Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wandering eyes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-12-16 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1852533

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Wandering eyes
Personally speaking, I don't check out other women. I check out other people. It's not a sexual thing, just a people-watching thing. I find people infinitely interesting; I guess you could say I'm a pretty big fan of our species.

2008-12-16 7:39 PM

User image

Elite

Don't ask me.  I had a whiplash injury from walking on the beach at the Redneck Riviera.  It was great.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2008-12-16 7:52 PM
2008-12-16 8:43 PM

User image

Elite
Honestly Snowgirl, straight men look at women...all women...pretty much all the time. Please do not take it personally. It's not about you. Don't take it as a slight.

I believe honesty is the key to a successful marriage. I've been married to the greatest woman in the world for 11 years come February. Sure, I've gotten some elbows to the ribs at times, the mall, the beach, etc., but we can laugh about it. The guys you need to worry about are the ones who lie to you and tell you they don't look. They're either snakes or gay. (not that there's anything wrong with being gay...but gay men don't make for great husbands to women...just sayin')

2008-12-16 9:11 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
My wife took me to HOOTERS for lunch today.  Wandering eyes you say?  I say that if the bouncies stop looking at me I'll stop the sideways glances.
2008-12-16 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1856478

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
mrbbrad - 2008-12-17 1:31 AM
eurydice79 - 2008-12-16 1:36 AM
SweetK - 2008-12-14 3:15 AM
max - 2008-12-13 1:11 PM

I'm going to start out by saying my wife and I both do this.  We'll be in the mall and I'll say "Wow that woman is really good looking" and I'll be checking her out.  But in my mind, the admiration part of it is as far as it goes.  There is no desire to fantasize about getting naked with her or anything else.  Conversely, Patti will say "That guy has nice blue eyes and a cute butt" and we'll both laugh about it.  Neither of us considers it disrespectfull.  Maybe being married for 35 years and still thinking each other is the hottest thing around has something to do with it.  I'm guessing we both are pretty secure and it's the longevity of the relationship that has locked in that level of security.  When you're younger or have only been with someone for a short while, you're still building up that level of trust.  There is that constant internal voice that says "I'm not good enough...he/she is seeing something better and I can't compete."  Perhaps it takes a long time for that to go away for some people.  For me, it was never there...I've known since day #1 that she was the only one for me and that there isn't another person on earth I'd rather spend time with.

It's not the inattentiveness at the mall that detracts from her feeling of security.  It's knowing that I'm there to help her 24/7 when she needs it.  When she is sick and I'll go out in a raging snowstorm to get her some cough medicine because she ran out of it.  Or when she was recovering from gall bladder surgery and was attempting to use the bathroom but had a pretty messy accident, and I was there in seconds to help clean it and her up and she cried because who would do that besides someone who loved her.

I can't speak for your inner feelings...all I know is how I feel and noticing and staring at and remarking about other women is pretty insignificant to all the love and respect that goes on in our relationship.  And we both know that.  I can't tell you to "get over it" because I'm not in your shoes.  All I can say is make sure you notice the other "good things" and are they a more convincing argument for how he really feels about you.

Well said Max... x2

X 3, very well said.

As other people on here have pointed out, there is a big difference between looking and leering.

So if someone was to copy your Super Woman image, enlarge it and make it their computer wall paper would that be leering? I mean, just for instance.....

Ha ha LOL, it would probably just come out really pixelated if you enlarged it

2008-12-16 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1857740

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
tupuppy - 2008-12-16 9:11 PM

I say that if the bouncies stop looking at me I'll stop the sideways glances.

That;s priceless.

2008-12-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1852539

User image

Elite
San Diego
pigfinn - 2008-12-13 8:53 AM

yuck...  I agree and find it demeaning and extremely disrespectful.

I mean if it happens once in a great while, I could see... but if this is a common occurrence, I would be alarmed.

Here's my thoughts... when you gut is telling you something,  it's best to listen to it.  How often has your gut been wrong?... I bet not alot.. .mine is usually right.. and when I'm trying to fight the gut feeling, I think that's another word for "rationalizing".

and when it comes to marriage... the last thing I want to do is rationalize "anything"

also... another thing, when you tell your SO that something bothers you and he doesn't stop it or work it out in way that's caring and makes you feel better.... if reasonable, that's another huge red flag.  tread slowly...

oh yeah one last note... you can see VERY easily the men who disrespect their SO's in public by looking at other women... I have had that experience many times... a guy at a dinner table checking me out while his SO is right there... yuk.... I want to go up to her and say "psst... you deserve better"

I think this is the best post in the entire thread.

If you told him that it bothers you when he does this in front of you and he still does it, what does this say about how he feels about your input?

Listen to your gut. You know something is wrong. If he doesn't listen to you now, will he listen once you are married?

2008-12-17 9:28 AM

User image

snowgirl - 2008-12-13 8:43 AM

Men: What are you doing/thinking/feeling when you look at other women, even when you are walking with your SO?

Women: What do you do/think/feel when a guy, who is walking with his SO, notices you or checks you out?

We've already talked about this but it still happens. We are in an otherwise very fulfilling relationship and are planning on getting married in 09. But this is really hurting me. He says he just "notices" beauty, but to me, it's more than that. It feels demeaning, disrespectful, as though I'm not enough to hold his attention... Please help me gain perspective on this -- what are YOUR thoughts??

I mean this respectuflly but I think your expectations are un-realistic.

Can you honestly say that you never look at another guy or girl?

He's with you becasue you caught his eye, heart and soul. Accept him for who he is or be frustrated.

Happy Holidays!!

