Chamber of Commerce of Highlands Ranch
31F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 20m 16s
Overall Rank = 41/975
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 7/82
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 am, had Uncle Sam's Cereal with 2% milk and Strawberries, as usual. Had a nice warm morning shower and slapped on my running gear ASAP to trap in the body heat. Watched the weather on the news while I sipped on a cup of joe. It was 28 degrees out! No snow though like the forecast had said the night before... Woo-Hoo! Then I drove off to Highlands Ranch for the race!

I got to Highlands Ranch around 7:30 am. I was pre registered so check in went pretty easy. The music was fun... ALL 80'S! LOL! Fun stuff too! My wife and sister would have been jammin' out to Madonna, The Bangles, and The Go-Go's too!

People were just getting there and I was trying to size up the competition while people watching. People in Highlands Ranch are usually pretty fit and it looked like I was going to have my work cut out for me if I wanted to place in the top 3 for age group. Oh well... I can only do my best and hope that it's enough!
Event warmup:

I stretched in the bathroom since there was a lot of space and it was heated too! Then I jogged for 10 minutes after walking around for 30 minutes. Then I said my usual pre-race prayer to God and my Dad to help me do my best and watch over me to keep me injury free during the race.
Run
  • 20m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Tons of rolling hills... I had forgotton just how hilly Highlands Ranch is! It's not flat at all, I'll tell you that much!

Mile one starts off pretty down hill and sucked a lot of the runners in way too fast. I could tell once we all hit the first hill 3/4ths into the run that everyone went out too fast when I started to pass them all... "See ya later, Suckas! LOL!"

Mile 2 was an awesome up hill climb... I do love me some hills during a race, cause that's when I pass. I always bitch about it later, but really I like hills a lot cause I never loose my pace on them, when everybody else seems to let up. Then there was a trail part to the course after you cut through the neighborhood with a big down hill! ZZZOOOOOMMMM!!! We all flew down it! Then what goes down... hahaha... must come up! :)

Mile 3 was another hill up on the trail, and again, I passed more. It was nice to pass the cocky cross country kids that wouldn't talk to me at the starting line. Later kids!

Now, I focused on the pack of guys ahead of me that were in my age group. There seemed to be about five of them or so. One in particlular had a traithlete build and pace so I set my sights on him. He was dressed in all black and had a strong pace, similar to mine. All I kept saying to myself was, "Stay with the man in black." He picked up the pace 1/2 way through mile 3 and pulled away about 50 yards but I wanted to reserve my self for the finish... I shouldn't have and just pushed harder.

The mile 3 marker was coming up and I looked at my stop watch - 18:53! I should have a sub 20 5K. Then as I got toward the finish line and gave a little kick the clock was reading 20:11??!! I asked one of the volenteers about the course length and they said it migh have been long by about .2 miles. So I probally did run a sub 20 5K but I was happy with my new PR of 20:16 5K anyway! :)

A fun way to start off Thanksgiving!
What would you do differently?:

Pushed a bit more on mile 2 and gave it a bit more of a kick at the end. I felt like I held back a little for some reason. I wasn't nearly as pooped at the end of the race as I normally would be. That's when I knew I should have pushed harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Small 800 yard jog and then I walked the post race party loop a couple times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My layers were kinda heavy and I held back a little too much. I should have pushed harder durning mile 2 and 3 as well as at the finish...

Event comments:

Fun crowd. Well organized! Good time over all!

Last updated: 2008-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:16 | 03.11 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/82
Overall: 41/975
Performance: Good
Course: Tons of rolling hills...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-28 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Denver Colorado
Subject: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K

2008-11-28 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1829505

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K
nice job Sean!  Way to attack those hills!  There were some fast people out there yesterday...you're one of them.  Sounds like you had a fun race!
2008-11-29 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1829505

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Nice race!
2008-11-29 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1830274

User image

Regular
Denver Colorado
Thanks man! Hope to see ya around sometime!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K Rss Feed