XTERRA
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 54m 52s
Overall Rank = 116/489
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/57
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 am....the usual when you live where I do and have to drive at least an hour to EVERY race. Breakfest was eggbeaters, toast, and a glass of water. Also had the requisite 3-4 cups of coffee. Yep I'm a junkie. Loaded my stuff and left for the 1 1/2 hour drive to the race.
Event warmup:

Warm-up consisted of running through the downpour of rain to get my packet (and awesome t-shirt)....back to the car to drop off the excess crap, then back to the registration area to find a toilet....yep it was one of those mornings.
Run
  • 1h 54m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The race started on a grass field and the first 1/2 mile or so was on an open power line. At the start I worked hard to get as close to the front as possible before we turned int the woodline. Once we turned ito the woods passing was difficult. I continued to steadily pass people for the first 3 miles or so. Around mile 4 I realized I was moving entirely too fast. My HR was around 165. At this rate I would bonk. So I slowed down considerable. Around mile 7 it seemed most of the race seeding was set, and the grind began. The course was muddy and slick however my PI trail shoes woorked wonderfully. I only slipped a few times, even on the worse sections. The shoes also drained well as much of the course was in ankle deep water. One of the things that grated on my nerves were several runners during the race comming up behind me and shouting "on your left" expecting me to move right and let them pass. Did they not realize this was a race? Did they think that I was actually going to risk twisting an ankle by jumping out of the was so they could pass? If you came up behind a guy that refused to give way and you actually had to work to pass....good chance it was me. Around mile 10 a guy in font of me failed to duck low enough for a low hanging branch and it caught him right on the forehead. Gave him a nasty gash over his eye. I stopped with him for a bit to make sure he was ok, and then we were on our way. I t was a pretty tough course with more hills than I had anticipated. The rain wasn't too much of an issue. It was a good race.
What would you do differently?:

I felt like I was well prepared for this race. I've been training hard and good percentage of my training up to this point has consisted of trail runs. Since I had never ran this course before I had established an estimated finish goal of 1:50:00. Although I fell short of that goal I can't help but be happy with my finish time. Especially when I saw the race results and the names of the other racers in my AG. Very talented field of racers, many of which I finished well ahead of.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited at the finish line for my fellow ranger buddies to finish. We had a pretty good showing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think everybody was a little slower due to the conditions. So nothing.

Event comments:

Great race and well organized. I may do the Dirty Spokes Xterra 10K next Saturday!

Last updated: 2009-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:52 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/57
Overall: 116/489
Performance: Good
151 ave HR
Course: Single loop course consisting of a little of everything. Rolling hills, steep climbs, double nd single track, lots of rain, water, and plenty of mud.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-01 9:25 PM

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: Thrill in the Hills

2009-03-01 10:37 PM
in reply to: #1990587

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Thrill in the Hills
Great job out there, David!  Glad you were able to manage without slip-sliding too much.  Sounds like a blast with all that mud, though .
2009-03-02 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1990587

Pro
AZ
That race sounds awesome!!!  Looks like you had a good strategy throughout!  Way to make the passers earn it! Nice time too!
2009-03-04 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1991645

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Nice run as usual.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Thrill in the Hills Rss Feed