General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 39m 50s
Overall Rank = 420/477
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 36/43
Swim
  • 07m 4s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

When I signed up I put down that it would take me 9 minutes to swim 300m. That put me near the very back of the swim start and had to stand around and wait over an hour before starting.
I was very happy with my time as this was the first time I've swam with other people in the same lanes. I spent too much time going around people and was never able to concentrate on my swim stroke. I knew it would be much different than my swimming by myself in the 25yd gym pool, I just didn't want to panic and I stayed pretty focused considering this was my first swim with arms and legs flailing all around me.

The last 50m was slow because I had to wait for people to get out of the pool and wait my turn to climb up the ladder. That probably cost me 20-30 extra seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Up to this point in my training, I was happy with my result. I would like to start training with a group to get faster and start the swim portion earlier. I would almost rather be the one getting passed so not to exert that extra push to go around people.
Transition 1
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

It was cold outside and I took my time to put on extra clothes.

Practice transitions more! My transition area was a big pile of clothes. I tried to put everything down nice and neat in the order I planned on putting them on, but it was still a mess. I had a huge towel doubled that I wrapped around the clothes and another towel on top of that. Was trying to keep my shoes and clothes from getting drenched in the drizzle/rain.
Bike
  • 47m 22s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.20 mile/hr
Comments:

My first 1/2 mile was pretty slow getting out of transition and turning several times before the main loop started. I think I kind of rode with the crowd at first and I didn't push myself like I should have. Once I got in the groove there were lots of downhills on miles 2-4 and I passed lots of people and hit 30mph a couple of times. Mile 5 was a killer -- I averaged about 11mph on that mile both times around the loop. A few times I looked down and saw I was speeding up the hill at 7mph. I had one 20oz bottle of water on my bike and drank about 3/4 of it. Probably should have hydrated myself better during the bike. I was never passed by a mountain bike -- woohoo, but there was a 62yr old lady that flew by me on those hills!

I rode with my running shoes and strap cage, so I will be using bike shoes and pedals next time!
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I already had my running shoes on, so this should have been much faster. I took off my jacket I wore on the bike and had to dig through my transition pile for my race number and watch band. I was barely moving out of transition as my legs were jello.

Not sure since my transition area wasn't laid out like I had practiced previously. I changed what I had practiced so I wouldn't struggle in the weather.
Run
  • 38m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My time was slower than my training. My legs felt horrible after transition. As I just got out of transition, my race belt came undone. It was still clipped but the loop thingy came undone and stopped to fix it. I tried to weave it through while jogging, but that wasn't working so I just stopped and worked on it until it was secure. I did a combination of walking/jogging like I did while training, but my jogging was much slower than my training.

I knew that running was my weakest area and I think mentally I talked myself into just trudging along and taking my time. I did not have a race or competition mentality at this point of the course and just wanted to finish. That won't happen again!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and grabbed a drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being overweight and not on in great physical shape yet.

Event comments:

My first race, so hard for me to compare and rate.

Last updated: 2009-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:04 | 328 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/43
Overall: 0/477
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Indoor 50m pool. Snake swim through lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:54
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:22 | 12 miles | 15.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/43
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course had more hills than I trained on. It wasn't outrageous, but I definitely could use more hill work!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:19 | 03.11 miles | 12m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/43
Performance: Below average
Course: Fairly flat course with some small sloping hills. Nice run course.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-03-15 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Subject: St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon

2009-03-15 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2018929

User image

Dallas
Subject: RE: St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon
"Great job on the race! You beat me by 28 seconds!! Dang it... I have to start running more.

wkirbytri · 2009-03-15 4:00 PM"

You absolutely had an amazing race, and your cycling and swimming times were great!  Hey, Plano is not too far from where I live...in fact, I work at my company's corp offices in West Plano :-)  Maybe we can't get a North Dallas running/cycling BTer club together.  We could help each other improve on our weaker events   Want to train for a May Triathlon????

2009-03-15 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2019254

User image

I'm up in Plano.  I train with TNT on certain days, but would be happy to try and get together with some other BTers.
2009-03-16 5:44 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Great job on your first tri Wes! 
2009-03-17 4:57 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
YEAH! WES IS A TRIATHLETE! Great job man...perfect spring board for more!! Plus, it looks like some folks wouldn't mind training with you up there!! Keep on keeping on and you'll just keep having moe fun!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed