mini-bagels with peanut butter, drank some water and headed to the race site. Once at the race site, got marked, set up my transition and waited in the port-o-john line. Drank a Boost about 90 minutes before my start time.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Just tried to stay warm since it was 40-something degrees. I will remember to bring gloves to B2B.
Swim
  • 27m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Standing on the shore looking out at the swim course I couldn't see the buoys. The fog was so think they were all hidden. So I wade into the water and await the start knowing the general direction of the buoys b/c that's the direction all the other waves swam. So, I take off and hope for the best. I do finally see the first navigation buoy so I pass it and keep swimming hard. I keep trying to sight on the turn buoy but I can't see it. I even resort to breastroke but I can not see a triangular buoy anywhere. Plus there are swimmers all over the place. Some to my right, some to my left. So I just keep plugging along, still looking for the buoy. All of the sudden I hear someone screaming 'Over here, over here' and I look behind me, to my right and I make out a person on a surfboard directing swimmers to the buoy. Which, to add insult to injury, is deflated. So I start to swim on and ignore her but I can't. I knew I wouldn't feel good about my race if I knowingly cut the course. So...I turn around and swim all the way back and around the buoy. Now the faster swimmers have gotten away from me and I've got to fight my way back through the pack. I really didn't let it bother me though and I worked really hard on the way back in to make up some time. I'm pretty sure it cost me 2 or more minutes though. But don't worry...no good deed goes unpunished.
What would you do differently?:

Ignore the girl on the surf board. ;)
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Not a good transition. I'm always light-headed after an Oly distance swim and this was no exception. I was stumbling around and had to hold onto the rack while I put my shoes on. Once I'm moving again, I'm fine.

Maybe I should use a bucket to sit on for longer races so I'm not stumbling around.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 54s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.45 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good ride for me. The first 10 miles are the toughest and I really pushed through here. The course was crowded at times and I got caught in a couple of small packs along the way. I really tried to either make the pass or ease back out of drafting position. Unfortunately, the USAT official came by right as I was waiting for the guy in front of me to make a pass. He wasn't able to make the pass quick enough and I ended up stuck behind. I was debating whether to pass them both (3 wide) or ease off. I decided to make it 3 wide but it was too late. They pulled up beside me and wrote down my number. I wonder if the other guy got a blocking penalty?

After that I really started to pay attention to my power. This was my first race using the PowerTap and I was interested to see how it worked. It was awesome. I stayed right where I wanted to be, had a great bike split and still had legs left for the run. I'm very excited to have the PT for B2B.

Not get a penalty.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

First race where I racked my bike by the seat (because of AeroBottle) so that threw me off a little but other than that, I was in and out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 53m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt pretty tight coming out of transition but I just concentrated on quick cadence and sang my little "Just put one foot in front of the other" song and by mile 3 they felt fine. Another girl and I came out of transition together and paced each other all the way through mile 5. At mile 6 she started to fall behind, I tried to get her to come with me but she couldn't. I felt REALLY strong that last mile and I took off. It might have been my fastest mile.

I had a lot left when I finished. I've got to learn to push harder on the run and not be afraid to blow up. But really, this was a good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, found Jeff and Jonathan, got some water and stretched. As I was leaving I ran into Carol (keyone), Dick (spot) and Bill (fgump). It was awesome!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fog

Event comments:

Even with all my screw-ups this was still a great race. It was more of a hard training day for me and I really enjoyed it. I think since it was just a training race, I didn't let things get me down.. and I'm glad. Even with the 2 minute penalty, I still beat my push goal time of 1:40 (1:37:45 before penalty). :)

This is one of my favorite race venues and I will be back.

Last updated: 2008-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/29
Overall: 51/183
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR Full
Course: Triangular with a long return leg.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:54 | 24.85 miles | 20.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/29
Overall: 24/183
Performance:
NP 158 -- 96% of FTP -- right where I wanted to be
Wind: None
Course: Sort of a lollipop course with lots of rollers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:09 | 06.21 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 68/183
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly neighborhood loop around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2008-10-06 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1722452

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon

great race (especially if it was 1:39 )

Really impressed with the swim and the bike, particularly with swimming almost 1.2 miles having to back up around the buoy.  That run is coming along great as well.  you will do great at B2B so long as you watch your step on those stairs (j/k)

See you in wilmington.

2008-10-07 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Great race!! Its suppose to pay to be honest so that penalty kinda sucks. See you at B2B.
2008-10-07 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Alice, great race report. I enjoyed reading it. I'm impressed with your honesty about the swim course. I bet some of those fast times in your age group were in that group that took the short cut.

Really sucks about the drafting penalty. I hope that guy got called for blocking. At the awards, they announced they were making changes for next year. One is to reroute the bike course to enable the swim waves to be farther spaced to help with crowding. They also were going to reverse the run course, but I can't remember why.

We could both always switch to masters open and really avoid those crowds!!!

Anyway, great race and good luck at B2B!

2008-10-08 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Sounds like you had a great race!  Congrats.  I am also impressed on you going back to complete the swim correctly.  But you have the satisfaction of knowing you raced honestly.  You are hands down a top shelf triathlete. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed