Delco RRC
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Race wasn't until 9:00 so planned on leaving the house by 7:00. Needed to get gas and pickup a bagel w/PB and some gatorade. Well, didn't quite work out that well as it took me forever to get out of the house for a variety of reasons. Got on the highway at about 7:35 and with a expected time of 1:15 was a little worried. Drove way faster than I wanted to but got to the site by 8:40. Ended up having to part about 1/4 mile from the reg building in a muddy field (more about that later).
Event warmup:

Nothing!!! Registered, hit the port-a-potty, ran back to my car to put on an ankle brace do to all the mud and ran back to the starting line with about 30 seconds to spare. Needless to say I started almost dead last which is ideal in a trail race with tight running lanes.
Run
  • 1h 03m 54s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I haven't been running much lately and when I do only about 2 miles or so due to some self-diagnosed achilles tendinitis. I decided to sign up a few weeks ago when I ran under 44 minutes for a training run that usually takes me 46 or so. Unfortunately my foot stiffened up soon after that and hampered me up to the race. I debated dropping out as only was $20 but figured it'd be a good training run at the very least.

Now on to the actual race. Started DFL and literally was walking/not moving for about 30 or seconds after the horn. People were fanned out across the entire width of the path so was very difficult to make some headway. Eventually I started finding some openings and doing some quick burts/sprints to pass. Was a bit difficult to stay under control on a downhill section. First mile or two was going well when I hit a moderate hill somewhere in mile 3. My left heel starting hurting fairly signicantly on the uphill portion. Pushed through that and got to the 3 mile mark in 25:40. Right after the marker was the next winding, uphill portion and my foot felt even worse. I decided to try and push through hoping it would loosen up. About 100 feet from the top I did something I've never had to do in a race and that is walk. It was during this walk that I decided I would walk up any portion of the course that was causing me some pain. Unfortunately that was any uphill section I came to. Over the last 2.5 miles I bet I walked a half mile of it. When I could run without pain I did and on a positive note I got a lot of practice running downhills. Since I was well within myself aerobically I was able to sprint on home when the finish line came into view.
What would you do differently?:

Finally get my foot looked at professionallly????? In hindsight I really shouldn't have done the race. I would like to think I could've broken 50 minutes for his race with proper training and fitness in the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out a bit, found a box of homemade chocolate chip cookies (yum!) and picked up our free plant (the race was at an Arboretum).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Left foot and lack of training because of said foot.

Event comments:

Can't wait to come back and try this course fit and healthy next year. Nice course to run on (very muddy this year from rain the entire previous day) and challenging enough. They weren't quite prepared for the amount of people who signed up for the race as a bunch of people had to park out in a field. One by one we all starting getting stuck (really stuck!) on the way out. Had to wait your turn and help push, pull others out with the help of a front end loader that an Arboretum employee was using. My poor car needs a bath. I was smart enough to bring extra shoes/socks but ended up wreching them in the field anyway!

Last updated: 2009-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:54 | 06.21 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Up a hill and down a hill pretty much the whole time. Not much flat terrain. 2 very small creeks you had to go through twice but really just 2 to 3 steps to get over each.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Tyler Arboretum 10K Trail Run

2009-04-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2064466

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: Tyler Arboretum 10K Trail Run
Great race report! Nice job getting it done even through the difficulties! The mud sounds like a mess! Now go get that foot looked at!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tyler Arboretum 10K Trail Run Rss Feed