General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Total Time = 5h 24m 40s
Overall Rank = 287/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 69/305
Pre-race routine:

I can't remember if I drank anything but half a cup of coffee on the way to the race and a half bottle of water in Transition. I think this was my problem and unbelievably we had a full cooler in the car. Half way to the bus I remembered that I forgot water for my aero bottle as did Jenny. The bus line was so long that we decided to not go back to the car and just keep going and rely on the aid stations. What a mistake this was. I had one bottle of water in my bag and I drank half and put the other half in my aero bottle. Hydrating the morning of a HIM is very basic and somehow I messed it up. I've read about other people doing this and I never thought it would be me. I even heard the announcer reminding people to hydrate early and often and it never phased me. I would pay for this later in a big way and it ruined my day. I've hydrated more for a sprint! I write this in hopes someone reading can be saved from being so dumb!
Event warmup:

no warm up
Swim
  • 27m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim went pretty decent for me. My breathing was under control and I felt like this was a nice controlled effort. It was so congested that I stopped several times to find a lane - I need to sight better and just move around people without the stopping.

I also think I just need to get wide and trust my swim if I can't find anyone to draft off of (which is always). Before the first buoy I was running into previous waves and I think it cost me time trying to stay on the buoy line. I had no complaints coming out of the water and looking at my time until I realized it must have been a short course. Either way I was 12 minutes up on my previous HIM effort and on my way
What would you do differently?:

Get outside and away from the congestion and get out of my comfort zone and push the swim. I am capable but never seem to have that breakout effort at this distance. Or, just do what I do, keep it comfortable and conserve energy. 2 competing theories in my head...
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Standard T1 effort. I always say I'll go harder before the race and looking back wonder why I didn't but it was the best I had at the time. I normally have shoes clipped on my bike already and decided not to here since Transition was all dirt and I had a long run to the mount line. I think this was the right decision here since I had a chance to wipe my feet at my rack and put my shoes on. 56 miles is a long way to have dirt and rocks in the bike shoes

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 41m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off with my HR not as elevated as normal so I was feeling good about that. It was cool for the first hour or so and this helped. I felt like I had a good controlled effort for the firt 20 miles and was happy with my pace. After this, going into the wind I never found anyone to work with. I think it's a mistake for me to go it alone for too long as I lost focus. I need to try and hook on when someone passes to stay with it. I realized this around mi 40-45 and picked up the pace when we got the wind at our back again. I stood up on a downhill to stretch a bit and BAM!! quads in both legs seized up and I freaked out! I mmediately grabbed some salt tabs earlier than planned and upped it to 3 and started going harder on the water. I knew inside it was probably too late but I was hoping for a comeback. Approaching the quadzilla hill on the bike I really thought there was a possibility I may fall over if I went into total crampage in both legs. It didn't happen but I knew I was in trouble for the run...

Find someone to work with.

The cramping all started with morning hydration. In my firt HIM I suffered GI issues and I've figured that part out. Here, I simply didn't get a head start on the hydration the morning of the race. Looking back I realize I didn't even need to pee before the swim start and that never happens for any race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

I got to the dismount line, unclipped and nearly fell over when my feet hit the ground. I limped to my rack and stretched my quads for a little bit. If they didn't loosen up I thought about calling it a day. I never ever thought about a DNF before but I thought walking the run just to not have a DNF might not be worth it. Luckily they responded so I was able to gingerly hobble out onto the run course

get a massage and IV in T2!
Run
  • 2h 09m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I stopped 2 or 3 times the first mile trying to do some deep stretching and figure out if I could keep going. It got to the point where the slightest uphill (and there were plenty) would make me seize up and I had to walk. The rest of the time I shuffled along trying to get things going. I saw Murphy on my way to mile 3 and couldn't figure out how he was in front of me?? He told me to pick my head up and I cussed him out under my breath. I saw Jenny after the turnaround and knew she'd pass me in no time as I was a mess. Surprisingly, none of this bothered me too bad.

I realized my situation was not going to change and I decided to enjoy every aspect of this event so I did just that. I think the question of "could I make the run" gave me focus and a drive to make sure that I did do it. So in a way this kept me focused and on a mission the entire way and I never thought about what mile I was at or when this would be over. It seems like those are normally my dominant thoughts. I'm hoping I can use as a learning experience for when I am having a good run. This run took me longer than normal, it was hilly and I had massive cramps in my quads, feet and groin but I fought it and enjoyed it the whole way and was proud to finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Hit the finish line and my brain must have told my legs it was over b/c everything tightened up at this point and I squatted down to stretch my quads out. Jenny came over and looked pretty worried so we went to the med tent. My vitals were ok so I couldn't get the IV but the ice bags seemed to help. I laid on a cot next to Murphy and swapped cramping stories. Turns out we experienced pretty much the exact same thing which was really odd.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm convinced it was hydration the morning of the race and until I hear differently or experience this again when I feel like I am hydrated well I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Event comments:

Endorfun races are great and this being a 70.3 made it even better. I will be back year after year for some unfinished business

Last updated: 2008-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 77/305
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: wetsuit
Course: counterclockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:41:26 | 56 miles | 20.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/305
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop various country roads, rolling hills
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:09:37 | 13.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 112/305
Performance:
Course: 2 loops in park with rolling hills plus Quadzilla. Couple miles off road both loops
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-14 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2008-10-14 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1743071

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

That's still a great time considering in the cramping issues.  Sub 5:30 is a feat.  Hey, you also got a great mental workout continuing on in the face of major crampage.  Good job.  I hear you about the swim.  I always feel like I didn't swim hard enough. 

2008-10-15 10:21 AM

User image

scottsdale, Arizona
Good job out there all things considered.  I can't even imagine crossing an HIM finish line in 5:24.  It doesn't sound like you're going to make the hydration mistake again.  I need to remind myself to come back and read this before my HIM in NOLA. 
2008-10-15 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
All the cramping issues and I still barely beat you on the run. And, I loafed the swim/bike to feel good on the run which I did... I think the cool temps and clouds suckered you heat adjusted Texans into not hydrating enough. 2009 is the year of sub-5 for all of us (except for Jenny). She's obviously peaked and surely cannot get any faster. (yea right)
2008-10-15 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
2008-10-16 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1745153

User image

Champion
the colony texas
nice job,,  and a great run considering you started with some cramping issues

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed