Other Resources My Cup of Joe » U.S. Busines leaving the U.S. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-12 10:32 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: U.S. Busines leaving the U.S.

Two thoughts one is the lead to the thread U.S. Energy companies leaving the U.S. here is the link to the story

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssEnergyNews/idUSL312427120090312?feedType=RSS&feedName=rbssEnergyNews&rpc=22

The point is U.S. energy companies are leaving to find lower tax rates in other countries I find it odd that this was not expected after all what is the purpose of a business?  Answer to make money or more to the point a profit.  And what is a TAX?  Well it is an expense. When the tax is placed on a business then it is also impediment to making a profit, so the business executives need to find a way to reduce or eliminate the burden of the tax.  Business only have a few ways of doing this 1. they can pass the cost on to the consumer, 2. they can become more efficient, normally thru cutting the workforce, 3 they can close, and 4 they can relocate to a more business friendly location.  Faced with this reality why are we surprised by the layoffs, and now relocations?  I guess because we Americans have become so envious of the wealthy we cheer when a politician presents plans to punish the rich, make them pay their fair share, or level the playing field.  We just don’t get it anymore.   People risk their money in the hope of turning a profit,  if they succeed they can then create jobs and prosperity for many, if they fail then the jobs and prosperity are not created in the first place.  Even worse than failure we create a environment that causes profitable business to become un-profitable then we destroy wealth, prosperity, and jobs.

As a second note I have seen several new threads about taxes and fee’s a Bike registration fee, Sales tax on various products, and a tax on health club memberships.  Most of the responses have been negative toward the taxes and fees I believe this is good; perhaps more of us are staring to get it. Government will seek revenue in any manner it can to satisfy the desires of the population if they can no longer tax the rich then they will apply fees to the many.  The big question is how long can or will we sustain the  populations desire for big social programs when the average person begins to feel the bite of the tax burden?

2009-03-12 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2013204

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: U.S. Busines leaving the U.S.
The same oil companies that made record profits last year? They are just trying to dodge responsibility for price gouging and windfall profit taking at the expense of the consumer. when it looks like an administration who is not in bed with them comes into power, they scatter like roaches in the light.
2009-03-12 10:52 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Cliff - I think you forgot the sarc font
2009-03-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2013240

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-03-12 10:43 AM The same oil companies that made record profits last year? They are just trying to dodge responsibility for price gouging and windfall profit taking at the expense of the consumer. when it looks like an administration who is not in bed with them comes into power, they scatter like roaches in the light.

I am referring the oil companies that hire and pay well above average wages to Tens of thousands of people.  These employees receive outstanding retirement and medical benefit packages and other fringe benefits (I know because I used to work for one) the same oil companies whose profits made the backbone of millions of Americans 401K’s 403b’s and other retirement funds. The oil companies that provide the energy needs to 300 million Americans but are not allowed to expand production in the U.S. Those are the Oil companies I am referring to.  As far as price gouging what in the world are you talking about?  These companies’s do not set world oil price supply, demand and market speculation sets oil price.  Or perhaps you are referring togas prices well no gouging there the price at the pump is a direct reflection of the limited supply of gasoline do to limited refining capacity and the increased demand for gas.  If you believe the price is too high as I do perhaps you should join me in demanding our government allow increased refining capacity so we will have more fuel at lower prices. 

As to the sarcasm font I did not use it as I am not being sarcastic I did think more of us were starting to get it.

2009-03-12 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2013458

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
CBarnes - 2009-03-12 11:39 AM

As to the sarcasm font I did not use it as I am not being sarcastic I did think more of us were starting to get it.

Just giving you a hard time, buddy! That's it.
2009-03-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2013458

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-03-12 10:43 AM The same oil companies that made record profits last year? They are just trying to dodge responsibility for price gouging and windfall profit taking at the expense of the consumer. when it looks like an administration who is not in bed with them comes into power, they scatter like roaches in the light.

