United States
27F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 12s
Overall Rank = 474/683
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Took a friend of mine since Junior High School out to sushi for her 40th birthday the day before. Awesome prerace dinner and even better company. Gary and I stayed at the Quality Inn in downtown Spokane, which is walking distance to the race start. Ate a waffle with PB and syrup, had a glass of tea and some water, put my cold weather running gear on for the first time this season, and walked down to the race start.
Event warmup:

Walked to race start, jogged a little and mostly just tried to stay warm.
Run
  • 2h 19m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The start was a little disorganized. No one seemed to know where we were supposed to be starting exactly so everyone just kind of hung around near the port a potty's until the group suddenly started moving down the road, so we just followed. We heard yelling and the pack began to move so we thought we started but then everyone stopped again. We heard yelling again and then the pack started moving again and didn't stop. I'm still not even sure where the starting line was, and since this was not chip timed don't know how long it might have taken to cross it after the start.

The first 5 miles, even though I could feel my plantar with every step, went really. I had a good pace going for reaching my goal of 2:10, and was feeling like I could sustain the pace throughout. Then right before mile 6 we started hitting alot of hills and my achilles were getting really tight and painful. I knew my pace was falling off and the next three miles were pretty rough with hills, plantar fascitis pain, achilles pain, and my left foot was completely numb from the ankle down. I kept thinking at least it could have been my right foot with the plantar fascitis that went numb so I wouldn't feel the pain instead of my "good" foot :) I was thinking I was going to have to walk for a bit to get the feeling back in my foot before I fell because of it, but I needed to pee too, so I thought I'd just wait for a port a potty and let that be my break. But then a couple minutes later before I had found a port a potty the feeling came back in my foot, my achilles relaxed, and I was suddenly feeling pretty good again. Ran up doomsday hill at mile 9 with no trouble and found a port a potty at the top with only one person in line, still took about 4 minutes to get in it though. I would have just waited, but I thought there was a real possibility I might wet myself and it was way too cold to be wet for the rest of the race :) At mile 10 I though "it's only a 5k from here", and pushed myself to pick up the pace. I passed alot of people in those last three miles, but alot of them had passed me while I was in the port a potty line, so I was really just playing catch up. It still felt really good though, and my friend, who hates the cold so I never dreamed would be there, was waiting just before the finish line to cheer me on and run in with me! So, I did a final sprint at the end and crossed the finish line. I would have liked to have done it a bit faster, but given the course and my recent injuries (excuses, excuses) I was pretty happy with it. This was my 3rd half marathon and I learn a little more with each one, and the miles seem to go by a bit quicker each time too :)

What would you do differently?:

More hill training. Not get injured. Get to the start early enough to use the port a potty BEFORE the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a bit, tried to find a medical tent to get some ice for my foot, but couldn't find any. Drank some water, and ate some animal cookies. Walked (limped) back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Planter fascitis, lack of hill training

Event comments:

The course is beautiful, the volunteers were awesome. The only reason I give it a 4 instead of a 5 is the lack of chip timing and a little bit disorganized

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:19:12 | 13.1 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/683
Performance: Average
average hr 161
Course: Loop course through downtown Spokane, out through Riverside state park, and ending in Riverfront park. Mostly on paved streets, a few sections of path, and one section of gravel road. Lots of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-13 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: spokane marathon

2008-10-13 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1739551

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: spokane marathon
Nope, injuries are not excuses. You did great even with those injuries. I am going to heed your "advice" and start some serious hill work. Great job. Did your friend get any photos?
2008-10-13 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job!!!!  I can only hope to do that well this weekend! 
2008-10-14 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Great job! Yes, a pretty hilly course.
2008-10-14 3:09 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Awesome job!  I can't believe you ran so well with such an aweful injury!  Congrats!
2008-10-14 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

wow sounds like a tough one with the hills and the injury.

Good Job finishing .  

Is it perhaps time to replace/change your  footwear to help with your feet ?

Just a thought  

2008-10-14 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Way to go, Roni! You are amazing. I can't imagine just running right through all the pain. Great job!
2008-10-15 2:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow!  You did it!  Injury & all.  Heal up now.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » spokane marathon Rss Feed