Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 47s
Overall Rank = 3/9
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, bathroom, stretching.
Event warmup:

Did very little jogging...afraid to do too much in case it would bother my knees. Did a little bike, maybe about a mile, just to make sure it was in the right gear and to recognize where to enter the transition area. About 5 minutes before the swim start, I decided to try out my shoulder. The waves were rough, and I was a bit nervous going into this swim, so I figured I might as well try it out before the race even started. BIG mistake! I nearly got swallowed up by the waves. They were HUGE! I ended up with sand in my suit and the race hadn't even started yet! I made sure to pray A LOT while I was waiting for the gun to go off!

Swim
  • 17m 19s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was one of the scariest swims I've ever had. Partly because my shoulder isn't completely up to snuff, partly because I thought it was going to be a 400 yd swim so I didn't train for a 750 meter swim, and MOSTLY BECAUSE THE OCEAN WAS SOOOOO ROUGH! It took me longer to get out to the first buoy (at least it felt like it) then to do the rest of the swim! The wind was blowing right into shore, creating huge waves, all the way out to the buoys. There was no relief from that. I was so afraid I was going to hurt myself I came DARN close to DNFing right there! But I knew Bob was on shore ready to cheer me on and take pictures. I just couldn't. Swimming parallel to shore was definitely not easy, but much better than it was going out. Then, finally, it was time to turn into shore and this was where it got nervous again. During the warmup, this is where I got swallowed up by the waves more than any other time. I said an extra prayer and after what seemed like forever, I made it to shore.
What would you do differently?:

Know how far the race distance is so I would TRAIN for it properly! Also, bring the wetsuit! I wasn't sure what the water temps would be, but I had thought about packing the wetsuit the day before just in case, and it totally slipped my mind! About 75% of the people there had them.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

It was a very long run from the beach, up the soft-sand hill to where I put my water shoes to wear for the loooong run through the gravelly parking lot into the gravelly transition area. MAN, I'm glad I had them. It was worth the extra time it took to put those shoes on so my feet wouldn't hurt!

Nothing. This is my first race back in a year...I was just hoping to finish today.
Bike
  • 37m 53s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.01 mile/hr
Comments:

My heart was pounding from the swim. Even though I tried to jog more relaxed into T1, my heart rate was still high when I got onto the bike. I stayed in the small chainring for the first mile just to try to calm down my breathing and HR. This was such a small race that there wasn't a lot of people to see on the course. However, there was always soemone I could sight on further up the road as a "carrot" for me to chase. It helped a lot.

Nothing. Just trying to get thru the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Since I was running barefoot into a sandy, gravelly transition area, I had to take a bit of time to wipe off my feet before putting on my run shoes. I think that was the only thing that slowed me down.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The part that is usually my strongest point is now my nemesis. I was nervous about how my stupidity would be. I have only worked my way up to running one 5K distance in training, and that was just a few days ago. My rational brain said "just walk when I need to", but my competitive brain said "yeah, right!" Actually, I did have to walk for a little bit on the way back, but not necessarily because of my knees. I actually got a side stitch! I haven't had one of those in years! Very odd.

Nothing. First race in over a year and I'm happy with surviving the whole thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Biked a slow 3 miles down A1A and back. Drank my Recoverite. Did some walking, stretching, showered and changed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries over the past year, not quite healed yet.

Event comments:

This was a very small race by the RD's design. It was a combo sprint/oly in both triathlon and duathlon, so there were actually 4 races going on at once, and maybe 150 people all together. It's a great race for a beginner (except for the huge surf) because there is only one u-turn and
it's not too crowded.

I had so many reservations about even doing this race today because of injuries, but I'm glad I did it.

Last updated: 2008-10-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:19 | 820 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 6/9
Performance: Average
Suit: tri-bra and tri-shorts
Course: An "L" shaped course straight out from the beach, turn left and swim parallel to shore until the end of the last buoy, make a U-turn and swim the other way, then (FINALLY) turn into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:53 | 12 miles | 19.01 mile/hr
Overall: 3/9
Just for fun, I hit the lap counter at the turnaround to see if I could negative split the bike...I DID IT!! 19:41 1st half, 18:12 2nd half.
Wind: Some
Course: Straight out-and-back course down A1A. No getting lost for me!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:38 | 03.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 4/9
Negative splitted again, but I actually dont think I did really. I didn't remember to push the button until 20 meters or so after the turnaround. However, 12:52 1st half, 12:46 2nd half.
Course: Out and back along sidewalk on A1A.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-12 1:27 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Marineland "Best of" Triathlon

2008-10-12 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1736868

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Marineland "Best of" Triathlon
I am proud of you!! Glad it wasn't me swimming out there. You did a great job.
2008-10-13 5:33 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
What can I say??!!  You'd still kick my butt Grandma   Maybe I'll take a year off so I can bike and run that fast!!!  Ok, all kidding aside, you did AWESOME! I, too, am so proud of you   Welcome back!!!!
2008-10-13 7:12 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job Sharon as always...and you win again.....
2008-10-18 5:45 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida

I was worried about the water too!  You did great!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marineland "Best of" Triathlon Rss Feed