Runners Soul
1C / 34F
Overcast
Total Time = 47m 16s
Overall Rank = 88/566
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/25
Pre-race routine:

We ate a light dinner, take-out salads with chicken in them, about 5pm. My wife stayed home and I got to the venue about an hour early. The post race activities are held in an otherwise closed mall. It's open before the race too for a coat check and shelter. It was cool out and a bit breezy. I only wore shorts and a couple of tech t-shirts, a short sleeve over a long sleeve, so after a quick reconnaissance tour I stayed inside until close to race time.
Event warmup:

I went out about 20 minutes before the 8pm start, did a few short sprints, and used the porta-potties. About 15 to I had a double-caffeinated gel and some water, and then headed over to the start line. We had chips for our finish time but everyone got the same start so I stayed only about 10 feet back from the line. There was music and an aerobic instructor so I bounced around a bit with the others to stay warm. They had singers for the U.S. and Canadian anthems, a count down, and a cannon.
Run
  • 47m 16s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 44s  min/km
Comments:

With the long downhill from just beyond the start, everyone started out way too fast. Garmin says my first km only took 3:55. Even at that, lots of people were passing me going down the hill. Once the route leveled out down in the river valley though, I settled into a solid run and from there on I was only passed by 3 or 4 others the whole race. I was just running what felt right but I kept reeling in one runner after another.

About half way through, I caught up to one lady who stayed ahead. Maybe she was running faster when she heard me heaving for air behind her. I'm sure I was making more noise breathing than anyone else. Whatever the reason, she was the only one I saw that I didn't catch. We both kept slowly moving up through the field. I almost passed her a few times but she stayed ahead and I followed.

The 6km race starts 15 minutes after the 10k and the routes come together a little before we started back up the hill. There was a lot of slower traffic then, and going up the hill my rabbit and I ran past literally hundreds and hundreds of walkers. Just beyond the top of the hill, she found another gear and I had to let her go but there were only seconds left to run. Again, I forgot to stop my Garmin right away but it was only an extra minute before I got it.

My time was 5 minutes faster than last year, and that was a big PR. :)
Post race
Warm down:

My legs were cramping up a little after the race, calves and lower quads, so I walked and jogged around a bit. I stopped to talk with several people I knew but tried to get moving again quickly. I even spotted my rabbit and we had a laugh as I thanked her for the pacing. Then I went inside to warm up, had lots of food and pop, and stayed through the awards to collect my hardware. :)

Event comments:

With an overall participation of 2500, the venue can get a bit crowded. I think a lot of people left earlier though because it didn't seem too bad this time.

Last updated: 2008-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:16 | 10 kms | 04m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 88/566
Performance: Good
Av. HR 168, Max 176
Course: Course runs a couple of blocks through town and then down into the river valley on a steep paved road. It's about 100m (300ft) of elevation. The route winds through some park and nature preserve areas before returning up the hill to the start.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes