General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first half IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-07 9:25 PM

Regular
Subject: first half IM
I amcurrently fit enough to do a Olympic Tri but are shit scared to do a Half IM why if i dont get through it's a waste of money and the fear of falure does any body have the same fears or had the same fears and over come them?

2005-03-07 9:58 PM
in reply to: #126628

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: first half IM
I was trying to think back and figure out what to write...I have to use marathons as an example because I have done more of those...but the principle is the same. Before I had done so many marathons, I had similar fears. I worried about what my family would say if I didn't finish. I worried that something bad might happen to me and I would have a lousy time. I worried that it might rain. On and on and on. And it took a few races to realize that none of that really matters. The more I raced the more I learned that stuff CAN go wrong (and will!) and everything can still turn out fine. The day I set my PR absolutely everthing was going wrong all the way up to the gun start. And then I set a PR. You will be afraid of the unknown until you do it. So my advice would be to train for one and just do it. It might go well. It might not. But you will gain experience and that is priceless! Ever read post-race interviews with pro and elite athletes who post a DNF? They are always disappointed but they can always point to what they did wrong and say they will be better prepared to guard against it in the future. The only way to combat fear of what MIGHT happen is to prepare yourself as well as you can and then just DO IT.

It's all about enjoying what you do. If you think you are so worried that you are going to HATE EVERY MINUTE...then don't. But if you will enjoy the experience no matter what happens, then go for it!

I personally do not feel that if I 'don't get through' I have wasted my money. My last two marathons have been complete disasters due to knee injury. I never walk in a marathon and during the last one I did my knee gave out at mile 23. I walked 3.2 miles to finish. Did I wish I hadn't done it? Did I think it was a waste? NO! Nothing like that is EVER a waste. Half the people that might call you a failure couldn't do 90% of what you do on a daily basis. They aren't worth listening to.

Did I ramble?
2005-03-07 11:39 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I did my first 1/2 last year.

It cost a good amount of $ and I was scared going into it. I didn't tell too many people about it out of DNF fear etc. Well, I went, I finished. Way longer than planned, my training was not what I had hoped for. I walked the last 5 miles as my legs gave out. But now that I am on this side of the fence I can only say, "Train for it and Do it."

This site keeps me motivated everyday I log my training. I read the posts from the newbies and get inspired all over again. I think of my family and the role model I want to me. I think of my dad who finished Kona in 81 AND 82 and know I can even do a full IM someday. I think of Lance and what he overcame on his bike .... the fears fade.

If you have completed some Olys then your already more accomplished than most. Do the half, cause no matter your time when you cross the finish, you will love it. Get on a training plan. Approach it one day at a time and before you know it you'll be ready. My friends were amazed but funny thing, I was amazed even more.
2005-03-08 1:42 AM

User image

Regular
Colorado
I would rather try and fail than wonder if I could have made it. There is more glory in a DNF than not even leaving the starting gate! I ran my first 5K race in 1986 that was part of the Portland Marathon and told myself that I was going to run the marathon the next year. I made it, not in the 5 hours allowed. It took 5 1/2, but I felt wonderful!. I have not done a tri yet and am starting out with a 1/2 IM. I know what time I would like to finish and am sure that I will at least cross the finish line, but the efforts and discipline to get there is the best part for me.

Live for the journey, not the destination.....
2005-03-08 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Though I never did a 1/2 IM (my goal for next summer....), I would say that you are ready to go for an 1/2 IM once you feel comfortable with an oly in all types of conditions. If you feel it, GO for a half IM. As an IM guy said to me last october in Kona, "You'll be ready to go for a IM once you are comfortable with a 1/2 IM"... I would suggest that you just increase you training volumes to be ready for longer distances. Set your goal to "finishing" and I am sure you can do it ! It's worth the try anyway !!!

Christian.
2005-03-08 8:55 AM
in reply to: #126717

Go for it! Having said that, be smart. Research training plans, nutrition, and in every way be as prepared as you can be. I have a dream to do a 1/2 IM one day. People like you who strive for that goal inspire me, because it takes guts to even try! Be as prepared as you can be and check your ego at the door (in other words, just finish the first one--it is one heck of an accomplishment!!). I also mean don't force yourself to do it immediately. Increase your volume in a way that doesn't get you injured. Stay healthy. Who cares if it takes you some extra time (or a season or two) to accomplish the goal...you will have done it!

2005-03-08 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Take a look at the 1/2IM here at BT. The buildup of distance is gradual and while you can get by with a bit fewer hours per week 'just to finish' the long run and ride buildups are a good measuring stick of whether it's safe to signup.

Most of the program's progress is due to the consistency and not solely the long stuff, so keep an eye on nutrition and rest--these will greatly help you to get up the next day and train again.

