Ironman North America
60'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 22m 8s
Overall Rank = 1361/2113
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 256/356
Pre-race routine:

Got up early around 0400 this morning. Took time in getting ready. Placed all items into truck to drive to parking, then ate some breakfast. Had oatmeal, banana, salt tablet, and some OJ and chocolate milk. All tasted good, and most I ate in a while. Felt pretty good. Not much sleep last night.
Event warmup:

Once in parking by the pier, walk about half to transition with wife, then biked the rest. Checked the gears to make sure they were set right. Once there, got transition done, then waited in line. Stretched and spun the arms around for typical swimming warm up.
Once told to go into water, swam nice and easy to the swim start, and waited by treading the water.
Swim
  • 29m 26s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm happy with the swim overall since I did drop over 2 minutes from last years time. But not as fast as I wanted to. Was hopping for 27/low 28's for this swim course. Drafting sucked since I cleared path about 150yds into the swim, and then had no one to push/pull me on the swim. Really challanging to swim fast when you have no one to pull/push you. I was racing into the Challenged Athletes Foundation wave right after the pro womens. I did catch a bunch of them, and made my goal to swim through them though, but not fast enouhg.
What would you do differently?:

Debate to start into the early wave and go with age groupers to push me a lot harder. I did notice overall I did have 20 people who overall swam faster than I did. Next year analogy!!
Transition 1
  • 05m 3s
Comments:

Not the best transition of all. My stuff was scattered a little around as the transition was very crowded for the CAF people. Cleaned feet for socks, then compression guard, took a while to get those on with wet legs, then bike shoes, helmet, sunglasses. Just too many things to work with, need to be more efficient. Not my best transition, but took my time here.

Need to check my transition just before I head into the water to make sure all is there. Also check with manufacturer if calf compression socks can be worn during the swim, and have everything better layed out. Should of known better, I am not a newbie now.
Bike
  • 2h 59m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike section overall, I'm happy since I broke 3hrs. That was my goal, an achieved. With cutting my cycling by over 60% to concentrate on my run, I'm very happy. Felt good on the way up the coast. Stopped for the bathroom as i had to pi real bad, then felt much better. Hydrated OK on the course. On that first hill, now I do remember it being the worste of all of the three. I had to zigzag a little at some point, but made it through, and felt good, OK , sore but good overall. Made it to top, regained composure and worked on the speed again. Second hill was much easier than I though it would be, and really happy with it. Those three session I did in Red Rock, NV must of helped build my confidence. Third hill was longer, but not as steep. Which is what makes the last two hills so wonderfull, they are easier than the first one. Then we were on the home stretch for the last 10+ miles. Off course, all rolling hills, but not that bad overall. Had a great time today on this course.

Train more hills, and increase my mileage. Did well for cutting back as much as i did on cycling. Longest distance before that was I think 1 ride barelly over 50 miles. Otherwise, mostly short. So continue increasing that distance.
Transition 2
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Smooth arrival into the transition. Real nice de-mount of the bike while rolling. Than walked/run with bike. Could of been batter. Since running gear was re-organized from T1, was able to switch socks to the thicker ones because of the sand section. Did not want that to rubb.

Continue praticing this transition, and run more next to my bike.
Run
  • 2h 44m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off pretty good on the run. Started great on the first 3 miles. Ignored the pain in the sand. Good first quarter and great pace. Then stomach got upset , tighs got cramps, and went to bathroom. Felt better. Got back and ran walked most of the rest of the half marathon.
OK, i did improve over 15 min from last year, but with all the running I did this year, I am very disapointed in my running time. It has set me back to what did I do wrong. I know not monitoring my HR was throwing me off my game, but I really let that get to me today. Really not happy of how it destroyed my run.
I mean, I ran 80 miles in March, and then this!!! This is real crap I think.

Enough said, back on the training wagon, and get re-focussed for the rest of the year. I will take vengeance on the run course, and will have a much better run at Eagleman.

Confused!!! I guess continue running more and increase mileage. Have friends throw me more off my wagon to learn to stay focus and perform very well under things that come toward me. Need to find cash and work closer with just a running coach for both technique and mental training on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to tent, ate lots of food, and food and drinks. Stretched for a while, and walked around. AFter relaxing a while, long walk to pier with wife and bike. Great time there also. She really knows how to turn things around, and keep me on the positive mental game. Great cheerleader, and she did an awesome job out there on the course cheering me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run portion of this race again. I expected a much faster run with all the training I've done. This really sucks, but will take vangeance on the run next time. Do more running 5 and 10K's maybe some Half Marathons also. Need to talk with a running coach.

Event comments:

Good race overall. Happy with climbing ability this time and need to continue training in the hills. Great weather, probably a little warmer than advertised, or just a stronger sun. Would do it again in a heart beat.

Last updated: 2008-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:26 | 1931 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 25/356
Overall: 196/2113
Performance: Good
Once got out of water, watched looked all screwed up. Swim time showed 22min which I knew had to be wrong, because pace was much slower than that. By the time to bike rack, watch was dead. Crapp!!!!
Suit: 2XU V:1 Wetsuit
Course: Swim course was out and back with a little with for the turn around. Simple course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:59:20 | 56 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 186/356
Overall: 895/2113
Performance: Good
No data since I don't have a bike computer and HR monitor completely crapped on me.
Wind: Some
Course: Course is up the coast toward San Clemente on the last South Exit, then turn right inland. Then again for the, hills. three of them actually, then head back on rollers toward the beach.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:44:35 | 13.1 miles | 12m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 333/356
Overall: 1876/2113
Performance: Below average
None since watch crapped out. Uggghhhh!! :(
Course: The run course wass two loop mostly paced, but they did bring the sand section back again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Great race, and loved it overall. Would recommend it to everyone with some hill training and sand running. Thanks for al the support BT'ers and to the wife for being an awesome cheerleader with all other friends.

Edited by devouahy 2009-04-06 2:01 PM

2009-04-06 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2065933

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
WoW! You did great!!! Don't beat yourself up about the run.  Somedays are just not your day. Regardless of how much you have trained!! You can only be as fast/good as your body can be on THAT DAY.  So keeping in mind your fast swim and bike splits, you still have things to be proud of!!!  And running on sand? NO THANK YOU!!!  SO HARD!!! So you're just a stud for even doing this race!!  Just learn and keep moving foward.....like I know you'll do. :-)  Again..AWESOME!
2009-04-06 3:32 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Nice race Hans, must be nice to get a 29 in the swim!You are an animal in the water!

Nice meeting you and your wife!

2009-04-06 3:53 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Well done on the swim and bike ... way to power out the hills. You're getting very strong on the bike. The run was tough. Way to improve this year. I'm sorry I missed you guys at the post race dinner. I had a little birthday celebration with my sister that night. 

What a great start to the season. 

2009-04-06 4:25 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Super job, Hans! It was so wonderful to see you out there on the course and cheer my heart out for you. YOU ARE SUPERMAN!!! You SMOKED the swim, broke a great 3:00 on the bike, and you really improved your run--not as much as you wanted, but still a huge improvement! Way to go!

It was also such a pleasure having dinner with you and meeting your delightful "young" parents!!!
2009-04-06 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Great race Hans....you smoked that swim!!  Turned in a pretty sweet split on the bike too.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad about the run - that sand wreaked havoc on a lot of people's day... =)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed