of 17

2009-03-13 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2014926

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL

tribesman - 2009-03-12 10:12 PM
natebs - 2009-03-09 8:23 PM I have tried the orande only so far. I am going to try the other flavors as well, before the race. On race day I might use all 3 flavor so i dont get sick of just one flavor. How do you like the lemon. Have you tried the other one?
Nate, I like the Lemon Lime but find it a little sweeter than the orange. I might recommend you "dial down" the flavor meter a bit. I called and spoke to Michael at Infinit and he said many agree with me re the taste. Let me know what you decide! I have not tried the fruit punch yet. Tony

Nate,

I like the Fruit Punch a lot.  I have FP for my bike formula and Orange for my Run.  I have the flavor dialed down a lot and it still tastes like Kool Aid.  LOVE IT.

2009-03-14 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1857242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Hi Guys,

Just had to share some more good news.  I did the Silver Comet 10k today.  I had not planned on doing it but since i had a long run today wanted to put it in for some fun.  I have had an intense week of training so i did not have fresh legs at all.  Even so i did 15 min wrm up then off I went for the race.  i did the 10k in 1:08.  While that is mighty slow for most of you, it was AWESOME for me.  I really turned in up the 2nd half and was sub 10 min miles for part of it.  This is my best time ever and on tired legs to boot.  I am really happy because I can actually see some major improvment in my running.  When I started all this many months ago I could do about a 15:30 min mile.  I feel pretty comfy at a 12:30 pace and feel that on a flat course with fresh legs I could do pretty decent.  I just am really happy to see some pay off.  Have a good rest of your training weekend guys..It really does work..My speedier little legs prove it!

2009-03-14 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2017689

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
afrutoz - 2009-03-14 1:53 PM

Hi Guys,

Just had to share some more good news.  I did the Silver Comet 10k today.  I had not planned on doing it but since i had a long run today wanted to put it in for some fun.  I have had an intense week of training so i did not have fresh legs at all.  Even so i did 15 min wrm up then off I went for the race.  i did the 10k in 1:08.  While that is mighty slow for most of you, it was AWESOME for me.  I really turned in up the 2nd half and was sub 10 min miles for part of it.  This is my best time ever and on tired legs to boot.  I am really happy because I can actually see some major improvment in my running.  When I started all this many months ago I could do about a 15:30 min mile.  I feel pretty comfy at a 12:30 pace and feel that on a flat course with fresh legs I could do pretty decent.  I just am really happy to see some pay off.  Have a good rest of your training weekend guys..It really does work..My speedier little legs prove it!

YEAH!! Congrats!
2009-03-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2017689

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2009-03-14 1:53 PM

Hi Guys,

Just had to share some more good news.  I did the Silver Comet 10k today.  I had not planned on doing it but since i had a long run today wanted to put it in for some fun.  I have had an intense week of training so i did not have fresh legs at all.  Even so i did 15 min wrm up then off I went for the race.  i did the 10k in 1:08.  While that is mighty slow for most of you, it was AWESOME for me.  I really turned in up the 2nd half and was sub 10 min miles for part of it.  This is my best time ever and on tired legs to boot.  I am really happy because I can actually see some major improvment in my running.  When I started all this many months ago I could do about a 15:30 min mile.  I feel pretty comfy at a 12:30 pace and feel that on a flat course with fresh legs I could o pretty decent.  I just am really happy to see some pay off.  Have a good rest of your training weekend guys..It really does work..My speedier little legs prove it!

Ali,

That is AWESOME! I am very proud of you and excited! It sounds like going in to the race a little less stressed from a spontaneous and positive attitude paid off. I am all for doing some races on "tired" or un-fresh legs. It DOES teach you to race harder and pull from within. I did it last weekend myself and it paid off as well. In fact, a friend, teammate/training partner ran 8 miles before the SC 10k (yes, the morning of!) and PRed by over a minute.

So Ali, keep training hard and pushing it...you will see positive results in 2009 if so!

Tony
2009-03-16 3:57 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey gang,

How was everyone's weekend?

-Any lesson's learned?

-Met or exceed goals?

-Set backs?

How about we discuss specific race prep for the next week. This can include nutrition, equipment, scheduling, and mental training, amongst other items.

I'd like to hear your thoughts then I will toss some out

Thanks!

Tony
2009-03-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2021347

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
tribesman - 2009-03-16 4:57 PM

Hey gang,

-Any lesson's learned?

-Met or exceed goals?

-Set backs?