I am referring the oil companies that hire and pay well above average wages to Tens of thousands of people.  These employees receive outstanding retirement and medical benefit packages and other fringe benefits (I know because I used to work for one) the same oil companies whose profits made the backbone of millions of Americans 401K’s 403b’s and other retirement funds. The oil companies that provide the energy needs to 300 million Americans but are not allowed to expand production in the U.S. Those are the Oil companies I am referring to.  As far as price gouging what in the world are you talking about?  These companies’s do not set world oil price supply, demand and market speculation sets oil price.  Or perhaps you are referring togas prices well no gouging there the price at the pump is a direct reflection of the limited supply of gasoline do to limited refining capacity and the increased demand for gas.  If you believe the price is too high as I do perhaps you should join me in demanding our government allow increased refining capacity so we will have more fuel at lower prices. 

All of which actually bolsters my case that they think of NOTHING beyond profit, profit at all costs as it were. Taxes did not cause the market collapse, greed did. After all the greatest expense in any business is employees.

2009-03-12 1:55 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

How about if you are an American based company that goes overseas to avoid taxes, you cannot provide your service or sell your goods inside the USA.

2009-03-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2013877

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Big Sexy - 2009-03-12 1:55 PM

How about if you are an American based company that goes overseas to avoid taxes, you cannot provide your service or sell your goods inside the USA.

And if they don't who will?  Perhaps I was wrong in my belief perhaps we understand what is happening JOBS are leaving business is moving and we will have less and less to buy and make.  Why be an American based company when all America wants to do is punish you for succeeding and find newer and newer ways to tax your profit.
As far as Greed yes greed caused the market to tank and the economy to decline but it is not all or even mostly corporate greed.  What about the politicians who wrote the regulations forcing Banks to loan to poor risk people, what about the poor risk people who over extended them selves for more home then they could afford? What about the politicians who did not listen to the regulators who warned about the housing failure 4 years in advance?  Yes greed the greed of the few like Madoff and the greed of the many that demand the rich pay for everyone’s wants.

2009-03-12 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2013974

User image

Expert
Parker, Co

I'll kick in here...I have a friend in the business....current plans call for removal of several tax exemptions that make drilling viable...his response...shut in..not produce and lay off the folks he subs out to.....adding to jobless figures etc....and he is a small operator.

Also - if we are to reduce reliance on foreign oil - per the new regime - isnt it counter productive to make it harder on the domestic oil producers? - where will you get your oil?

And before the "renewable " word gets thrown in - lets debate rationally - it will take decades for a new source to replace what we consume in fossil fuels today...

2009-03-12 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2014210

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Didn't you get the "We'll all be driving electric cars" memo? Maybe those oil rig workers can retool to build solar panels, windmills or powerlines.

Bcozican - 2009-03-12 3:32 PM

I'll kick in here...I have a friend in the business....current plans call for removal of several tax exemptions that make drilling viable...his response...shut in..not produce and lay off the folks he subs out to.....adding to jobless figures etc....and he is a small operator.

Also - if we are to reduce reliance on foreign oil - per the new regime - isnt it counter productive to make it harder on the domestic oil producers? - where will you get your oil?

And before the "renewable " word gets thrown in - lets debate rationally - it will take decades for a new source to replace what we consume in fossil fuels today...

2009-03-12 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2014210

User image

Houston
Bcozican - 2009-03-12 3:32 PM

We're always going to have to import the majority of our oil regardless of how much we ramp up our production. Our supply vs demand doesn't allow for us to make more than a marginal dent on our imports. (We currently produce 7.5M bbl/day and use about 21M bbl/day)

I don't really think a few oil companies leaving is going to have any effect on our domestic oil production either. Oil prices will return to what they once were and there will be little issue to find companies to bid on any new drilling that may occur.

2009-03-12 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2014313

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-03-12 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2013524

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-03-12 9:56 AM

All of which actually bolsters my case that they think of NOTHING beyond profit, profit at all costs as it were. Taxes did not cause the market collapse, greed did. After all the greatest expense in any business is employees.

Seeing as how we continue to use more oil every year, wouldn't it make sense that they continue to make a larger profit. Say for example if they make $1 off each barrel of oil, if we use more oil, they make larger profits. Its like saying the government is taxing everyone more just because GDP went up so they collected a larger number of dollers.

By the way, I love the way you managed to connect the oil industry to the economic collapse, as if their greed managed to cause the market to crash.

2009-03-12 9:41 PM

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-03-12 12:56 PM

When you are talking about record profits for the oil companies though (some probably have Exxon in mind) ... you are looking at the WRONG numbers.

Sure, their profit was something like 10 Billion ... but their profit margin was razor thin....

