General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nimbus with orthotics, other model/brand suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-20 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Nimbus with orthotics, other model/brand suggestions?

I've been running in Asics Nimbus for years.  I'm a heavier runner (muscular 6'0 215pds) and an underpronator which my local running store said made the Nimbus a good choice.  In fact I had my running "gait" analyzed way back when and they concurred.

However a year and change ago I got full custom orthotics made due to some foot issues I was having and they said I really should be wearing X brand/model (can't recall what they suggested) because the Nimbus being a cushioned style shoe I wasn't getting the full advantage or use of the orthotics.

What are good shoes for heavier folks who underpronate and wear orthotics?  That sounds funny as I type it but there has to be others out there right????

2009-02-20 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1973502

User image

Regular
Maple Ridge
Subject: RE: Nimbus with orthotics, other model/brand suggestions?
New Balance has always been my go-to shoe to fit my orthotics and find the right fit for my overpronating.
2009-02-20 3:37 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama

For the underponator, I'm not sure. I'd stick with what the pedorthist recommended and give it a shot. It's going to be terrible at first, but you'll come around.

I'm the opposite - overpronate (BAD). I'm in Brooks and I see a 100% difference in what I used to wear. Amazing what happens when you get a shoe measured for your foot, custom insoles, and gait.

It now hurts b/c I've been running wrong for so long and am actually running correct. Over time it'll come around, and hopefully keep me off of the injury list!

2009-02-20 3:50 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Mike-

It is important to know whether the orthotics now make you a more neutral runner.  I am a natural over pronator and used to wear Saucony Grid Stabil's but my orthotics neutralize my pronation and now I am a neutral runner.  I wear Saucony progrid Triumph's now and love them.

You should really ask someone at a reputable LRS to analyze your gait now with your orthotics.  My LRS let me put my orthotic into shoes they recommended for a neutral runner. You can let them know your concerns, ie cushioning, how many miles you train....they will watch you walk, some places even have a treadmill you can run on.  It is well worth it and even if the shoes are $20 more there, it will pay off in dividends to be comfortable and efficient in your running.

Good luck!

2009-02-20 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1973631

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
kt65 - 2009-02-20 4:50 PM

Mike-

It is important to know whether the orthotics now make you a more neutral runner.  I am a natural over pronator and used to wear Saucony Grid Stabil's but my orthotics neutralize my pronation and now I am a neutral runner.  I wear Saucony progrid Triumph's now and love them.

You should really ask someone at a reputable LRS to analyze your gait now with your orthotics.  My LRS let me put my orthotic into shoes they recommended for a neutral runner. You can let them know your concerns, ie cushioning, how many miles you train....they will watch you walk, some places even have a treadmill you can run on.  It is well worth it and even if the shoes are $20 more there, it will pay off in dividends to be comfortable and efficient in your running.

Good luck!

I think that was what they were saying was wrong with continuing with Nimbus, that perhaps I was now a more neutral striker.  However I still think part of the issue was the cushioned shoe vs a stability shoe.

Once the lab that built my orthotics starts answering their phones again I'll get the answer to my question.....

Thanks for the tips!

2009-02-20 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1973658

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
TriMike - 2009-02-20 4:01 PM

I think that was what they were saying was wrong with continuing with Nimbus, that perhaps I was now a more neutral striker.  However I still think part of the issue was the cushioned shoe vs a stability shoe.

Once the lab that built my orthotics starts answering their phones again I'll get the answer to my question.....

Thanks for the tips!

I'm a little confused by your first comment above. The Nimbus IS a neutral shoe (of course you knew that way back when you first started wearing it for your underpronation problem). So how/why would being "a more neutral striker" with the orthotics make wearing the Nimbus a bad idea now? Does the running store now think you should be in a stability shoe instead of the Nimbus? Or did I miss something in translation somewhere?

2009-02-20 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1973741

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
nscrbug - 2009-02-20 6:03 PM
TriMike - 2009-02-20 4:01 PM I think that was what they were saying was wrong with continuing with Nimbus, that perhaps I was now a more neutral striker.  However I still think part of the issue was the cushioned shoe vs a stability shoe.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm a little confused by your first comment above. The Nimbus IS a neutral shoe (of course you knew that way back when you first started wearing it for your underpronation problem). So how/why would being "a more neutral striker" with the orthotics make wearing the Nimbus a bad idea now? Does the running store now think you should be in a stability shoe instead of the Nimbus? Or did I miss something in translation somewhere?

The orthotics lab is the place saying I should try a different shoe than the Nimbus.  I've worn that shoe for so long I can't now recall if it's because of the cushioning or that it was for under pronating.  And I actually didn't know it was considered a neutral shoe.

