2008-11-07 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1795867

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Weights-if you had to pick
protoplasm72 - 2008-11-07 3:17 PM
Daremo - 2008-11-07 12:10 PM

Think of it this way. What is going to be more beneficial? Working your legs for 20 - 30 repetitions of differing weights over a period of a 1/2 hour, or working those same muscles 2700 repetitions over a half hour of cycling (90 rpms x 30 minutes) supporting body weight??

I agree.  My point is that weight training might allow you to put in that extra half hour or extra interval session without getting injured.  In my own training I've seen enough correlation to know I won't be running above 50mpw without a consistent strength training program again. 

You won't likely build up a resistance to running overuse injuries by sitting in a weight room.  You will build up those resistance by following an intelligent running progression.  For example, what you need is to first run 45mpw for some time.  And 40mpw for some time before that, etc... 

2008-11-07 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1793659

Champion
No excuses!
If I want to make it to Kona someday, how much does my max bench press need to be? Undecided
2008-11-07 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Because there has been much poo-pooing of weight-lifting as an injury prevention measure and because the OP is a female, I feel I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that weight-bearing exercise is considered an important part of an osteoporosis prevention program.  While running (or jogging) is considered a weight-bearing exercise, cycling and swimming are not.  Female athletes, especially older females or those who aren't able to run, may want to consider adding some sort of weight lifing routine to their program.

2008-11-07 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs

Daremo- The scapular row one of numerous exercises that strengthen the scapular region and rotator cuff.  It happens to be my favorite.  While I can not "prove" that strengthening will help prevent injuries, I can provide consensus and expert opinion.  www.emedicine.com/sports/topic125.HTM  "a structured rotator cuff strengthening program during the off season and a gradual increase in training at the beginning of the season can help prevent occurance of swimmers shoulder."       www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlefinder.fcgi?artid=1088340      www.beginnertriathlete.com.cmj/article-detail.asp?articleid=1293.                    As a physician, I do regularly recommend such exercises for athletes with repetitive use of the shoulder.

Edited by bmass 2008-11-07 6:38 PM
2008-11-07 6:45 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
I'm a huge fan of crossfit. See crossfit.com. It's functional movement. I agree with Daremo and them that there would be different training programs that are tri-specific. But if you want to have better overall fitness then you can't go wrong with crossfit. Download their complimentary crossfit journal on the main page to understand their philosophy.

But, having said that, Q started crossfit a year or so ago and smashed his IM times. He had a 12+ and then went to 11:30. Then last week he went down to 10:37 (I think).
2008-11-07 7:26 PM
in reply to: #1796427

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
bmass - 2008-11-07 7:37 PM

Daremo- The scapular row one of numerous exercises that strengthen the scapular region and rotator cuff.  It happens to be my favorite.  While I can not "prove" that strengthening will help prevent injuries, I can provide consensus and expert opinion.  www.emedicine.com/sports/topic125.HTM  "a structured rotator cuff strengthening program during the off season and a gradual increase in training at the beginning of the season can help prevent occurrence of swimmers shoulder."       www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlefinder.fcgi?artid=1088340      www.beginnertriathlete.com.cmj/article-detail.asp?articleid=1293.                    As a physician, I do regularly recommend such exercises for athletes with repetitive use of the shoulder.

And I can understand and appreciate that.  But as a physician I would hope that you can agree that you cannot prove something can prevent something else that has not happened yet.  By wearing a helmet on my bike I am not preventing an accident.  Perhaps I am giving myself a better chance of avoiding serious head trauma, but I could still just as easily get hit and end up in a wheelchair paralyzed.  Unless there is a way to specifically pinpoint what CAUSED an injury, then there is not really a way to prove some specific activity that would have not allowed it to happen.

I correlate it to all those "studies" that said moderate doses of "X" helps prevent -blank- disease and then 2 years later they come out with something else that says "X" can cause problems with -blank-.

As I mentioned, if there is some sort of muscular imbalance or current injury that you are recovering from that then messes up your form in one of the disciplines, then it is not a bad idea at all.

I am also just rehashing what many other much more qualified people then myself have stated through the years.  And while I do not have all the links and studies that those professionals reference, they are out there in the same sorts of publications that you provided.  And often really reading through the studies they proffer a much different analysis of the findings.

It is also a topic which has been beat to death and leads to a lot of ill will and bad mojo toward others.  There are a lot of very opinionated views on it.  So I'll leave it at that and not get into any sort of pizzing match with anyone.

Edited by Daremo 2008-11-07 7:27 PM

2008-11-08 12:12 AM
in reply to: #1796416

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I have stayed away from this thread. First, I must thank Jorge for recommending me as a knowledgeable weight trainer. I really appreciate that.

Second....

esc - 2008-11-07 6:27 PM

Because there has been much poo-pooing of weight-lifting as an injury prevention measure and because the OP is a female, I feel I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that weight-bearing exercise is considered an important part of an osteoporosis prevention program.  While running (or jogging) is considered a weight-bearing exercise, cycling and swimming are not.  Female athletes, especially older females or those who aren't able to run, may want to consider adding some sort of weight lifing routine to their program.

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner. For several years I have tried to convince my mother to weight train. She resisted, citing the common myths of "I don't want to get too big" and all that. Now, at the age of 72, she has signed up for lifting after being informed that she has lost some bone density. She's not to the point of osteoporosis, which is good, so she can probably reverse some of the loss.

BTW, osteoporosis affects men, too.

Of course, I realize that preventing loss of bone density has nothing to do with tri performance (unless you're thinking really long-term and hope to continue doing tris into your 60s and 70s, in which case increasing bone density may keep you from breaking a hip if you fall off of a bike). It's simply a benefit that will improve your overall health.

As for the injury prevention thing, weight training does help strengthen connective tissue (tendons, ligaments). This has lead to a theory that this can help prevent injuries or reduce the severity of injuries given that the tendons and ligaments become stronger. But as many have said, there have been no studies to back this up, and I don't think there ever will be any studies because of the ethical issues involved. Also, tendons and ligaments gain strength much more slowly than muscles, so it may be some time before you see any benefit.

Edited by MikeTheBear 2008-11-08 12:20 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weights-if you had to pick Rss Feed  

of 2