Good luck,
Scott

2005-03-08 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Dacula, GA
DO IT!!

I've done several sprints and trained for the Disney Oly last year but it was cancelled due to the hurricane. Nonetheless, I've upped the ante this year and will do my 1st 1/2IM in July!

Maybe this is the reason I've never gotten good at these, but I love the challenge!!! It's why I signed up for my first 5k, then 10k, then jumped to the sprint tris, then right to the 1/2 marathon (without ever getting any better at the previous distances). Hell, I couldn't swim 100 yards without a break 3 months before the first sprint.

I love this stuff and there is nothing like crossing the finish line of that next level event (even if you feel like your about to die - this too shall pass)!!!! You are more than ready - just follow a plan.

DO IT!!

JG
2005-03-08 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa

The best advice I can give you I have stolen from no lesser authorities than Joel Friel and Gordo Byrn. From their book, Going Long: "How do you know when you're ready to go long? You don't. All you can do is commit, train and pray."

I say pay no attention to your fear of failuire. If you're not afraid of failing, it's not worth doing.. Go get it and good luck. 

Edited by triman50 2005-03-08 3:40 PM
2005-03-08 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
as a wise BTer once said

"DFL is better than DNF is better than DNS"

Go for it!
2005-03-08 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I am currently using Sherrick's plan to do my first 1/2 IM in September. Before this I could barely finish sprints (well I did finish them but not spectacularly) and I haven't even done my first Oly. But following Sherrick's plan has allowed me to push myself beyond limits I didn't even know I could reach. I signed up to do the 1/2 IM because I know that if I train, prepare and believe I will finish under the cut off. Am I scared? Hell yeah, you'd be worried if I wasn't. Am I afraid? Hell no. There's a difference. I'm not afraid to try. I'm not stupid though, I'm TRAINING for my 1/2 IM. And if I can't keep up with the plan then I know I won't be able to do the race. So far so good.

Thanks Sherrick! So go for it dude! Provided that you train and following a good plan.

Good luck! Ovetta.

2005-03-08 4:19 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

I did my first HAlf IM at the end of my first season. I was about 50/50 that I would even finish. My time was a pathetic 8:45, but a glorious 15 minutes before the cut off. More so because I faced quiting several times and didn't. I even won the Clydesdale division as all other clydesdales quit or didn't finish in time.  I will have that accomplishment for the rest of my life. 

At the end of this season I am going (I think) to do the full IM (right now at 245, hopefully at 230 by race time) and I am about 20/80 right now about being able to finish.  For me the fun part is attempting something I might not... should not... be able to do - that is where my big pay off is.   For you, it might be carefully training and plotting your progress towards your goal and completing it comfortably with a respectable time. 

I say do it.  The only way you can fail is if you don't show up at waters edge in the morning.  Everything else is just gravey.  My personal opinion: If your little thoughts are peeking around the curtains of your mind at the possibility of doing the race, you should appease them, open the window and let them get a good romp in.  Nothing worse than regretfull thoughts clanking about your noggin and clogging up the gears of your self respect. Fill up your tank with life's WAHOO and burn rubber baby.... 

2005-03-24 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California
Subject: first half IM
I just completed my 2nd triathlon (I did a Sprint last September). The Ralph's Half Ironman last Saturday was a blast. Not to toot my horn, but I had a goal of 5:45, and finished in 5:44. I was never really worried about my time, as I loli-gagged through T1/T2. I just kept moving forward and tried to stay nice and aerobic. Before December, I could not swim, and I had only riden a bike maybe 10 times. I do have a decent running background. I found a program, and I did my darn best to stick to it. Consistency I believe is certainly one of the most critical component to training for any sport. The other is to establish Key Training in all 3 disciplines, and make sure to get these "quality" workouts in. Honestly, I never doubted that I would cross the finish line. Time was not a major factor, but getting through the day, and actually enjoying the experience was paramount for me. I treated the race as no more than a "glorified" training day. When you train for a hlf Ironman, you should at some point COVER the 1/2 IM distances. Not all on the same day! Just around the weeks that your training volume is high. In other words, you will have swam 1.2m non-stop. Maybe the next week, you do a 60M bike ride. And the following week you cover 13M on a run. Now you have the confidence to COVER the distance. The Half distance is VERY doable. Full Iron Distance I beleive (I am jsut speculating) takes you to a new dimension and another conversation.

2005-03-24 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
wow! some great advice here. I followed BT's 1/2 iron plan and found it to be exemplary.

I was scared as youare but with a plan and some distacne training you will do fine. Just do it! as the slogan goes.
2005-03-26 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Sounds like a recurring theme, but I say go for it!!!