The jist of what I remember them saying was that the nimbus wasn't allowing me to take full advantage of the orthotics which may mean that they wanted me in a stability shoe?

Like I said, I weigh between 215-220 pounds depending on time of the year so cushioning is important...

2009-02-20 7:19 PM

Champion
South Jersey
I have custom orthotics and run in Nimbuses just fine (in fact, they're the only shoe I can run in). My podiatrist is supportive of my Nimbus wearing.
2009-02-24 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Finally heard back from my Orthotics lab.  They said for a suppinator (under pronator) who needs a cushioned shoe AND wears orthotics, the best shoe out there is the Saucony Echelon.  Apparently there is lateral support built into the arch wall of the shoe.  Or something along those lines, I really can't remember what the sales guy said....

Picked a pair up last night and will hopefully run on them tonight. 

2009-02-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1978963

User image

Giver

So I'm no doctor...but...is your podiatrist a runner, familiar with treating runner's issues?

I'm having a hard time imagining an orthotic that would make a classic underpronator a neutral runner. Since underpronation is usually caused by a high arch and/or an inflexible foot, it doesn't seem logical that anything you put *under* your foot is going to cause your arch to collapse the way a neutral runner does. Orthotics are classically prescribed for overpronators to discourage those mechanics.

In your first post, it seems like the orthotics were prescribed for a condition unrelated to pronation issues. And, definitely if that's true, you're still going to need to compensate for your underpronation with a lot of cushioning. And by going to a neutral show with some kind of medial posting, it seems like you're going to cause yourself a literal world of hurt by not allowing your foot to pronate as much as it possibly can. 

2009-02-24 10:54 AM

Extreme Veteran

I agree with run4yerlif on this one. I have the exact same problem and wear orthotics. I have tried the new balance shoes recommended by my podiatrist and the sucked. You need a shoe that will allow your foot to roll. If you go to the motion control and medial posting you will just run on the outside of your foot. I am 6'1 222 pounds and have been running in the Mizuno Wave Creation for the last 2 years. This is the perfect shoe for me. You should give it a try. It is designed specifically for Supinators.

chevy57

2009-02-24 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1979077

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
run4yrlif - 2009-02-24 11:30 AM

So I'm no doctor...but...is your podiatrist a runner, familiar with treating runner's issues?

I'm having a hard time imagining an orthotic that would make a classic underpronator a neutral runner. Since underpronation is usually caused by a high arch and/or an inflexible foot, it doesn't seem logical that anything you put *under* your foot is going to cause your arch to collapse the way a neutral runner does. Orthotics are classically prescribed for overpronators to discourage those mechanics.

In your first post, it seems like the orthotics were prescribed for a condition unrelated to pronation issues. And, definitely if that's true, you're still going to need to compensate for your underpronation with a lot of cushioning. And by going to a neutral show with some kind of medial posting, it seems like you're going to cause yourself a literal world of hurt by not allowing your foot to pronate as much as it possibly can. 

You may not be a Dr. but you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject.    To answer your question, I'm not working with a Podiatrist, I started the process with my regular Doc who's an ACSM certified sports doc.  He referred me to a Pedorthist who is a competitive triathlete and runner himself.

I'm probably guilty of throwing out terms I'm not completely familiar with.  The Pedorthist said I'm a "supinator" while I've called myself an "under prontator."  I thought they were the same and maybe they are however as I throw these terms out and explain the shoes I'm told should be the best for me, obviously knowledgeable people on the subject think something is amiss.

All I can say is before getting the orthotics I was having some real foot problems that I thought might stop me from running.  Now I'm feeling great after 16-18  months of using them so unless the new shoes go haywire, I have to trust that they know what they're doing and I'm just confusing things in my posts......

2009-02-24 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
I wear full foot orthotics for numerous issues, including mild over-pronation. My PT recommends a neutral shoe (+ take out the foot bed) so the orthotic does all the work. Biggest problem for me has been finding a shoe with enough width to accomodate the orthotic.  My best success has been with Mizuno Wave Creation (older models < 7, but the last is the same in newer models, so you may like them), NB 903 (mild posting, not real cushy), NB 826, Brooks Glycerin 6 (Brooks is very model-specific - most are too narrow), and the Newton Gravity.  I've used the Asics Nimbus, but they're too spongy for my liking. Ditto Mizuno Wave Rider. Have yet to find a Saucony or Adidas model wide enough.
Hope that is of some help. Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nimbus with orthotics, other model/brand suggestions? Rss Feed