The total profit number is just so high because they are such a huge company and hace so much volume ... but the actual profit margin for these oil companies are slimmer than almost any other business out there.

Fred's Hardware chain - has 100 stores acorss the USA, they spent 1 million dollars on inventory last year, their revenues were 3 million, their operating and other expenses were 1 million, so net profits were 2 million dollars.  Their profit margin was  50%.  No one is going to scream about a company making 2 million dollars.

Exxon refines and sells billions and billions of gallons of gas.  Their revenues were 50 Billion dollars, but their operating and other expenses were 40 Billion dollars, so net profit is 10 Billion and a 20% profit margin.

So their profit margin is more than half of what the hardware store was ... but everyone screams about the "gouging" and large sums of profit that Exxon makes .... but on a cost to revenue percentage ... they are making way less money.

People only hear the net profit amount and don't think about the other numbers in the equation ... and just assume that the oil company is making a killing and gouging everyone.

And like the OP stated ... why don't we want American companies to make a decent profit?  Most people's 401k's, IRA, and Mutual Funds are full of these types of stocks ... so if these companies and their stocks do well ... so do the retirement funds and investment funds of a lot of Americans.

Plus, we are all complaining about sales tax, bike tax, etc ... if we can keep successful American companies here and doing business ... they pay a lot of taxes and a good chunk of the Government revenue comes fro these companies.

But, like the OP stated, we need to be careful we don't tax them TOO much or else that company leaves, we lose jobs, we lose tax revenue, we lose peosperity and wealth building in the USA, we lose our independence ... and become enslaved to other countries.

2009-03-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2014961

Master
White Oak, Texas
klowman - 2009-03-12 9:41 PM
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-03-12 12:56 PM

When you are talking about record profits for the oil companies though (some probably have Exxon in mind) ... you are looking at the WRONG numbers.

Sure, their profit was something like 10 Billion ... but their profit margin was razor thin....

The total profit number is just so high because they are such a huge company and hace so much volume ... but the actual profit margin for these oil companies are slimmer than almost any other business out there.

Fred's Hardware chain - has 100 stores acorss the USA, they spent 1 million dollars on inventory last year, their revenues were 3 million, their operating and other expenses were 1 million, so net profits were 2 million dollars.  Their profit margin was  50%.  No one is going to scream about a company making 2 million dollars.

Exxon refines and sells billions and billions of gallons of gas.  Their revenues were 50 Billion dollars, but their operating and other expenses were 40 Billion dollars, so net profit is 10 Billion and a 20% profit margin.

So their profit margin is more than half of what the hardware store was ... but everyone screams about the "gouging" and large sums of profit that Exxon makes .... but on a cost to revenue percentage ... they are making way less money.

People only hear the net profit amount and don't think about the other numbers in the equation ... and just assume that the oil company is making a killing and gouging everyone.

And like the OP stated ... why don't we want American companies to make a decent profit?  Most people's 401k's, IRA, and Mutual Funds are full of these types of stocks ... so if these companies and their stocks do well ... so do the retirement funds and investment funds of a lot of Americans.

Plus, we are all complaining about sales tax, bike tax, etc ... if we can keep successful American companies here and doing business ... they pay a lot of taxes and a good chunk of the Government revenue comes fro these companies.

But, like the OP stated, we need to be careful we don't tax them TOO much or else that company leaves, we lose jobs, we lose tax revenue, we lose peosperity and wealth building in the USA, we lose our independence ... and become enslaved to other countries.

I don't know that I said all that you said I said but I ment all you said I said.. The BIG OIL makes about 8 cents yes that is right .08 per gal on gas Big Government makes about 42 cents, .42 per gal you tell me who is jacking up the price.

2009-03-12 10:07 PM

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

I wonder how much Borden or Maola makes on a gallon of milk?

Or how much Pepsi or Coke makes on a 2 liter bottle of soda?

And these are food items, and grocery stores are another business that runs on very slim margins.

Wonder what Nike makes on a pair of shoes, or what the Gap makes on a pair of jeans,  etc ... it's just that Borden might sell 30 million gallons of milk per year and Exxon sells 30 Billion gallons of gas ... so it appears they are making a killing .. but really ... their margin is way thin.

