Multisport Race Management and Consulting
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 34s
Overall Rank = 236/330
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:45 and went down to the hotel breakfast area. Ate bannana, and oatmeal. Loaded up and headed to the race with the family about 6:45. Got there and went to transistion and racked my bike. Since this is my first race ever I was already excited. I looked around and just sort of did what others had done in the bike set up area. I didnt see many with thier shoes already clipped in but I had planned on having mine clipped in and jumping on. I wore my Garmin 305 but planned on not looking at it during the race. Just wnated it for records. I planned on keepping the first race simple.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and light jogging for about 5 minutes. It was chilly out but I was ok.
Run
  • 17m 40s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I had planned to go moderate and see how my calf held up. Hoping to average 9m/mile. I ended up just going with the crowd and was feeling pretty good. I ended up doing my first mile at 8:15. Right after that my calf started to hurt so I backed it off. Good thing because that is too fast for me right now. I ended at ave 8:50/ miles.
What would you do differently?:

Know my pace a little better. I started of a little fast for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Once in T1 I walked to my bike. Didnt want to but needed to catch my breath a little so I could have a good bike mount. Slipped my shoes off, while clicking in my helmit and unracked my bike and jogged to the mount line. I passed 2 people on the way there that were in bike shoes. Nice enough there were about 5 people that stopped right after the line to get on thier bikes so there was a little traffic jam. I moved past them ran and jumped on and started peddling. Slipped my feet in my shoes and was all good.

Run to the bike. I bet I could have save 30 seconds. I was 7/20 for my AG in T1.
Bike
  • 55m 24s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off pretty well. First think I noticed was my mph computer was not working. I had cadence but no speed. I really missed that because that usully helps push me to go faster. I started to get my shoes on and should have gotten more speed built up. Heading out to the course is a decent uphill and I wasnt going to fast to start with so I was slow up that hill. I had never raced so I was trying to be the nice rookie racer. I would get passed an slow a bit to let them pass. Then as I slowed more would pass and I would lose alot of momentum. This went of for about the first 3 miles of the course. I was getting mad at myself and said quit being a sissy and finally just picked up the pace. Even thought it was pretty flat there were small slopes up and down. I found that I do better going down hill than up hill vs the others around me. A few would pass me up hill then I would pass them plus a couple more going down hill.

Start off at a faster pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I slipped my feet out and rode with them on top of my shoes for the last minute. As I got the the dismount line I swung one leg over slowed a bit and jumped off running. Racked the bike, off with the helmit and slipped the running shoes on. I took a little bit of time and stretched the calfs before the run.

Nothing it went smooth. Not hve to stretch the calf would haev been faster.
Run
  • 20m 31s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I was going to be pretty slow on this run. I didnt try and push it and totally blow up my calf. I really felt like I was going at a 15 minute pace but I did take a peak at my garming and it said just over 10 so i was ok with that.

Train more, isnt that always the truth?
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water ate a nanner and had the family congrats me on finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nagging calf issues for the past 2-3 months.

Event comments:

For my first race ever I had a great time. I am really starting to like the bike and have a new found drive to get alot better at it. I hate getting passed. It was great to have my boys out there cheering me on, they are great. At 210lbs for my first race I definatly want to drop some of that for my next one.

Last updated: 2009-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:40 | 02 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/20
Overall: 255/330
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:55:24 | 16 miles | 17.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 206/330
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:31 | 02 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/20
Overall: 280/330
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-02-23 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Subject: Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon

2009-02-23 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1977015

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon
I have heard that the course was short but my Garmin said 1.97 miles for both run portions. Maybe other can confirm.
2009-02-23 10:59 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Sounds like you had a great race....congrats!!
2009-02-23 9:17 PM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN
WOw your running pace kills mine right now!!!  I can hardly imagine running that pace.  Keep up the good work man!!!!
2009-02-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1978303

User image

Champion
the colony texas
congrats on your first of many races
2009-03-03 11:17 PM

New user

McKinney, TX
I'll make my first post to the forum, on your race entry. Nice job, man. You've inspired me. I'll register for the July 5th sprint and get to training. I'll be tapping your brain for the next few weeks. Again, great job.

2009-03-11 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1977027

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
My 305 shows 2.01 for both. Who knows.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon Rss Feed