How about we discuss specific race prep for the next week. This can include nutrition, equipment, scheduling, and mental training, amongst other items.

Thanks!

Tony

Wet! Got rained out all around. Ended up on treadmill and trainer. Met goals I guess - best can say given the circumstances. No set backs atleast.

I don't have a whole lot to contribute on race prep - I, of course pack the night before to make sure I have everything. The morning of - when I can, I do a 30 min yoga stretch video before I leave to stretch, calm down and get my mind a bit relaxed. As soon as I get in the car my mind starts racing again - but at least I am stretched a bit.

2009-03-17 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2021466

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: race prep
swise - 2009-03-16 6:07 PM

tribesman - 2009-03-16 4:57 PM

Hey gang,

-Any lesson's learned?

-Met or exceed goals?

-Set backs?

Thanks!

Tony

Wet! Got rained out all around. Ended up on treadmill and trainer. Met goals I guess - best can say given the circumstances. No set backs atleast.

I don't have a whole lot to contribute on race prep - I, of course pack the night before to make sure I have everything. The morning of - when I can, I do a 30 min yoga stretch video before I leave to stretch, calm down and get my mind a bit relaxed. As soon as I get in the car my mind starts racing again - but at least I am stretched a bit.

Sandy,

Packing the night before a race is great idea. It helps ensure you have everything you need and are less stressed about it (hopefully ) on race morning. The yoga video is a great idea too. Maybe I need to try it?!

Thanks for sharing,
Tony
2009-03-17 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2021347

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA

tribesman - 2009-03-16 1:57 PM Hey gang, How was everyone's weekend? -Any lesson's learned? -Met or exceed goals? -Set backs? How about we discuss specific race prep for the next week. This can include nutrition, equipment, scheduling, and mental training, amongst other items. I'd like to hear your thoughts then I will toss some out Thanks! Tony

Hi all!  Long time no post!  I have a coach and he trains using Training Peaks, so I've been over there for a while - double-entry just wasn't cutting it.

Catching up: on Sunday, in one day, I ran 10.5 trail miles then (a bit later) swam 2 miles (pool).  I've ridden up to 45 miles in one day so far in the last month.  Things are going great!

On race prep, a subject near and dear to my heart, I have a 2-page printout of everything I need for race day, down to watch and sunglasses and giving a buddy a key to my car just in case.  I get everything ready the night before, get up, put the clothes on, go downstairs and mix everything (already out and waiting), and off I go.  Everything I need I fit into a tri backpack.  I make sure to bring a pen with me and as the setup and day progress, I make changes to the prep sheet as needed, then when home update it for the next race, so it's constantly evolving.  The very nice part is that I rarely forget anything, and usually have too much, but I'd rather be in that position than the other way around.

Happy training!

Steve

2009-03-17 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2023945

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Steve Mark - 2009-03-17 5:20 PM

tribesman - 2009-03-16 1:57 PM Hey gang, How was everyone's weekend? -Any lesson's learned? -Met or exceed goals? -Set backs? How about we discuss specific race prep for the next week. This can include nutrition, equipment, scheduling, and mental training, amongst other items. I'd like to hear your thoughts then I will toss some out Thanks! Tony

Hi all!  Long time no post!  I have a coach and he trains using Training Peaks, so I've been over there for a while - double-entry just wasn't cutting it.

Catching up: on Sunday, in one day, I ran 10.5 trail miles then (a bit later) swam 2 miles (pool).  I've ridden up to 45 miles in one day so far in the last month.  Things are going great!

On race prep, a subject near and dear to my heart, I have a 2-page printout of everything I need for race day, down to watch and sunglasses and giving a buddy a key to my car just in case.  I get everything ready the night before, get up, put the clothes on, go downstairs and mix everything (already out and waiting), and off I go.  Everything I need I fit into a tri backpack.  I make sure to bring a pen with me and as the setup and day progress, I make changes to the prep sheet as needed, then when home update it for the next race, so it's constantly evolving.  The very nice part is that I rarely forget anything, and usually have too much, but I'd rather be in that position than the other way around.

Happy training!

Steve

Don't have to log in both places to post -- tony doesn't. my bt logs are abbreviated - i mainly do it still b/c i like to see the graph when I open my page up that shows my workouts over hte past few weeks -- yes, I am wierd like that.

I would love to get a copy of the list that you have -- mind emailing me or just posting for all of us?
2009-03-18 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2023945

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Steve Mark - 2009-03-17 5:20 PM

Happy training!

Steve

STEVE! Welcome back! Glad you are still on-board and training consistently...and good to hear things are going great.

Sounds like you have quite a race prep "cheat sheet" and are overly obsessed like me I actually did have a sheet like that and now go by "feel". I lay out my swim, bike, and run gear in that order, then my nutrition (pre-race, race, recovery mix). I give it a once over and pack it in my tri gear bag like you. It's rare that I forget anything come race day but it does happen. (Forgot to transfer my cyclometer magnet from training to race wheels at Ironman FL but luckily could buy one there).

As Sandy said, you don't have to update your logs to participate in the forum. Hope to see more posts soon.

Oh, and if any of you have specific questions re what I am doing re training, feel free to ask. IE...Tony, what did you do this week or what do your weekends look like these days?

Thanks gang,

Tony
2009-03-18 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Sandy and others,

Here is a good website to create a triathlon check list:

http://triathlon.racechecklist.com/

The best is under Misc:  Click on the ? after victory speech.

2009-03-19 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

I think most of us are pretty 'intense' people and are the Type A ones who always make lists and recheck them.  I always pack everything the day before, with written lists etc.  I way over pack and try to brainstorm every eventuality.  My main reason is that if I don't do this pre-race I stress out.  I am always very nervous/excited before a race so this helps me feel in control and it gives me something to focus on.  I also try to get a really good night sleep two nights before the race because I always have trouble sleeping the night before.  I have raced without much sleep the night before and am now comfortable that it doesn't really impact my performance.  I just lay there and know that my body is resting even if my mind isn't.    Knowing this has helped me so that I don't lay there all night thinking "OMG I'm not sleeping" over and over again...

Speaking of sleep..I have always been a good sleeper.  The more I train, the less sleep I seem to be getting.  I seem like I sleep deeper but I am waking up at ungodly early hours.  Some nights I just feel oddly wired but physically tired and it takes a lot of start and stops to finally fall and stay asleep.  I read something today about resting heart rate increases.  What is that??? How can I tell what my resting heart rate is?  Does it matter?  Does it affect sleep? 

2009-03-19 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2028402

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2009-03-19 3:40 PM

I think most of us are pretty 'intense' people and are the Type A ones who always make lists and recheck them.  I always pack everything the day before, with written lists etc.  I way over pack and try to brainstorm every eventuality.  My main reason is that if I don't do this pre-race I stress out.  I am always very nervous/excited before a race so this helps me feel in control and it gives me something to focus on.  I also try to get a really good night sleep two nights before the race because I always have trouble sleeping the night before.  I have raced without much sleep the night before and am now comfortable that it doesn't really impact my performance.  I just lay there and know that my body is resting even if my mind isn't.    Knowing this has helped me so that I don't lay there all night thinking "OMG I'm not sleeping" over and over again...

Speaking of sleep..I have always been a good sleeper.  The more I train, the less sleep I seem to be getting.  I seem like I sleep deeper but I am waking up at ungodly early hours.  Some nights I just feel oddly wired but physically tired and it takes a lot of start and stops to finally fall and stay asleep.  I read something today about resting heart rate increases.  What is that??? How can I tell what my resting heart rate is?  Does it matter?  Does it affect sleep? 

Ali,

I agree that there are many Type A personalities in tri, which is why we all mostly get along. You hit the nail on the head re sleep. The most important night is actually 2 nights before the race. I find that the night before means little in regards to my race performance. I have gotten 2 hours before Ironman and a HIM, and 6 before a sprint and HIM (all in the same year). I can still perform as planned under both conditions. My thoughts are...I have done the work....the race isn't going anywhere and I choose to start and finish. I plan to do both everytime!

Re your questions, a resting heart rate is the rate at which your heart is beating first thing in morning before any activity. You can take this by keeping a watch by your bed and checking your pulse. Count the number of beats in 15 seconds and multiply that number by 4. That is very close to your resting heart rate. (the number of heart beats in one minute) Generally, the fitter you are, the lower the number. I check mine every once in a while and notice it dropping as the season progressess....which is good! It should not affect sleep. However, I do notice that if I train later than usual or just before bedtime, I had trouble sleeping because my heart rate is usually higher.

Does this make sense?

Tony
2009-03-22 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Thanks Tony...

