Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Drunk Driving Videos as Training Aids Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-17 10:47 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Drunk Driving Videos as Training Aids Help!

BT Cops/Safety people, etc...I am putting together a Holiday Safety Day for my unit in December...we've had a few instances of DWIs, etc. and the post I'm on always has something like that happening (big post) and myself and some of the other unit leaders would like to put together a "shock" the young Soldiers safety presentation...specifically showing the effects and horrors of drunk driving.  We have found that when Soldiers watch realistic video (with real footage) etc., that they typically remember it more and apply it more.  A powerpoint "don't do this cause it's bad and you'll hurt yourself" doesn't have the same impact and just puts them to sleep.  So, I'm searching for some good resources. I am an MP, so we have a few to pull from here, but not tons, so I'm reaching out.  My primary audience will be young adults, 18-25 years of age (some are older, but that captures my target), primarily male.  Does anyone have any good suggestions, links, etc. where I can get some good training aids so I can hit home with this serious subject? 
Thanks!

2008-11-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1812342

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Drunk Driving Videos as Training Aids Help!

I'd go to youtube.com or Google Videos. 

You can download file converters for youtube videos and imbed them into PowerPoint pretty easily.  Download.com has the file converts (free). 

There's always MADD.   Or SADD.

Good Luck!

2008-11-17 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

When I was an RA in college, I did a program called "The Consequences of Drinking and Driving"  where I had a person come in and tell his story of what he did while under the influence.  He was one of those guys that can drive home blindfolded, or a little buzzed, after all, he's done it before, so its ok.  Well it wasn't.  Just as he was pulling onto his street, he swerved, for no reason and hit his friends car head on, killing him.  He served time for vehicleular manslaughter and then had to tell his story as part of his probation.  He contiuned telling his story after he was no longer forced to because he knew he helped people realize the consequence of his actions.  And he felt it was the least he could do to help keep his friends memory alive and try to give his death some meaning.   Powerful stuff.  FWIW, I won an award for 'Program of the Year' for this.

Check w/ your local AA or NA group and see if anyone will talk about there experience.  If they dont have anyone, Im sure they know someone.  In terms of videos and such, check your local drivers ed business, mine had a lot of videos about drunk driving and also w/ your local High School, especially if they have a 'Key Club'.  Key Club is the High School part of Kiwanis and they have a lot of anti drinking info and media help.  The Key Club that we sponsor does a lot w/ drinking and driving awareness and are invited to a national convention about drinking and driving.

2008-11-17 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I used to be on the local MADD's Victim Impact Panel. We would go to drunk driving classes and such and have a panel of 3-4 folks who told their story of how drunk driving had negatively impacted our lives. (my dad died in a drunk driving crash)

The most effective speaker was a young man, early 20's, who was wheeled in by his aid. He talked about how a high school buddy drinking in the park incident had led to his condition. He told how his buddies died and he barely survived the accident, and how long he had to lay there waiting for help. He was really hard to understand due to his brain damage, but spoke slowly and clearly and got his point across, especially when he talked about his love for music, and held up his gnarled and useless hands and said 'my brain remembers how to play guitar, but my hands will never do it'...

Attendees often came up to us afterwards and told us how we had helped them see drinking and driving as more than a personal decision and that they would make positive changes.

So...all this to say that maybe if you contact your local MADD chapter, they may have a VIP available to you.

And I REALLY REALLY love that you are doing this Britt....when my bro was in the Navy they came close to encouraging them to get trashed on leave, moving bunks around and giving everyone a trash can to throw up in.

THANK YOU!!!!
2008-11-18 5:12 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
 Contact Texas DPS and tell them what you are trying to do. There was film we had to watch in driver's ed class in my high school. I'm pretty sure DPS made the film and I still remember it to this day. I'm pretty certain they couldn't get away with showing such a graphic film to kids these days, but it was pretty effective IMO. They would probably even send a trooper out to give a presentation to your unit if you asked.
2008-11-18 5:43 PM

User image

Giver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z24v0awoQhc

Pardon the pun, but this is pretty sobering stuff.

2008-11-19 1:47 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
I think this would take far more coordination than what you are looking for, but we had a demo at school where there was an "accident" in front of our school. They placed a car so it looked like someone wrapped a car around a tree (I think they got smashed up cars from the junkyard to use, since they cut it open during the demo). Then, they went through the whole extrication process. During it, the EMTs would call out info, like, "This one's been drinking, no pain meds!" as they pulled someone out who was in severe pain (they had kids from the school involved as actors). They even med-flighted one girl out. To this day, the stat I remember most clearly is that if you've gone through the windshield and skidded face first along glass-strewn gravel, they will use a wire brush to clean out your wounds with NO ANESTHESIA. Trust me, that little fact pierces through ANY drink-induced haze.

