General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Rockingham Triathlon - Pursuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

City of Rockingham Triathlon - Pursuit - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockingham, Western Australia
Australia
Trievents
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 14s
Overall Rank = 450/467
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 26/28
Pre-race routine:

Got everything packed & ready the night before. Sef decided that he was going to go surfing in the morning which was fair enough - it was a long way to go just to stand around for a few hours! I got up at 5am. Breakfast was coffee and porridge. Sipped on a bidon of water with some Berocca on the 45 min drive down to Rockingham.
Event warmup:

Found a park easily quite close to transition. Registered, got body marked, set up, went to the toilet etc etc etc. Milled around talking to friends, watched the WAFL boys go off and then the enticer participants. Our wave didn't go off until 8.30am which was quite late. About 20 mins before we were due to start I did a warm up jog along the beach and then swam about 100-200m to warm up.
Swim
  • 19m 19s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was super shallow for about 50m and then there was a drop off into deep water, so there was a fair bit of running before we could actually swim. I ran in, started to swim when I could and tried to find some feet to draft off. For some reason I felt a bit panicky on the way out which normally never happens to me. I felt that everyone was far ahead of me and that I was all alone in the deep blue sea where I couldn't see the bottom. Then I realised that there were still people around me and that the next wave would soon be coming up behind and I calmed down and started to think more positive thoughts.

There was a girl ahead of me that swam breastroke the whole way, and I couldn't catch her! I used her legs to navigate, I thought she'd probably have a fair idea where she was going!! :)

Towards the end of the swim the wave behind us caught up, it was males 40-49 I think, anyway they were swimming pretty fast and I hoped no one would swim over me. They didn't :)
What would you do differently?:

I did the best I could! I don't think it was my best performance, but I swam as fast as I could. So be it :)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Usual transition. Usual time delays due to need to put on socks :)

Nothing.
Bike
  • 45m 40s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.28 km/hr
Comments:

Two laps of a mostly flat, out & back course with a little bit of wind. Stayed in aero the whole time and tried to get my nutrition in. I had a Gu followed by some water, then a while later I started in the Gatorade. I tried to keep at 30kmhr but managed an average speed of 28.5kmhr in the end. Very incident-free cycle course of there today, I didn't see the officials need to tell anyone off.

Official time includes T1 & T2.

Get faster! :)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Usual transition. All good.

Not much.
Run
  • 29m 13s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 50s  min/km
Comments:

I still can't believe I ran that fast!!! I ran all the way without stopping, not counting 2 very brief water station stops. I actually felt quite good during the first 3k of this run and almost found myself enjoying it, then the last 2k were just hard and I wanted to get it over and done with :)

Run even faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran through the finishing chute and was really surprised that my gorgeous husband had some down to support me after all! The surf wasn't all that good it turns out :) Had an apple and some water, they were serving that new Carboshotz drink that totally doesn't agree with me, I had one sip and threw the rest out. Milled around and chatted with friends, some Wellbeings crew and my coach. I wanted to stay back for presentations & prizes but Sef was grumpy because by that stage it was 10.30am and he hadn't eaten anything yet. Silly boy!!! :) So we went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No fast twitch muscle fibres??? ;) LOL

Event comments:

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I am much fitter with every season, this is my fourth long course race and I finish strong. I now consistently run all the way and don't seriously consider walking at all. So all this is good. But I am still so slow. I am still always coming in close to the bottom. I don't know what it is, 'cos I train a lot. I think I am probably just not very talented when it comes to speed. I need to focus more on my achievements and not correlate my lack of speed with not working hard enough. I do enjoy racing and I enjoyed today. I am very very pleased with my run performance and my cycle was good too. The swim could have been better but it wasn't bad really. I am just going to keep training :)

Last updated: 2008-11-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:19 | 750 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/28
Overall: 417/467
Performance: Average
Suit: No - not until after Christmas!
Course: Beach start, rectangular swim out to a buoy, then swim parallel to shore, then around another buoy back into shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:40 | 20 kms | 26.28 km/hr
Age Group: 25/28
Overall: 438/467
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of a mostly flat out & back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:13 | 05 kms | 05m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 24/28
Overall: 443/467
Performance: Good
Course: Turned right out of transition and ran 1.5k out then 1.5k back. Then ran back past transition and continued 1k out and 1k back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-12-21 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: City of Rockingham Triathlon - Pursuit

2008-12-21 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1865574

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: City of Rockingham Triathlon - Pursuit

Excellent race Magda!

Congrats on the super run!!

2008-12-21 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Well done Magda!  that's a great time!  
2008-12-21 5:58 PM

Perth

Hi there,

Sensational race, great run, and a really good time!...I read your comments about speed etc, and thought you were being a bit tough on yourself...

Have a look at your log from the same day last year... http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=33083&month=12&year=2007

You are running over a minute faster per Km in a longer distance race now than you were in a training run last year...if I could cut a minute per km off my run i'd be extatic!

Keep up at this rate and we'll see you at the olympics in a couple of years

Well done. 

2008-12-21 7:36 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great race, Magda.  Beautiful times.
2008-12-21 11:50 PM

User image

Perth, WA
I think your goal each year should be to finish that race faster than the year before, you are doing that no problem so give yourself a pat on the back. Well done!

2008-12-28 11:27 PM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS! You pulled off a really great race. Good job on keeping calm in the water and pushing through the panic. You were very speedy on the bike, and did an awesome job following it up with a fast run for you!

You really did your best and this was overall a super job! The speed and improvements will come in time, just keep doing what you're doing!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Rockingham Triathlon - Pursuit Rss Feed