I had a good week of training.  I learned something new this week.  I have a coach and pay the man but I realized I have been ignoring some of my training plans.  When he gives me a pre set HR I tend to push every workout too hard to see how fast I can go etc thus ignoring the HR he sets.  On wens of this week I ignored my moderate tempo one hour ride and did 2 at a faster higher HR.  By thurs am I was paying the price.  I had noticed overall that I am feeling more fatigue, being more emotional etc.  I realized after my swim practice thurs that I was spent and I had not even started my big long weekend efforts.  So, I cut out my short run thurs night, rested, and then followed my coach's plan with a moderate, tempo HR for my workouts fri, sat and sun.  I am in much better shape tonight and I realize that pushing yourself to see how you will do in a race every workout is a fast track to disaster.  Yeap..I have learned the lesson about 'overtraining'..Its funny how it sneaks up on you...Hope everyone had a good weekend of training!

2009-03-23 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2033289

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2009-03-22 7:10 PM

Thanks Tony...

I had a good week of training.  I learned something new this week.  I have a coach and pay the man but I realized I have been ignoring some of my training plans.  When he gives me a pre set HR I tend to push every workout too hard to see how fast I can go etc thus ignoring the HR he sets.  On wens of this week I ignored my moderate tempo one hour ride and did 2 at a faster higher HR.  By thurs am I was paying the price.  I had noticed overall that I am feeling more fatigue, being more emotional etc.  I realized after my swim practice thurs that I was spent and I had not even started my big long weekend efforts.  So, I cut out my short run thurs night, rested, and then followed my coach's plan with a moderate, tempo HR for my workouts fri, sat and sun.  I am in much better shape tonight and I realize that pushing yourself to see how you will do in a race every workout is a fast track to disaster.  Yeap..I have learned the lesson about 'overtraining'..Its funny how it sneaks up on you...Hope everyone had a good weekend of training!

Ali,

Glad you had a good week of training! A while back I too learned that a coach is there for a reason. You pay him to develop your plans and guide you along the way. If you don't follow the plan (and take the good advice) it's much harder to develop as an athlete. He should be there to ensure you are training properly, recovering well and not overtraining, amongst other things.

Tony
2009-03-23 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran

Good lesson to learn..it is one I still have to work on as well.

Weekend workouts were good for me. I was able to run outside yesturday even though it was cold..32f..I just didnt feel like running on the treadmill. One of the instructions was to run a course other then your normal one. It was a good idea and I really enjoyed the run.

I had some moles on my chest and back cut out on Friday afternoon so I will be skipping my swims this week (waiting for them to heal abit). I thought about replacing the swims with either the bike or run but now I have decided to just stick to the plan and just leave out the swims.

2009-03-23 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2035333

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-03-23 5:03 PM

Good lesson to learn..it is one I still have to work on as well.

Weekend workouts were good for me. I was able to run outside yesturday even though it was cold..32f..I just didnt feel like running on the treadmill. One of the instructions was to run a course other then your normal one. It was a good idea and I really enjoyed the run.

I had some moles on my chest and back cut out on Friday afternoon so I will be skipping my swims this week (waiting for them to heal abit). I thought about replacing the swims with either the bike or run but now I have decided to just stick to the plan and just leave out the swims.

Nate,

Re the removals, I was there last year. Give it time to heal my friend...
Glad you made it outside to run. 32f is plenty warm enough Heck 8f is too...

Team- Sounds like we had some good training so far. How was everyone elses weekend?

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-03-23 4:07 PM
2009-03-23 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran

I have plans on purchasing a new bike. I have a good deal on a Look 496 frame. Any thougs about this bike. Ive done alot of home work and I just wanted one more place of info and since here on this site we all know a little about bikes I thought I`d ask. It a 08 frame, $4000 and I can pick it up for $2250. new, still wrapped. I have done alot of watching on ebay for the rest of the bike and think I can get most of it for about half the price instead of new. Any thoughs here - or spare parts in your garage?

Thanks

2009-03-24 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2035345

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
tribesman - 2009-03-23 5:07 PM

Team- Sounds like we had some good training so far. How was everyone elses weekend?

Tony

Little late responding - but better late than never.

My weekend was good. We had the best weather in quite a while. Wore myself out a bit by cramming in projects on house (pressure washing...) and other family / church obligations on top of long run Sat and ride Sun, but with such great weather you can't help but try to get everything possible in.
2009-03-24 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2035373

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
natebs - 2009-03-23 5:18 PM

I have plans on purchasing a new bike. I have a good deal on a Look 496 frame. Any thougs about this bike. Ive done alot of home work and I just wanted one more place of info and since here on this site we all know a little about bikes I thought I`d ask. It a 08 frame, $4000 and I can pick it up for $2250. new, still wrapped. I have done alot of watching on ebay for the rest of the bike and think I can get most of it for about half the price instead of new. Any thoughs here - or spare parts in your garage?

