General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 48s
Overall Rank = 122/5788
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/385
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 for a shower, some PB toast, and water. Got those silly D tags on our shoes and then we were off. Had to stop by John's to pick up a zipper pouch to hold my gels on my race belt, then met Sean at the Parker Station to give him a ride down to the AAC. Getting there 2 hours early was sweet. We got a spot right by the building for 5 bucks. Literally 200 yards from the finish line. Parked right beside a couple of college buddies that we hadn't seen in years. After talking to them for a while I christened the portajohn. Then we headed inside.

Sat and talked with some NTMS folks that were doing the relay and just people watched. About 7:15 I went to the bathroom again. Inside I saw Chris just finishing up, so I broke the no talking in the men's room rule. Then back out to Chili's where I saw Tommy and Michelle. Stripped down to my shorts and shirt, dropped my bag off at bag check, and into line.

This year they had starting corrals which helped a lot. The first few miles last year were zig zagging between walkers and slow runners, so grouping people into A-C corrals was nice. It was a bit crowded having the full and half runners together (1 hr stagger last year), but not bad.
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 1h 33m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew going in that the wind would be brutal at the end, so the plan was to bank some time early so the finish wind didn't decimate my time. I went out pretty hard the first 4 miles before settling somewhat into my pace. The first few miles were the usual chaos, but not as bad as usual thanks to the corrals. Saw several familiar faces along the way - Steve yelled at me from a bridge about 3 miles in, saw David around mile 4, and John was on his bike around mile 5. Saw Tommy running towards the turnaround just after I had passed it. Also saw my college buddies from earlier in the morning.

I took water every other aid station because it was frakking warm. My shirt was drenched with sweat after only 4 miles. Did gels at 3.5, 7.5, and 9.5. I think that was a mistake. Immediately after the last gel, I got a side stitch that would not quit until the finish. 2 gels probably would have been enough. Overthinking things I guess.

The last 5K just flat out sucked. Dead into the wind, side stitch, and newly-formed blisters made it not much fun. Mentally draining. Did some math and figured I would come in just under 1:34 with 7:30 miles, which was about all I could manage. Banking the time early had worked. I was dead now, but I had time to spare.

I stopped and walked for the only time at the last aid station for a full glass of water and to thank the volunteers, then I jogged in the rest of the way. Maybe I was just sand bagging my PR so I can break it at Cowtown.
What would you do differently?:

1 less gel, a little less water, and Body Glide those feet.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the line for a medal, a surprising finisher's tech shirt (last year I think it was visors), and a few pictures. Then I walked into the AAC for a massage. No wait. That rocked. The people who volunteer to rub down sweaty athletes are amazing.

Afterwards I found the free beer. Grabbed one for me and one for my friend (ahem) and slugged them down. Mmm...free Amber Bock. That took the pain away nicely.

Shoes and socks off, walked the wrong way barefoot around the AAC to the bag drop pickup. Again, no wait. Putting on clean, dry socks and a dry finisher's shirt was nice. Saw my friends from Master's Cathy and Julie right after they had finished, then watched Shannon, Marcy, and Sean come in. Everyone rocked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, overthinking nutrition, wind, Body Glide-less feet, and wind.

Event comments:

The conditions were better last year, but I really liked the new course. If not for the wind, it would have been a smoking fast course.

I loved the race last year, but this year was even better. Finisher's shirts are way better than the finisher's visors they gave out last year, and we even got "WR training" tech shirts at packet pickup. I'm all about the swag.

Last updated: 2008-09-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:48 | 13.1 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/385
Overall: 122/5788
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 6:27, 168 HR; Mile 2 - 6:09, 185 HR; Mile 3 - 6:29, 187 HR; Mile 4 - 6:52, 188 HR; Mile 5 - 7:18, 187 HR; Mile 6 - 7:11, 185 HR; Mile 7 - 7:21, 185 HR; Mile 8 - 7:03, 185 HR; Mile 9 - 7:25, 185 HR; Mile 10 - 7:00, 186 HR; Mile 11 - 7:24, 184 HR; Mile 12 - 7:33, 183 HR; Mile 13 - 7:39, 184 HR
Course: Out and back. Split at 6.5 for the half, then the last 5K on the Katy Trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-12-16 6:54 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon

2008-12-16 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1855962

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon
Great job baby!  I'm proud of you!!!  It was a fun race.
2008-12-17 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1855962

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon
Congrats on the PR.  Great to see you guys out there.  You looked strong when I crossed you on the out and back.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed