Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Costa Rica Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-16 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Woodridge, IL
Subject: Costa Rica

Hi,

We are planning a possible trip to Costa Rica on vacation in September (in the way beginning of the planning process) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. The plan is to rent a house/conco - but we're not sure of the best locations, if we need a car, etc. as it's our first time visiting. 

Any travel info/useful links that you have would be great!

2009-01-16 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1912782

User image

Subject: RE: Costa Rica

I'll be watching this thread as we are looking to go as well, not sure when,,,,

I was there in 2006 and stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge, right on the slopes of the Arenal volcano.  One night woke to the sound of rain, thunder, the rumble of the volcano (felt like earthquakes) and howler monkeys.  Neat little town right there (can't recall the name), cheap cafes (called sodas), and hot springs as well

2009-01-16 2:53 PM

Master
I spent some time in Costa Rica and had a blast! Other than I was pick pocketed the first night I was there. Luckily I didn't have my wallet with me and just cash.

I actually went all over the place. We spent time on both coasts, but primarily hung around the capital. The one place we stayed at, just along the beach there were some celebrity homes that were massive. The beaches on the Pacific side were beautiful and the sunsets were awesome. If I had to chose one coast or the other, I would pick the Pacific side.

One of the best things we did was was the rope lines through the rain forest. Had an absolute blast. Nothing will get your adrenaline pumping than flying through the rain forest on a zip line. We also were fortunate enough to go to a US vs Costa Rica soccer match. It is certainly an experience since I've never been to a soccer match outside the US.

Getting a car is great, but I must warn you the roads are not the best, and driving around, no one pays attention to other drivers. The first time I drove there I must have hit a zillion pot holes and almost side swiped every car. One time I got stuck driving around a circle because no one would let me out. I felt like I was Clark Griswald in European Vacation. "Look kids, Big Ben. Parliament."

The country is absolutely beautiful and the people are very nice. If you go you will have a great time.

Edited by nighthawk 2009-01-16 2:55 PM
2009-01-21 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Ive been down twice, 10 days each...my son has been 3 times. For a luxurious, unusual place, but cheap by US standards, "The Peach Lodge" at La Paz Waterfall Gardens. You can stay there on the way up to Arenal, or as we did for the last two nights before flying home. Nice and relaxing after a week of flying between trees, surfing, hiking, driving down rutted dirt roads...Arenal Lodge is great for Volcano viewing. Further south on the Pacific side is Dominical, great surf town south of Jaco. Nice white water rafting season dependent.

By far the best travel, varied wild life (from all of the exotic birds to the wild boar that jumped out while I was running on a trail up a hill from the beach, to Pizotes ( a wild racoon like critter who loves to beg for food) ) nicest people, hidden waterfalls only the Ticos know about (unless you really chat with the locals) etc. Ive been thoughout Mexico, Nicaragua, but Costa Rica is the BEST! Have a great time! (even the "green" (aka rainy) season is good! Just brief showers daily near the coasts, more inland)

BTW, the town down from Arenal is "la fortuna", neat little town, roadside restaurants, shall I say "interesting" after dark around the "square". Nice view of the volcano from the main street.

Definitely get a car, the cheap 4 wheel drive will get you anywhere and everywhere!

Edited by pjgrande 2009-01-21 7:38 PM
2009-01-21 10:15 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Beautiful country. You'll love it wherever you go.  Honeymooned there in 2001 and chose to hop-skip-jump across the country.  San Jose/Arenal/Manuel Antonio/Poas Volcano/Rafting on the Pacuares.  Admittedly did not drive, and based on some of the bridges and roads was happy to sit back an enjoy the scenery.  In hindsight though, driving might have ben a little better as you are free to stop wherever - the cab/bus drivers stop at the places they are paid to stop at.  I look forward to getting back there soon.  Enjoy your trip!
2009-01-22 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

My husband and I eloped together thru Mexico to Costa Rica. We lived (rather attempted to live) in Jaco, very southern, Pacific side, seasonal surf town.  Ended up running out of money 'cause they've well enforced immigration law, back to the states then to Hawaii.

We rented an apartment on the 'local' side of town for ~400 USD for 3 months, all inclusive (no extra utilities).  We walked everywhere, the farmers' market on Fridays was super, town was about 3/4 mile away (dunno though never measured it).  Los Suenos was the nearest "posh" area where deep sea fishing was big $$.  The bus in the area cost $0.80 for us both to ride.  It was a sweet sweet place.  When we go back one day, we'll know that all we really need is $5k to live there very comfortably and do lots of tourist things for 2 + months.

Costa Rica is great, special place in my heart for sure.  Take a mini-calculator for exchange rates 'cause when we were there it was 140 colones to the dollar, don't let just anyone on the street exchange your money, ALWAYS do it in the banco.  The farther from the border one is the better the people are.  Learn as much Spanish as you can, 'cause though many people speak some English, it helps.

Edited by AdaBug 2009-01-22 10:41 AM

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Costa Rica Rss Feed