General Discussion Race Reports! » Oceania & Australian Long Course Triathlon Champio Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oceania & Australian Long Course Triathlon Champio - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huskisson, New South Wales
Australia
Elite Energy
26C / 79F
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 21m 35s
Overall Rank = 641/781
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 26/30
Pre-race routine:

I flew into Sydney on Thurs, my friend picked me up from the airport and we drove south to Huskisson, first time to NSW, was completely surprised wit the scenery was not waht I was expecting at all on the drive down. Loved the drive down it was pretty magnificent! considering Husky is only 2/5hours south of Sydney its still pretty pristine and untouched! amazing national park area. Its almost like you've stepped back into the 80's in the town itself.

spent a few days in and around Husky, watching the pre race events the day before and the massive set up. Very slickly run race. We registerd and racked the bikes the day before and my nerves started building in a big way. Haven't been nervous before ar ace for a long time. not even Ironman made me nervous this year.
Event warmup:

got up before the sun was up stumbled around the holiday house we were staying in, pulled the crumpets out of the bag to put in the toaster only to discover they were mouldy! NOOOOO! Its damn humid over this side of the country but hey mouldy 2 day old crumpets is not on. luckily someone else in the house also had crumpets so I had some of theirs for breakie.

then we wandered down to the race start in the dark. Its fabulous doing a race where you can walk to the rase site! we crossed a road and nearly had a heart attack when we came face to face with skippy the bush kangaroo. he looked at us we looked at him and then just both went on our merry ways.

I set up all my gear and milled around with all the other WA bodies who'd travelled over for the race. I had AGES to wait after the race briefing as I was in the 3rd last wave. BIG gaps between the wave meant I was actually starting 45mins after the first wave left. Not much fun when you are worried you might actually come last over all when you are starting in the later waves.

It was a pretty magic morning milling around on the beach, Huskisson is just beautiful
Swim
  • 35m 52s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was pretty nervous before I started but once I'd turned the arms over a few times I settled adown and just started swimming. I'm a bit disappointed with the swim, no real incidents I just wasn't that smart, one of the guys I swim with in squad and generally swim in front off came out of the water 2.5mins in front of me. I should have swum faster, don't think I put enough effort into the swim.

the sun was coming up as we were headig out to the first turn buoy. luckily by my wave they had put a big boat behind the buoy so we could sight off the boat as you could not see the buoy with the sun.
halfway out to that first turn buoy the jellys started accumulating. Not stingers just annoying slimy masses of clear jellyfish. it was horrible.

was very glad to get back to the beach
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, put more effort into racing in the swim and perhaps not be so blaze about swim training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

There was a long run up 53 steps to get to transitions, it was wet and muddy by the time I got there I managed to stack it going up the stairs. how embarassing.

had a bit of a moment to collect myself when I was back at my bike. so turned it into a bit of a slow transition, but I had my nutrition and helmets.

concentrate
Bike
  • 2h 43m 49s
  • 83 kms
  • 30.40 km/hr
Comments:

this was tough! I'm very spoilt with Busselton smooth as a baby's bum roads. this road was rough as guts and I felt every bump. The roads were just so rough you could not get any momentum and had to fight the road the entire time.

I hated the first lap and really struggled to find any kind of pace. I just seemed to be out of sync or something. I finally settled down and got a good pace going on the second lap and by the third I seemed to have sped up and woken up.

I once again had horrible nutrition problems, I'd switched to gu's which worked in training but out on the bike I had the awesome projectile vomiting thing happening again unfortunately I coudln't time it this time to actually upchuck on all the cheating bloody drafters.

I knew the gu's weren't working for me but I did try another 2 on the bike to try and get a little nurtition into me. that didn't work so I stuck to just sucking down the heed and water.

One big big downside to this awesome race was the Blatant Cheats, drafting trains that kept flying past or sucking past. I got caught up with a group of girls who were blatantly drafting so much so that they all knew each others names and were calling each other out to take turns on the front.

they flew past me but suddenly stopped going up a hill, so I had dropped off the pack but when we got to the hill I had to pass them as they were going so slowly. unfortuantely they were 2 abreast and it was tough passing them without crossing the double white lines.

I managed to pass them and floored it for a bit to get free, but as they were drafting and owrking together about 10mins later they were back there and I got sucked up in their stupid cheating group again. I tried 3 or 4 breaks to get on the front and out of their zone, but s they were working together they kept catching back up.

I then tried to drop off the back and just let them go, which really isn't fair either, but tehy were a real surgy bunch with lots of speed changes I couldn't quite manage to drop off the back.