I did my first 1/2 IM last year. (after doing a number of Olympics). I wanted to step up to another challenge and face my fear of that distance. The biggest thing I learned was the impact of nutrition during the race.
2005-04-13 12:35 AM
in reply to: #126638

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
WOW now that was some good advise. I admire your optimistic out look. You should be motivational speaker.

"Yo Lance, on your left"

2005-04-13 12:36 AM
in reply to: #126638

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
WOW now that was some good advise. I admire your optimistic out look. You should be motivational speaker.

2005-04-15 12:49 PM

User image

Dallas, Tx
I am doing my First Half-IronMan next month in Florida. Can't wait! If I am doing well, I am hoping my time is good enough to perhaps qualify for IronMan.
Doing triathlon in Austin this weekend.

(female_bicyclist_riding_hard_sm_wht.gif)

Attachments
----------------
female_bicyclist_riding_hard_sm_wht.gif (20KB - 115 downloads)
2005-05-14 11:01 AM
in reply to: #126908

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
waskelton - 2005-03-08 12:49 PM

as a wise BTer once said

Go for it!

I like the quote, is DFL Did Finish Last?

Lake Padden Triathlon 1/2, 21m, 5.3m
Baker Breakfast Cookie Olympic Distance
Black Diamond Half Ironman (my ultimate poosible final goal of the year?)
2005-05-14 1:20 PM
in reply to: #157544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
BellinghamSpence - 2005-05-14 11:01 AM

waskelton - 2005-03-08 12:49 PM

as a wise BTer once said

Go for it!

Lake Padden Triathlon 1/2, 21m, 5.3m
Baker Breakfast Cookie Olympic Distance
Black Diamond Half Ironman (my ultimate poosible final goal of the year?)

Not sure, I always thought it was "Dead Frickin' Last" (or the more vulgar version)
2005-05-15 7:38 PM
in reply to: #143034

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
dockarla - 2005-04-15 9:49 AM

If I am doing well, I am hoping my time is good enough to perhaps qualify for IronMan.

you've got to qualify to sign up for an IM? what are the time limits? they can't all be the same, since some 1/2 are a lot harder than others.

anyways, that's news to me. please enlighten me!

2005-05-16 12:42 AM
in reply to: #157568

Veteran
MO

Not sure, I always thought it was "Dead Frickin' Last" (or the more vulgar version)

It's the latter (or the more vulgar version).

Edited by Angie 2005-05-16 12:43 AM
2005-05-16 11:12 AM
in reply to: #157920

User image

Dallas, Tx
Sorry, my post probably reads funny. As far as I know, the only IronMan you have to qualify for is Hawaii.
Yes, some Half IronMans ARE harder than others. I may try St. Croix next year. May do the one in Lubbock next month and one here in Dallas in Agust.

The Half-IronMan is a great distance for me, and I can probably excel really well. I just did the one in Florida ( 5:15 ), and it is only my second triathlon. I just don't know that I have the time or want to put in the time necessary to do an IronMan,...... full time jobs sure get in the way...... and can be hard on the dating life. These guys want you waiting by the phone and want you convenient....... that's not me, he he.

2005-05-16 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I've done four sprint triathlons and haven't done my Oly yet. First one will be July 24. But I signed up for a 1/2 IM in Sept. for two reasons - I wanted to train for one and freakin' BTer's made me do it!

Seriously though. When I tell people about beginnertriathlete.com they sometimes snicker and say oh, they're "just" doing sprints or whatever. But what they don't know is that being a BTer means pushing yourself past your limits and finding out that you can suceed there. That's including whether your threshold was eating pizza in front of the television (that was mine!) or going from sprint to oly or making the jump to 1/2IM or IM.

Of course I'm scared. I'm worried. I'm a big gal. I've never been athletic. I'm slow. Am I going to make the cut off? I mean some of the 1/2IM times mentioned on this thread are about the time goal for my BIKE portion! (Goal four hours 56 miles). It's freakin' intimidating. But then I think back before I did my first sprint. When I was 240 pounds and I did my first run in Feb. of 2004 and this is what my log read:

Took my first crack at running this morning. Walk 2 min, ran 1, walk 2, ran 1..etc. Did 1 mim 3O sec on the last minute.
Tried to keep my HR in the 70% zone. Want to increase my VO2Max. Or just lazy. Can't figure out which one yet! (Ha).
My goal is to run 2 min without stopping by the end of the week.

Flash forward to yesterday when I ran 9 miles. I would have never progress from running "two minutes without stopping," as a goal to running 1/2 mary, after swimming and biking if I had not signed up for an 1/2IM. So will I have a great race? I'll try. Will I meet my goal times? I'll try. Will I cross the finish line? Hell yeah. But I've already got the victory just by saying I'm going to try. So I have no choice but to complete that victory by winning that Sweatshirt on 1/2IM day!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first half IM Rss Feed