Myrtle Beach Marathon
56F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 56m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was happy that i woke up in plenty of time. had a cup of coffee and a glass of water at 4:45am, bagel at 5am, left me plenty of time to go to the bathroom before i left the house
Event warmup:

a few glute kicks and high knees and then some stretching; nothing major. by the time we got out of the port a john line, there wasn't much warm up time.
Run
  • 4h 56m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

this was the worst race i have ever had. i had fears that it would turn out bad, i did not think it would be this bad. I thought 4:30 would be a worst case scenario. i have been having ongoing hip problems for a while now. anything over 7-8 miles is problematic. right on cue, the hip starting tweaking at 5-6 and by 7-8 i knew i was going to have problems. to confuse issues, it was the LEFT hip. recently my issues have been the RIGHT hip. that was an interesting observation. another observation is that when i stopped (on a whim) to grab a speed limit sign and cross a leg over my other knee an sit back stretch (don't know what it is called), the pain immediately went a way before returning with a vengence after 1.5 miles. i stopped to stretch again, same result. no pain for another 1.5 miles or so. i repeated this pattern and at mile 14 noticed i was feeling pretty good. our half time was 2:13 and i felt pretty comfortable that i could at least run an even split. i know ryan really wanted to come in under 4:30. things went down hill fast thereafter. the time in which i felt good between stretches started getting smaller and smaller. until it was painful to run 5 minutes straight. i put my interval timer on 5:2 to run: walk and i couldn't even continue that. i finally walked about 1.5 miles straight from 18.5 to 20. that is also about the time it started raining. great. if someone had driven by and offered me a ride at that point, i would have seriously considered taking it. in addition to being in pain, i was embarrassed. i ran my last marathon in 3:58. i never thought i would be at this point right now. we ended up gutting out the next 6.2 miles with the 5:2. there were times when it hurt so bad i just felt like the wind was getting knocked out of me. ryan was also struggling with knee pain. in the end, we crossed the finish line holding hands (it was valentines day after all).

i think i discovered some valuable clues for figuring out this hip thing. for starters, it can be stretched away. i can't imagine if it were a joint issue, that would be possible. another tip that it isn't a joint issue is that it switches hips from time to time. that screams to me of a muscle issue. one is tight for a while, than the other? i don't know, clearly i am not a doctor. also the stretch that helped with it, will lend me some evidence of which muscle is the culprit.
What would you do differently?:

i will never register for a winter marathon again. ever. training in the cold was miserable. IF i do one again, it will be in the fall after tri season.
Post race
Warm down:

i find a hip high post and spent about 15 minutes stretching my hip on it. i felt much better afterward.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hip pain

Event comments:

the race was VERY well volunteered. tons of friendly volunteers at all of the MANY fluid stations. if you finished this race dehydrated, it was your own fault. plenty of port a johns as well. ...i think the event actually started early. that was fine by me.

Last updated: 2009-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
04:56:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
unfornately, my chrono was full and only saved the first 5 miles. 10:18..felt nice and slow. i had no idea what i was in store for 10:06 9:47 12:46...bathroom stop 9:21
Course: FAH-LAT. FLAT FLAT (did i mention flat?) this would have been a GREAT PR course. i might have to do it again when i am healthy (and if i EVER do a marathon again). there are some annoying parts of the course. it heads south for about 6 miles and then comes back north to PASS the finish line for the 1/2 marathon finishers. that kind of sucks a little. then it's north and looping south for the rest of us. you pass through some gorgeous mansions along the ocean, and the townsfolk seemed to be out in force cheering us on. there were several glimpses of the beautiful atlantic with palm trees and everything.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-02-15 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon

2009-02-15 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1962906

User image

Master
Subject: RE: BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon

Lisa,

Glad to hear you made it out safely!!

Sorry to hear that you feel you had a bad race.  Hopefully now you can get this hip thing figured out and get ready for tri season.  That's good news that stretching helps...time to see some yoga maybe??  I have been getting more flexible there and it seems to help.

That's pretty cool you guys got to cross the line together...how romantic!  A marathon for V day...your friends must think you guys are crazy.

Oh and don't say never for the winter marathon...It's a beaut out here in Cali...there's always the vacation marathon!!

Again, congrats on the finish and enjoy a week or so off.

Neil

2009-02-15 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Man, brutal race. At least you finished, which was no small accomplishment.

The next one will be better.

2009-02-15 4:59 PM

User image

Regular

Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your hip. Hope you manage to get to the bottom of what's causing it. Thanks for sharing the report, I learnt a lot from it. You couldn't get more romantic holding hands with your husband going across the finish line!

Happy Valentines!

Grace

2009-02-15 5:23 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Way to gut the finish about.  If nothing else you learned how strong of a person you are in this race!
2009-02-16 11:41 AM

User image

Elite
Still beats a DNF!  I ran this race last year as my first marathon ever.  I agree, long runs in the winter are no fun.  I can deal with the cold, but there just isn't enough daylight.  So many hours in the dark or on the treadmill.  Gross.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon Rss Feed