General Discussion Race Reports! » Royal Victoria Marathon/Half/8K : 8 km Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Royal Victoria Marathon/Half/8K : 8 km Road Race - Run8k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
10C / 50F
Overcast
Total Time = 29m 52s
Overall Rank = 44/1893
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 8/45
Pre-race routine:

-Got up at 5:30, had an english muffin with Honey and a bowl of granola with Milk (no yoghurt, ARGH!)

-Picked up my friend Matt who was coming to cheer me on and bike around the marathon course with me later on!

-Got to the start area at about 7:10 (for a 7:30 start)
Event warmup:

Did some jogging, some knee ups and bum kicks!
Run
  • 29m 52s
  • 8 kms
  • 03m 44s  min/km
Comments:

So, due to my stupidity, I left my need for the bathroom WAY TOO LATE and almost missed the start of the race... AND DIDNT EVEN END UP GETTING TO GO TO THE WASHROOM!

So I get to the start line, and realize I'm about 300 people from the front. FRICK, this is just like the Sun Run, my mind recycles over and over! The gun goes off and it takes me a good 20 seconds to get to the start line. Once I actually get up to pace, I spend the first km dashing in and out of well organized BLOCKADES of walking people who decided to start at the VERY front! GARRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Anyways, I start km 2 at pace and am feeling good despite some GI/Urinary tract issues (refer to first sentence), see my friend Matt at km 3 and I make a random weird face at him. It is reciprocated in spades.

I run by an aid station, thinking there may be one around km 5. I get to the turn around and the 4 km point feeling decent, and passing people like nobodies business. I must have passed at LEAST 300 people, and been passed ONCE by a 15 year old 200m out from the finish. FRICK!

So I get to km 6, and I'm not feeling as good anymore, starting to get a little sloppy. I'm not sure whether my technique was any good, but Matt was saying I was kicking my legs up rather high at the back, but it felt normal to me. I think I need to look into a little technique assessment. Regardless, I managed to speed it up come km 7, and managed to pass another 3 people.

Last 2 kms were uneventful, until the bloody 15 year old passed me! Oh well,mad props to him!
What would you do differently?:

-Not pass by the aid station and assume there would be another one
-Fix my running technique ?
Post race
Warm down:

-Grabbed a banana, jogged a little, grabbed a Gatorade G2 or whatever it is!
-Gabbed with Matt and then went to the car to grab bikes to bike around the marathon course!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-Run Technique maybe?
-Fitnesssssssss

Event comments:

Great race! The marathon looked A TON more organized then the 8km, but that's to be expected!

Last updated: 2008-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:52 | 08 kms | 03m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 8/45
Overall: 44/1893
Performance: Good
Course: Easy rolling hills on an out and back road along Dallas road! WAhoo!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-12 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Royal Victoria Marathon/Half/8K : 8 km Road Race

2008-10-13 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1737023

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: RE: Royal Victoria Marathon/Half/8K : 8 km Road Race

Oops!

Forgot to write that Gun time was 30:12 Frown

2008-10-13 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Ah, gun time, shmun time! It's all about the chip! Overall it seems like you had a pretty good race. Little things to work on, nothing big though! It's all about experience young grasshopper! The cross country will help you though.
2008-10-14 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Did you still have to go to the "facilities" after the race?!?!? Those little kids are brutal in a race, should have their own events. Pretty great results considering all the factors that played in to the race! Well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Royal Victoria Marathon/Half/8K : 8 km Road Race Rss Feed