Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » swim 2k, bike90k,run 21k in Peterborough???????????? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-28 6:23 PM

New user

Subject: swim 2k, bike90k,run 21k in Peterborough????????????
Heres my question and I ask it at the risk of having alot of people shake their heads at me but I can't see you anyway,So here it goes,, is July 5th too close of a time frame to try this type of distance never having done a TRi before?????, i come from a swimming back ground and would say I am in OK shape. I have told my self I would do one before I was 30,,,,well I am 30 and turning 31 on July 7th and thought this would be a pretty good present for myself if it dont kill me. Just wondering if I am crazy or can it be done in a few months of good traing if I am not starting from complete scratch. Thanks Pete

2009-02-28 6:45 PM
in reply to: #1988272

Toronto
Subject: RE: swim 2k, bike90k,run 21k in Peterborough????????????
Go for it! If you can swim you don't have anything to worry about...Well, I wont say nothing to worry about, but the bike can coast and you can walk on the run if you need to, my fear is always gettin out of the water. But chances are if you are a good swimmer and you want to do a 1/2 distance then go for it! Only you can limit yourself. I did the Muskoka 1/2 IM last year and it was painfull, I ate horribly and drank all summer...i wasn't prepared...but still finished. It was also a goal I had set for myself so I was going to do it regardless...I still have nightmares of the 'mountainlike' Muskoka hills! I'm not sure what kind of training you are doing, but I am a beginner myself and I am doing the '20 weeks to 1/2 ironman' program for beginners (which is on this site) I started it 2 weeks ago, so the 20 weeks will take me up to Peterborough. Good Luck!
2009-03-02 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
Yes, it can certainly be done, although you would have more fun and be more likely to avoid injuries if you did sprints and Olys first for a year or 2.
2009-03-02 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1991147

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

DaveH - 2009-03-02 9:58 AM Yes, it can certainly be done, although you would have more fun and be more likely to avoid injuries if you did sprints and Olys first for a year or 2.

x2.  I've never tri'ed before either but I have done four marathons and i am used to a heavy training load.  I am starting out with a super sprint - mostly because of the swim but you're ahead in that discipline - though OWS is pretty different.  I think you'd definitely enjoy it more by doing shorter distances - it's a lot to take on in terms of training. Take a peek through some of the training programs on this site and see if you feel like you could take it on.

for sure you'd be able to get through but I prefer to see people (including myself) do manageable amounts so they keep on with hobbies like tri.  

Edited by juniperjen 2009-03-02 2:46 PM
2009-04-16 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1992163

Master
Kitchener
juniperjen - 2009-03-02 3:43 PM

DaveH - 2009-03-02 9:58 AM Yes, it can certainly be done, although you would have more fun and be more likely to avoid injuries if you did sprints and Olys first for a year or 2.

x2.  I've never tri'ed before either but I have done four marathons and i am used to a heavy training load.  I am starting out with a super sprint - mostly because of the swim but you're ahead in that discipline - though OWS is pretty different.  I think you'd definitely enjoy it more by doing shorter distances - it's a lot to take on in terms of training. Take a peek through some of the training programs on this site and see if you feel like you could take it on.

for sure you'd be able to get through but I prefer to see people (including myself) do manageable amounts so they keep on with hobbies like tri.  

x3.    BTW, there is no way the bike will be coasting on that route.   It IS fun but VERY hilly and challenging.   
2009-04-17 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Kingsville
If you do it, you will truly be an ironman.. go for it brother

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » swim 2k, bike90k,run 21k in Peterborough???????????? Rss Feed