It was super frustrating and there was another guy caught in the same situation as me. I decided to give it one more go to pass them, I knew one of the big hills was coming up. so I floored it going up the hill. I also gave the ma big spray about cheats and drafting. I did managed to get past them and hold them off for quite a while. but just before the last 5ks into transition they past again, this time I did drop off the back and just hoped that the TO's would see them.

this race was just train after train of drafting and I only saw 2 to's on bikes. none of them seemed to do anything about the damn obvious drafting.

Not sure how I'd avoid the drafting but probably try and not get so annoyed at them. it was hard not to get frustrated as they were all over the road and just CHEATS!

More bike training! it was a tough course with undulating hills and dead rough roads,
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Had a great transition, flew in chucked on the socks tied my laces, swapped the ride nutrition for run nutrition and off I trotted.

not much
Run
  • 1h 57m 20s
  • 20 kms
  • 05m 52s  min/km
Comments:

I was so glad to get off the rattly bike roads and onto the run, I actually really enjoyed the run. I've never enjoyed a run before. I knew in the back of my mind I was running on undertrained legs but I trotted off and though just do the best you can.

I knew the gels were not working for me but thought I'd try one morej ust to make sure. sure enough a few mins later I revisited the gel and gave up on them for the rest of the race. decided coke had a lot of sugar and thought hey why not start coke a little earlier thne you'd planned to.

thank god the coke stayed down and I could get a little sugar, had heed for elctrolytes and knew I could get by with that.

I felt pretty comfortable running even though ti was very humid, it was a beautiful run and I could tell that there was actually a fair amount of people behimd me! which is not something that happens to me very often.

at the finish of my first lap I made teh mistake of looking at the finish line clock and being incredibly disappointed to see 5 hours looking back at me. It was only 3 k's later that it dawned on me that was the start gun time from the elite guys! duh, so I checked my own watch and realised that yes I woudl be able to comfortably break the 6 hour mark.

I started then to think about what time I would actually like for the race (probably something I should have done before the race started hehe!) I figured my last half Ironman time was 5.45 so if I beat that I would be happy.

I knew at the last turn around when I had 5k to go that I would break the time and I was damn happy with myself.

I think I even lifted the pace slightly on my way back to the finish line. when I crossed that finish line with 5hrs 21 on the clock I was damn happy!

Run pb time for me for 20ks! don't think I've ever broken the 6min/k mark over that distance!

More run training
Post race
Warm down:

I was a little lost at the finish, the rest of the group had already disappeared so I was just wandering a little aimlessly by myself. once i'd downed a few drinks and found myself I was happy enough wandering around looking at stuff. I packed up my gear and sat on the sidelines to wait for my friend, she'd had a shocker of a bike with a flat and her saddle wasn't put back together properly, so she came in wit hteh sag wagon. I sat down on the sidelines and watched/cheered folks on talking to the boy on the phone about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

doing an Ironman tearing my calf in dec, lack of proper training and getting a shocker of a gastro bug which knocked me out for 2 weeks.
all in all I think I did pretty well. this was tougher then the busso half even though its different distances i'm pretty happy with my time!

Event comments:

this is a qualifying race for the World Champs in Perth in Oct, I really want to qualify, I came 26th in my age group which would normalyl mean 5 points towards qualifying but it was Aust champs and a double points race. so I ahve 10 points. Now have to make the decision on whether I can afford/need to go to Murray Man in Adelaide or just do Busso Half to try to get more poitns.

Absolutely fabulous race! beautiful part of the country and such a well run event!

Last updated: 2009-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:52 | 2000 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/30
Overall: 383/781
Performance:
Suit: long sleeved wetsuit
Course: 1 lap triangle course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:43:49 | 83 kms | 30.40 km/hr
Age Group: 21/30
Overall: 620/781
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 lap loop course through amazing bush
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:57:20 | 20 kms | 05m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 26/30
Overall: 148/781
Performance: Good
Course: 2 lap out and back course along the beautiful Husky foreshore
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-02-24 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Oceania & Australian Long Course Triathlon Champio

2009-02-25 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1980491

Perth
Subject: RE: Oceania & Australian Long Course Triathlon Champio

Hi Mel,  great race, well done, just love reading about people spewing up, great way to start the day...

Good luck with your qualification!

2009-02-26 12:14 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Hey Mel! Well done on a great race. Its a shame about the blatant cheaters on the bike course. I'm sorry to hear the nutrition on the bike didn't work too well! It must be yucky having to spew whilst riding. It looks like you had a fantastic run. How many points do you need to qualify for world champs? Good luck with it all!
2009-02-26 3:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Loved the report! Congrats on the 10m points, it's a great effort, considering the troubles you had. You've got to find another nutrition plan me thinks!

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the qualifying season pans out.

2009-02-26 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Great race!  There must have been a lot of fast people at the race.  Congrats on the run.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oceania & Australian Long Course Triathlon Champio Rss Feed