Keosauqua Chamber Of Commerce
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 36m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a cliff bar after I woke up and had some water. Drove to the course, which is in the middle of nowhere (seriously, the county doesn't have a single stoplight in it).
Event warmup:

Ran the first part of the course and got a look at the hill. Good lord, I thought it was hilly, not one big hill!!!
Run
  • 36m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I was told that this course had hills. I assumed that this meant that you ran a hill, it leveled out, you ran another hill, etc. Not so fast, my friend. It was a downhill run to the basin, then back up a long hill. First time up was about 150 foot climb over .8 miles, then a slight up hill to a turn around. Then back down the hill, with the second climb about 140 feet over .6 miles. Yeah - my legs were tired. The road was crowned pretty hard because it is windy, so it was a little tough on the knee that was facing the edge of the road, but it was not a lingering deal.
What would you do differently?:

Take the first downhill a little slower and churn harder up the first up-hill - I could have rested on the downhill coming back in and had more to give coming back up to the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Shared a banana with my daughter and had a couple of bottles of water. Headed into town and walked around the craft fair. Ordered a rock that they are going to carve a UGA "G" into and bring to my house. It's cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

4 week lay-oof probably had a little to do with it. I should have driven the course and planned a little better as well.

Event comments:

This is a nice little race and the scenery through the park is beautiful. It would be a great run or ride location for the fall for some alone time as it is through the woods on nicely paved roads and all of the leaves were changed and such. It is small (less than 60 runners), but everyone is friendly and such.

Last updated: 2008-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:14 | 03.11 miles | 11m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Mile one in 9:47 (way too fast, but it was almost all down hill). Mile two in 13:34 (all up hill, except for .1 mile). Mile three in 13:25 (half down hill, half up and tired legs).
Course: Course is out and back. Starts at the top of a hill at 750 ft elevation. Drops down to 610 ft and then heads up the other side to 750 again. Turn around and do it again. There are no flats along the hill. Straight down, straight up.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1 Lb
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-13 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: Lacey Keosauqua Fall 5K

2008-10-13 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1737940

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Lacey Keosauqua Fall 5K
You failed to mention you were 2 mins off of your PR in a hilly race.  That's a good job, especially considering the circumstances of your 4 weeks off from training.
2008-10-13 8:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-10-13 8:15 AM

Great job, JD
2008-10-26 6:07 PM

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good run John, I think these hills you talk about are actually bridges without water. Strange concept down here in the flatlands.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lacey Keosauqua Fall 5K Rss Feed