United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 33m
Overall Rank = 265/378
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/24
Pre-race routine:

My first ever Olympic distance race. Unfortunately, I've been injured with IT Band issues, and this was also USAT Club National Championships, so I showed up with a couple hundred other LA Tri Club peeps. Woke up at 4:30am, showered, ate a protein bar, and dumped the contents of my all-you-can-eat sushi dinner the night before into the toilet. Drove the 30+ minutes out from Vegas to Boulder City and Lake Mead. Found my bike which had been transported by truck from LA, and set up my area. Kept hydrating and stretching. It was a little chilly and I found it tough to stay loose and my IT Band and muscles were already tight from the injuries the past few weeks.
Event warmup:

Swam a few hundred yards in the water before my starting wave went off.
Swim
  • 35m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took it easy on purpose, but I know I still could have done a better job with sighting. I got way off of some of the buoys at one point and probably had to swim an extra couple hundred yards throughout the whole swim.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, maybe push myself a little better. I really need to get in the pool and get someone to look at my stroke efficiency this off-season too.
Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

The timing chip was huge, and I *still* wasn't completely warmed up from the swim, so I was a little tight with my flexibility during transition. My suit got stuck around the timing chip, and then we also had to stuff our things inside a swim bag since it was a point-to-point race, making things even slower. Additionally, it was a long way through transition to the mount line.

Practice this transition more. Get triathlon shoes so I don't have to put on my shoes in transition.
Bike
  • 1h 48m 22s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 13.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I *still* wasn't completely warmed up until part-way through on the bike. And I think I had this mental block about my IT Band blowing up on the run, and I could feel the tightness in both of my legs on the bike, so I didn't push it as hard as I know I could have, especially on some of the hills. I stayed in the saddle for most of the hills instead of pushing myself like I know I could have...

If I had been in better shape and training, I would have really pushed myself on the bike a lot harder. But I was managing injury. :(
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

T2 was tough to do the flying dismount just because we finished climbing the hill and then all of a sudden, we were in transition, so I didn't really have time to get my feet out beforehand. So I did a traditional dismount and ran with my bike shoes to my run bag. Grabbed a gel out of my bento box, took a sip of water from my bike, put on my run shoes, and hobbled out of the transition area to the run.

Ride the course beforehand and practice the flying dismount into T2.
Run
  • 1h 01m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs barely held up for the run. I had to walk through a couple of aid stations - my longest walk was at the Olympic course turnaround at 3.1 miles where there was an aid station. I forced myself to run through my ever-tightening IT Band the whole last 5K. The only thing that really kept me going were all the other LA Tri people cheering me on and yelling at me.

Not train for a marathon and injure myself before this triathlon. :)
Post race
Warm down:

I got a crappy (but free) massage for my IT Band where the girl didn't push hard enough. But it was okay. Drank LOTS of fluids. I was pretty dehydrated by the end of the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury. It kept me tentative on the bike, and it really slowed down my run. I was surprised I was able to break 10:00 min/mi on the run. I was hobbling the whole way, and I can barely walk today (the day after). See pictures for my awesome sub-10:00 min/mi hobble... :)

Event comments:

I like the hilly bike course, but the run was pretty boring. The lake swim was nice.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:46 | 1640 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/378
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca
Course: It was a box in Lake Mead. We swam the same course as the Sprint and Halfmax distances, but just made a smaller box around some buoys. Lots of glare and sunlight on the water.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:48:22 | 24.85 miles | 13.76 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly. Very hilly. Lots of rolling hills in and out. The final couple of miles into the town and T2 was all uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:42 | 06.21 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Boring out and back run through this neighborhood in Boulder City. It was total suburbia.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-19 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Sherman Oaks
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon

2008-10-19 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1753030

User image

Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon

Good job out there managing your injuries.  I agree the run was pretty sucky.

2008-10-20 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great job on the finish even if wasn't the best day for you.  Thanks for showing up for the club too - did we win it?

2008-10-21 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job out there - it is a really tough race (hardest Oly distance I have done).  After that bike ride, it is very difficult to have much left in your legs for the run.
2008-10-21 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Nice job on the tough course .

Its always nice to get cheered when you need it the most . 

2008-10-24 12:47 AM
in reply to: #1754052

User image

Regular
Sherman Oaks
DoloresM2 - 2008-10-20 9:29 AM

Great job on the finish even if wasn't the best day for you.  Thanks for showing up for the club too - did we win it?

http://usatriathlon.org/news/article/7255

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon Rss Feed