To scale that down, perhaps you could have the EMTs or ER docs/nurses come in and give stats like that - it makes it a heck of a lot more personal than, "You might kill someone," which they've heard a thousand times.
2008-11-19 5:33 AM

User image

Expert
Trinity, Florida
I have a bunch of videos on my harddrive at the house. I also presented one of those borning PowerPoint presentations for the active duty at the NOSC (reserve center). I can send you some of the videos if you still need them. I have been doing DUI enforcement for the past 7 years so I seem to collect them.
2008-11-19 9:18 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Thanks for all of your ideas, links, and help...that's what I was needing.  I may PM a couple of you about the things you have offered.  I have put a call into MADD as well and will follow up with them this afternoon! Thank you much! 
2008-11-19 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

Not that this is a suggestion for you, as my suggestion wouldn't be as effective as the above posts, but interesting tidbit.

As my undergrad, University of Iowa, they have one of the premier driving simulators in the country.  Every once in a while they would do "experiments" for the influence of drinking, so student volunteers would take tests while slowly getting drunk.

Any information they might have would be more technical in nature and not as impactive as you might like, but could also suggest looking at the University of Iowa driving simulator as a resource.  (but that is more likely to put them to sleep)

2008-11-19 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
http://www.liveleak.com/browse?q=drunk+driving

It's not filtered like youtube is, and consequently, a lot more powerful.

The link has the simple query 'drunk driving' in it. Edit the search query and you will find a lot more than the link I posted.

If you look for raw video, you will come across unedited news footage. That usually has the most impact.

2008-11-19 9:34 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

A local high school put together this film http://web.mac.com/vbayer1/Reality/Movie_Trailer.html (see trailer). It's pretty realistic about what a night of drinking can do to everyone involved. It's available for purchase I believe.

On another note, locally, a man and 2 women were mowed down while biking across a town's bridge. The driver was a drunk woman. It was 2 in the afternoon on a Sunday. The man did not survive.

..... It's just not worth taking that extra drink.

2008-11-19 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I can't really recommend a film or link, but I have a great story that I love to tell from my years in Law Enforcement ...

Middle of the night, nothing happening, bored out of my tree, along comes a traffic stop on the highway through the city ... big truck pulling a big trailer, weaving all over the 4 lanes of traffic ... surprise surprise the driver is hammered - he's arrested with a driving probation ... but the bugger is - his trailer is housing 12 thoroughbred rodeo horses, he was on his way home from some big event/convention and had a few too many before heading out.

So ... what do you do with a big horse trailer full of horses when the operator is too drunk to drive? ... tow companies won't take it to impound ... designated driver companies won't drive it home for you ... in the end it took about 3 hours of phone calls to find some farmer that some cop's family-friend knew a guy that knew a guy that knew someone who would house these 12 horses overnight. NIGHTMARE! ... and the entire while - 12 terrified horses trapped in a trailer on the side of a major highway.

Drunk driving ... it's not just you - it's everyone else, too.
2008-11-20 1:25 AM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

Don't know if you're still looking for info on this presentation but I may have a suggestion or two.  I'm a PA student in Oregon and my Master's project just happens to be exactly what you are doing.  I will be presenting to a group of 14-18 year olds on this same topic.  One of the stories that I will be relaying is of an acquaintance of mine name Jacqui Saburido.  She came to Austin, TX from Venezuela in the late 90's to learn English.  One night in September 1999 her and four friends were on their way home from a b-day party.  They were hit by an 18 year old high school student who was on his way home from drinking with some friends.  Two passengers in Jacqui's car were killed, one had fairly minor injuries, and then there was Jacqui.  She was pinned in the car while it burned.  She survived and often talks about her ordeal.  On her website http://www.helpjacqui.com/home.htm there are videos posted of both her and the guy who hit her.  It's pretty powerful. 

I can't get any of her photos to link here, but go to her site.  I don't know how anyone could drink and drive after hearing her story.

Edited by rsqdvr 2008-11-20 1:26 AM
2008-11-20 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great information on a important topic everyone! Thank you! I have a lot ot use for various safety briefings throughout the time I'm in command! I appreciate your assistance.  Hopefully others here will share it in their places of work, school, etc. too.  Drinking and driving is good for NO ONE!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Drunk Driving Videos as Training Aids Help! Rss Feed