coffee, banana and bagel with PB
Event warmup:

About 2 1/2 - 3 miles @ about 70% HR
Run
  • 21m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really hoping to run under 7-minute miles for this race! Came close but just wasn't happening. I had a good warm-up but I think I was just a bit too conservative on the first mile as it was my slowest of the race...7:23. When i hit mile 1 and looked at my watch I couldn't believe it! I was sure I would be under 7. I hesitated for a moment and backed off thinking I wasn't going to go sub 7s today. Then some dude passed me with a little bump...kinda woke me up and I followed him for about a 1/2 mile then passed him...didn't see him again. The other 2-miles were sub 7. My HR was also low that first mile so I think I should have pushed harder but i was also concerned about going out too fast. With a 5K it's hard to make up seconds...I should have just went for it! This is the first 5k I have done since this same race last year...it takes a different mindset for a 5k and just don't think I had it today. Overall though it's a fun race and I am happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Go out harder!
Post race
Warm down:

Had a couple beers and talked with a few people but didn't hang out very long.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some hesitation on the first mile.

Last updated: 2008-11-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:49 | 03.11 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/115
Overall: 84/975
Performance: Good
Course: through neighborhood in Highlands Ranch. A few hills but nothing to long or difficult.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-28 12:34 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K

2008-11-29 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1829557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K
Nice effort and way to push through the last two miles; almost made your goal even with the slower first mile so those were some fast last two.  You just have to go for it in 5ks.  First mile can be a little fast and then adjust from there.  As long as you don't blow up in the first mile, you're usually ok since it's so short.  Plus, the HR course is deceptively challenging.  A lot of incline in the first 1.5 miles.  Then the downhill but more ascent toward the end.  Wind usually sucks too.  I've never been close to a PR on this course.
2008-11-29 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1829557

User image

Regular
Denver Colorado
Subject: RE: Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K
Hey man! Great job! This course is a tricky one and you should be really proud of yourself! You made up a lot of ground on mile 2 and 3 too! Hope to see you around sometime!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K Rss Feed