General Discussion Race Reports! » Portfolio Partners Around the Bay in a Day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Portfolio Partners Around the Bay in a Day - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
Great Rides
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The boy and I had stayed at McCrae the night beforehand. His parents had kindly offered us to drive to the start line. We ate our breakfast and I came to the realisation that my boy inherited his lack of early morning love from his parents!
Event warmup:

We rode through the main street of Sorrento to the start line which was by the beach. There were 1000s of cyclists.
Bike
  • 3h 30m
  • 100 kms
  • 28.57 km/hr
Comments:

Admittedly we were a little late to the start line so we missed getting into the 25-29km/hr bunch. The first 10-15kms involved passing some pretty slow people. And people who failed to keep left or indicate their movements!

The first and only real test is the Morington Penninsula Freeway hill that I rode several times during IM training that killed me the first time and left an everlasting bad memory. The boy sped up because he has no weight to carry him up the hill, I didn't push it because of my knee and wasn't passed by many people at all. With that done it was going to be an easy ride home!

The course undulates from here to Frankston and it was a pretty nice ride as we were close to the front of the pack we were riding with.

A stop was required at the bottom of Olivers Hill for the bathroom. Then it was an easy ride to Mordi for lunch.

While the food was good, it didn't agree with my stomach and I hadn't drunk enough during the day. So the last hour was a bit painful, I had a headache, a stomach ache and little patience to deal with all the red lights we got during the ride from the beach to the city.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more. There was an option to get lunch at the end, it would certainly have been my preference, however the boy does better with a break so we went for that option. I probably would have done better to just stick with my own nutrition and respect the distance more in terms of hydration requirements.
Post race
Warm down:

We crossed the finish line, and I took a quick moment to stretch my back out or at least move it around. I think all the stuff I was carrying didn't help my back.

Once we'd finished the boy commented that we should have done the 210 because that wasn't a challenge. He was disappointed because the tailwind made it pretty easy. He retracted his statement towards the end of the day as he started to tire in the afternoon!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The number of people and in the end my dehydration.

Event comments:

A lot of people (19,000) do this ride and the roads aren't closed, meaning cyclists have to contend with cars. Due to the sheer number of people it's sometimes difficult not to be riding at more than 4 abreast. Completely illegal I'm aware, but unavoidable at times, considering slower riders sometimes failed to keep left.

I think some marshaling along the course or perhaps a bigger police presence may have assisted. There's been a lot of whinging from motorists about cyclists not obeying the road rules yesterday (though I didn't see anyone run a red light).

Apart from that it's an impressive event. Getting our lunch was too easy, people were friendly and up for a chat, there looked to be quite a bit going on at the finish line. Will probably have a second crack at the 210km next year.

Last updated: 2008-10-14 12:00 AM
Biking
03:30:00 | 100 kms | 28.57 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR Avg 155
Wind: Tailwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-19 10:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Portfolio Partners Around the Bay in a Day

2008-10-21 4:46 AM
in reply to: #1753314

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Portfolio Partners Around the Bay in a Day
Wow, wounds like a fun ride! 19,000 people over 100k and the roads aren't closed? WOW sounds hairy!!! Well done
2008-10-21 5:46 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Nice ride Casie - this ride has always sounded nuts with the people involved but I never realised they didnt close the roads either!
2008-10-27 12:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Ohh sorry I missed this Casie,  I'm blaming Ironman brain.

looks like it was a good ride!  well done to the boy too!  I did not realise they don't close the roads wow! 

I know the Great Bike ride here isn't anywhere near as big,  it goes round the river 56k's  and then a double lap too.   but they close the roads for that including 1 lane of the freeway right up till lunch time.   

there are way too many first time riders and gumbies out on the bike,  I couldn't imagine mixing them with traffic too.  scary!

glad you survived it!  good work

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Portfolio Partners Around the Bay in a Day Rss Feed