United States
28F / -2C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing really out of the ordinary. Ate 3 hours before the race. Drove over to Spokane and picked up my race packet then hurried back to my car and got in and cranked the heater. It was COLD this morning! Found Tin LibertyLake before the marathon and wished him luck then wandered over to Starbucks to get some water and a small coffee.
Event warmup:

Stayed in my car until the last minute to stay as warm as possible. Thought about running in long tights but at the last minute went with just the shorts. Glad later that I did. Out of the car with 5 minutes to go until the start, wandered over and waited in the freezing cold for the gun to go off.
Run
  • 2h 03m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off nice and slow, as I was planning on using this as just a training and LSD day. First mile was about 9:15 so I picked it up a little bit. Started feeling some GI gurgling almost from the beginning which didn't make me happy at all. By mile 2 1/2, I was hurting pretty bad and had to pee too. So...found a good clump of trees and made a detour for a minute. Felt a little better afterward and picked up the pace a bit more. By mile 3 though, I was hurting bad. Got to mile 4 and had to find some more brush to hide behind as there were no port-a-potties on the course. Fortunately there were plenty of places to hide. Felt better and was doing great until about mile 7 then my stomach started bothering me again. Took care of that and then almost to mile 8 running downhill, my right calf muscle tore. Just all of a sudden it was hurting a lot. Had 5+ miles to go, including Doomsday Hill, and figured "well, might as well just keep running as long as it doesn't hurt too much." Had to get back to the finish anyway since I was parked there so just kept running. It hurt pretty good for awhile but then just settled down to nothing more than an irritant. Got up Doomsday without any problems then started running with a guy and we chatted about different races, Hood to Coast, etc, until about mile 12 then started pushing a little more for the last mile. Mile 13 was at 8:13 and didn't feel too bad so was happy with that.
After the first 2-3 miles, the sun was out and it started to warm up nicely. By the time I got to the top of Doomsday, the gloves were off and I was really glad I hadn't worn tights. Official time is what I put on here but I lost about 6 minutes to the various bathroom stops I had to make. Haven't run any longer than 8 miles since Ironman CDA and haven't been doing too much serious running really at all so to just cruise at this pace was ok. Enjoyed talking to lots of other runners and the beautiful, fall day.
What would you do differently?:

Not have GI issues.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I quit running my calf really started to bark at me so I hobbled around for a bit and got a drink of water. Waited to see TinLibertyLake finish the marathon. He had a really nice race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above.

Event comments:

They need more port-a-potties on the course. Other than that it's very well run.

Last updated: 2008-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:50 | 13.1 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Very hilly and challenging course. The first 5 miles are pretty tame but then the hills start and from 5 through 9 miles it's either up or down, nothing flat. From 9 miles on there are only a couple small hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-13 5:50 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: spokane marathon

2008-10-13 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1737845

User image

Master
Subject: RE: spokane marathon
Sounds like you had a tough day. Way to hang in there and finish strong!
2008-10-14 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Ugh, GI issues are NO fun at all!  Glad there were some bushes out there!  And your calf muscle TORE?  Ow!  Hope it's feeling better!

Way to push on through and enjoy the day despite the issues!

2008-10-14 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
It was good seeing you again.  Sorry to hear about the GI and calf problems. 
2008-10-14 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Not bad for little training an all the nasty problems with the gut.  Hope the calf heals up with no problems.

Not going to bother the skiing legs will it?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » spokane marathon Rss Feed