Thanks

Wish I could say -- I don't have a clue. When I was lookign to purchase my bike I searched for blogs that had discussed the one I was looking at. Presume you have already done this - but the only 2 cents I have to offer.
2009-03-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2035373

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
natebs - 2009-03-23 5:18 PM

Thanks

Nate,

That is a good price for that frame...BUT.  Note that the LOOK 496 is a very stiff bike.  I don't know your frame/physical make up but it takes some quads to get that bike running.  It's like the Ferrarri of the Tri world.  My training partner in Va bought one and he has the nick name "Quadzilla".  He had to get use to getting that bike up to speed. 

Don't get me wrong, it rides smooth!  I got on it and barely felt speed bumps.  And once you get it going it flies.  But just wanted to let you know what I have seen with it.  The turning radius on it isn't so hot either, but that's neither here nor there to be honest with you.  See if you can find a local dealer that has a complete bike and take it out for a test ride.

Also, don't forget to add in about $100 for the LBS to put the parts together assuming you're not going to do it yourself.  I know I would not even begin to do my own bike maintenance.  :P

2009-03-26 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Q:  Strategy for Half Mary this Sunday

I am doing a half marathon this sunday.  It will be my second.  I haven't run 13 since my last race in Nov.  I have been doing long runs of 1:40 but have not been even close to 10 miles.

I know I can do 12 min miles for 6 miles but that is in a 10k only.  I am trying to come up with a race plan for the longer distance.  I think 14 min miles for first 2 miles, then 13:30 for 3-6, then sub 13 for the rest..  Does it matter my coach has me training through this race and is using it as a C race?  I still want to do well for me.  Is my plan to complicated?  Thoughts on best way to attack this longer distance.   I also forgot to mention its a very hilly course which will probably kill all my time planning anyway...

2009-03-26 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2041232

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
afrutoz - 2009-03-26 10:13 AM

Q:  Strategy for Half Mary this Sunday

I am doing a half marathon this sunday.  It will be my second.  I haven't run 13 since my last race in Nov.  I have been doing long runs of 1:40 but have not been even close to 10 miles.

I know I can do 12 min miles for 6 miles but that is in a 10k only.  I am trying to come up with a race plan for the longer distance.  I think 14 min miles for first 2 miles, then 13:30 for 3-6, then sub 13 for the rest..  Does it matter my coach has me training through this race and is using it as a C race?  I still want to do well for me.  Is my plan to complicated?  Thoughts on best way to attack this longer distance.   I also forgot to mention its a very hilly course which will probably kill all my time planning anyway...

I ran it several weeks back and it isn't as bad as you think - don't psych yourself out about it. Have you talked to your coach about a race plan?? Even if it is a "C race" he/she shoudl give you some direction on how to plan. Tony or Dan are much more education and can likely give better direction than I - but, personally, I would try to find a more comfortable pace that you can maintain over a longer stretch than try to run the last half of 13 at a 10k pace if you haven't trained for that. Don't forget to plan out your nutrician (sp?).
2009-03-29 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
I know a few of you were running the Atlanta ING today -- how did it go???
2009-03-30 7:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
LOL...Weeelllll so much for planning.  As we crested the hill into the early am sunshine during the first 2 miles or so, I looked to my Garmin and found I was running a MUCH faster pace than I planned.  Then I checked my HR and found it was much lower than I would expect for that pace so I just went with it.  Cardiowise the race was great.  I had lots of energy at the end.  The real issue I had was I had some pain in my knees during the last three miles.  I wanted to push through it but I was concerned that I might hurt myelf.  I still haven't learned what is acceptable pain vs stop now kinda pain.  It turned out this was push through it pain cause I am fine today.  Oh well, lesson learned sort of.  I also drank too much h2o and gatoraide which made my tummy hurt towards the end.  I skipped the last 2 hydration stops and eased up a bit on pace for a minute and that helped straighten out the tummy.  I did follow my plan of pushing harder the second half of the race.  I really was happy at how fast the time flew by, my overall pace and knowing that, without the pain, I could have really killed it (for me)...I had not run that distance or time in a long time and I am sure conditioning and longer runs will help get me there.  Overall, I was really happy with my performance.  I did 11:30 pace and finished at exactly 2:30 which is what I had hoped for.  I am not sure but I think I shaved off nearly 10 min from my last race and lord knows I feel much better today than I did after my first half mary....   Kiss
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17