City Tri
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, ate 2 packets oatmeal and banana and drank some GE. Met boyfriend at his house since he was driving me. The jerk was still asleep!!! We didn't leave Philly till 5:30...30 minutes behind schedule. We got lost on the way and I was so nervouse I almost puked. Things were not looking good.
Event warmup:

Tried not to puke. Oh, and spent some time tryign to fix my back tire...more on that to come.
Swim
  • 37m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I did half the IM placid course this year and clocked in at 37 (and that was swimming easy, no drafting). So I expected to swim this race at around 33-34 min. I was surprised I came out of the water as slow as I did. Well, not that surprised if I think about it. I spent so much time trying to draft that I wasn't getting into a good rythem and I think that hindered me. With such a small race, it's not worth it to try and draft..it takes more energy and more time.
What would you do differently?:

Focus on me and my stroke rather then constantly adjucting my stroke so I could draft.
Transition 1
  • 05m 34s
Comments:

Run up a beach and then long run to transition. I decided to walk the beach since there was no point in me jacking my HR up that early in the day. I also spent a good amount of time drying off and putting compression socks on. I knew it would take time but pay off in the end.

Nada
Bike
  • 3h 22m 56s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Oi!! So I started out on my bike completely mashing it and only going 13 mph. What the frigg??? I thought maybe my HR was spiking (which it was) and I was just working harder cuz of that. It took a good minute to remember my tire had been jacked earlier that morning. I get off and smack it around and get going again. The problem was still there though. So after about 6 miles of mashing, I am ready to quit. I can't handle 50 more miles of this shit. I then remind myself quitting isn't an option and to just get the bike done, no matter how slow I go. I dismount again and this time spent a few minutes trying to fix the tire better. What was happenign was the brakes were rubbing BIG time on the tire. I had to completely depress then and still they rubbed a little bit. The entire ride felt like I was going uphill. I also had to stop another time to retrieve a gel flask I had launched. I don't know when my attitude changed, but it did. I decided to have fun and just go with it. I stuck to my nutrition plan on target which I was UBER happy with. I had wrote the word EAT on every available piece of skin as a reminder to myself. It worked!

Even though my bike had JUST been serviced, it got bungled on the way to the race. My lack of knowledge on how to fix it hindered me big time. I was hoping for at least an 18mph avg and would have hit it no problem had things went different.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Nice and easy T2. Hat and belt on, off I go.

Nada
Run
  • 2h 15m 58s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is my worst, absolute worst discipline. I wanted to hit 10min/miles but knew deep down that was a major pipe dream. I started out on the run and just told myself I woudl run to the first aide stop and see how I felt. I got there and I felt great...wtf!?! I sipped my water as I walked along. Once the water was gone, I was more then ready to run again. I was feeling GREAT! It was then I decided it was goign to be fun and I was going to smile as much as I could. I high fived people, encouraged as many as I could, walked the water stops while I drank and jogged along in between. Things started to hurt but I barely noticed cuz I was enjoying it so much. My HR never went above Z2 which is rare for me when I run. I have to say, of all my runs, this was the most enjoyable yet...and it was after 58 miles on the bike!!! I know I could have pushed harder, but I just wanted to savor the time I had out there. I amazed myself at how natural the distance felt and how easy it seemed.

Nothing...this pace was great for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Bounced all over the place. I was still running around when I was done I was so excited!! AND, I was actually hungry. Shocker!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight. I'm about 10-15 lbs over what I want to be...but I am meeting with a nutritionist soon and all will be taken care of.

Event comments:

I was scared outta my mind going into this race. Had I done enough miles on the bike? Had my runs been worthy? Would my knees hold up? Would I remember my nutrition? This race was great. For the first time, I felt like a true triathlete. I had fun, ignored the pain or dealt with it, and raced my race. I loved the distance, I loved the course, I had 100% control over my mind and didn't let it get the better of me. I think focusign on others helped me not focus on myself. Even though I didn't hit the numbers I wanted to, I am more then thrilled with my performance!

Last updated: 2008-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:41 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: S1
Course: 2 laps of a very confusing course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:22:56 | 58 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 loop course in shape of lolipop. Mostly flat
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:15:58 | 13.2 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 2 loop through the woods. Lots of turns, mostly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-08 3:14 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia
Subject: Bassman Fall Half Iron Distance

2008-10-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1728116

Veteran
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Bassman Fall Half Iron Distance
Great Job!!! I thought the area was a beautiful place for a race. I did the swim leg of a relay team then spent the rest of the day cheering people on. I think I had more fun then if I had participated.

Glad you enjoyed it. I will probably do the entire race next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bassman Fall Half Iron Distance Rss Feed