2008-12-17 1:18 PM

Veteran
indian land, South Carolina

This is why every man should wear dark, wrap-around sunglasses....love my oakley m-frames

2008-12-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1857741

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
eurydice79 - 2008-12-16 10:12 PM [

Ha ha LOL, it would probably just come out really pixelated if you enlarged it

I love it when you talk dirty!

2008-12-17 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
I people watch...it's my hobby. So of course I look at the good looking ladies. Just today I pointed out this little barbie doll blonde all of 105 pounds proudly displaying her stripper implants....she knows I look at everyone....but there is never any intention that goes with it. She has her looks....that's fine with me....Love, honor, and cherish....never said anything about having a fixed gaze on her at all times....

2008-12-18 3:18 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Totally agree that there are two issues here.

1) You two need to talk very openly and frankly about your past and what that means for both of you. If he can't or won't respect that and curb his sightseeing habits while you two develop the trust as you heal from your past marriage, then he can't or won't respect you enough to hold your attention.

2) However, you also need to be willing to accept that just looking isn't cheating. Others have pointed out the difference between looking and leering - if you feel he is on the leering side of the line, talk to him. If you can take a hard, honest appraisal and find he is on the looking side, work to let your guard down a bit and see how it feels. Still, talk to him about what you are going through, and let him know that while you are getting used to him looking, you might need him to stop sometimes when you are too overwhelmed to handle it. Chat with friends who know both of you and see what they say - do THEY think he is looking or leering? Don't let others tell you what to think, and that includes your ex.

Finally, notice when you check out other people, guys or girls. I bet you do it pretty often (most of us do), and it might help you to understand that it is perfectly normal and help you accept where he is.
2008-12-18 6:11 AM

User image

Tyler,

Instead of saying he "notices beauty" he should reassure  you by saying your the only one he wants or something like that.

Edited by triritter 2008-12-18 6:14 AM
2008-12-18 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Decatur
snowgirl - 2008-12-13 11:43 AM

Men: What are you doing/thinking/feeling when you look at other women, even when you are walking with your SO?

Women: What do you do/think/feel when a guy, who is walking with his SO, notices you or checks you out?

We've already talked about this but it still happens. We are in an otherwise very fulfilling relationship and are planning on getting married in 09. But this is really hurting me. He says he just "notices" beauty, but to me, it's more than that. It feels demeaning, disrespectful, as though I'm not enough to hold his attention... Please help me gain perspective on this -- what are YOUR thoughts??

Honestly, we are both looking at the women. but I CAN appreciate a hot woman and we do talk about them together.

I knew he loved to look at women when I met him so it really doesn't bother me. Or is that because I'm looking too? *shrugs* doesn't bother me either.

Kinda like what Max said.  But we both think each other is the hottest so we don't care

Edited by latrina 2008-12-18 7:21 AM
2008-12-18 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1852848

User image

Pro
Texas
KCD1974 - 2008-12-13 8:10 PM

I haven't read every post on this topic...but I have to bring up the fact that perhaps the two most poplur COJ threads are BT Guys and BT Women. Most of people posting/viewing are married or in relationships. That shoud tell us all that both sexes enjoying the viewing of the other.

If any women or men here truely believe that their SO doesn't "check out" attractive people is fooling themselves. The key thing to remember is you're together for a reason.

Physical beauty is only a small piece of the relationship puzzle. I have no issues with my wife checking out other guys....

I wonder how many of the women in this thread that complain about 'wandering eyes' have posted pics in the BT Women thread.
2008-12-18 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
I have the greatest, hottest wife ever! Even if she is 7 monthes ready to pop with our third. My loving wife who carries her own set of natural mountains (and people stare ALOT, and I just laugh) does not hesitate to give me a elbow nudge to point out some eye candy. Cracks me up when she asl "did you see that?" and i yank my head around looking at what I missed, then I get the "real smooth and the eye roll". I guess what I am saying is, wandering eyes withing a healty relationship is a good thing, a direct quote from my wife just now, "I don't mind you going to the buffet, long as you come home to eat". Enough said!

2008-12-18 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Wow, this one's really interesting to me. I'm actually conflicted on how to respond so I'll just do a little brain barfing here.

On one hand, I'm bummed for the OP since she's discussed it with her SO and doesn't feel like she's seeing the change in behavior that she desires. Of course, we have no idea of the timeline, "severity" of the behavior, etc. But if there's one thing that disgusts me, its people who don't hold their relationship in high enough regard to do the work necessary to make it a successful one. 

On the other hand, I'm wondering how much of this can be chalked up to insecurity or divergent expectations or a combo of both. The statement that really stood out to me was "It feels demeaning, disrespectful, as though I'm not enough to hold his attention...". First, it doesn't sound like he's saying "wow, I'd like to get her naked" while you're out together. So how are you defining the demeaning part? Disrespectful I get since you've asked him to change his behavior. But feeling demeaned is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. Second, and much more importantly, do you really expect to be able to "hold his attention" all the time when you're together? If you're honest with yourself, you probably couldn't say that he holds your attention 100% of the time. I guess what I'm getting at is the notion that a SO/spouse needs to be all things all the time to their partner. None of us can be that for anyone nor should we expect that. Doing so puts undue pressure on either ourselves or our SO or both.  

I once heard from a friend that "the key to a successful relationship is low expectations". When you think about that statement, its pretty true. Perhaps its even better stated as "no expectations" since your long term relationship will most likely end up different than what you expected. Ain't life grand?  

In the interest of full disclosure, I've been married 7 years, most of them very good. I also unconsciously drool every time Heidi Klum appears on Project Runway. The fact that that Project Runway is one of my favorite TV shows oughta tell you something, too.

Cheers!

Tom

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wandering eyes Rss Feed  

of 3