2009-03-12 10:19 PM

Veteran

Why in the world would an Oil company (producer) want to be in the US?  The product they provide is a commodity.  After it is pumped, it's mixed with the oil from all over the world and sold to the refinery willing to pay the best price.  The US is threatening higher and higher taxes and more and more rules.  The door has been closed to new US drilling in promising areas so any new oil is going to have to be bought overseas.

Relocate the company in a tax friendly nation and thumb your nose at your former home.  That's smart business.

Face it, we can blast our corporations and drive them away or make the US the best place to start and locate a business.  It would appear that the former is the new plan for the US.

2009-03-13 7:05 AM

Master
Living in the past
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-03-12 11:56 AM

...After all the greatest expense in any business is employees.

In my case, a manufacturer, it's raw materials. Labor is a distant third, but ya can't cut materials and still sell product....

2009-03-13 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2015215

Champion
SRQ, FL
Force - 2009-03-13 8:05 AM
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-03-12 11:56 AM

...After all the greatest expense in any business is employees.

In my case, a manufacturer, it's raw materials. Labor is a distant third, but ya can't cut materials and still sell product....

Manufacturing can be vastly different from company to company.  We have many customers who have labor as #1 and materials as a distant third.  Of course my company makes automation machinery so we tend to do business with those who have high labor costs.

2009-03-13 7:45 AM

Extreme Veteran

Just some statistics

Exxon revenues (2008) - $372.8 billion

Exxon Profit (2008) - $40.6 Billion

Profit Margin 10.9%

Not huge but not what I would call razor thin either.

2009-03-13 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2015297

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
JustTriDave - 2009-03-13 8:45 AM

Just some statistics

Profit Margin 10.9%

I checked on Google Finance and they have for 2008 the Exxon had a profit margin of 9.47%, Pepsi an 11.89%, and American Dairy Farmers a 16.21%

.... while not maybe razor thin ... where is the outcry over the outrageous profits that Pepsi and the Milk companies are making?

Last I checked a gallon of milk or gallon of Pepsi costs more than a gallon of gas and has a lot less taxes on them.

2009-03-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2015977

Extreme Veteran
klowman - 2009-03-13 1:11 PM

Just some statistics

Profit Margin 10.9%

I checked on Google Finance and they have for 2008 the Exxon had a profit margin of 9.47%, Pepsi an 11.89%, and American Dairy Farmers a 16.21%

.... while not maybe razor thin ... where is the outcry over the outrageous profits that Pepsi and the Milk companies are making?

Last I checked a gallon of milk or gallon of Pepsi costs more than a gallon of gas and has a lot less taxes on them.

Probably because Pepsi and the ADF are not getting billions in tax breaks. and Pepsi's profits while huge (5 bil) are still 1/8 of Exxon

And the taxes on a gallon of gas,pepsi or milk have nothing to do with their profits

2009-03-13 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2016105

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
JustTriDave - 2009-03-13 1:58 PM
klowman - 2009-03-13 1:11 PM

Just some statistics

Profit Margin 10.9%

Probably because Pepsi and the ADF are not getting billions in tax breaks. and Pepsi's profits while huge (5 bil) are still 1/8 of Exxon

And the taxes on a gallon of gas,pepsi or milk have nothing to do with their profits

The tax breaks may be because they are trying to keep these companies in the U.S., but more to the point, like you say, Pepsu made 5 Billion in profits, but that is still only 1/8 of Exxon.

Yet the profit margin of Pepsi is more ... so why not the outcry of them making so much money off the American consumer.

It is simply because it isn't the 400 and some Billion that Exxon made ... but the reason is because Exxon is such a much larger company.  It's common sense .... if a company is 100 times larger than another ... then of course their total net revenue or profit is going to me more ... but that doesn't mean it is because they are way overcharging and screwing over the consumer.

It just simply means they are a bigger company, sell more, therefore have bigger numbers.  But if people only would look at the profit margins of companies instead ... they would realize that they are just makng a modest profit like any other company ... and like the OP stated, many people have Exxon in their portfolios .... as well as Pepsi and others ... so why wouldn't they want these companies to make a profit?

I'd rather see Exxon making a killing on profits than the Chinese company selling all those widgets here in the U.S, or the Japanese car manufactures, etc ....

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » U.S. Busines leaving the U.S. Rss Feed