General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 22m 34s
Overall Rank = 12/638
Age Group = elite
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

normal breakfast with coffee and then off to the race. setup transition and then hung out for 45min waiting for time to fl by.
Event warmup:

ez run to loosen up legs. no warmup swim.
Swim
  • 30m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

the swim went really well for me. i started to the outside and got a good jump to work my way towards the center. never got bumped or caught in traffic so i was able to get into a nice groove quickly. i worked on long smooth strokes and found some feet (richard freer) to ride for awhile. after the first buoy i was in a group of 3 and i just focused staying on the feet in front of me. near the last buoy turn i moved to the outside of my group and pulled ahead. the draft worked well because we were swimming into the current and i didnt have to do much of the work. during the home stretch i was passed by jamie cleveland and i tried to hold onto his feet. that lasted about 30sec and then i swam the rest by myself. overall i was very pleased with the swim b/c the effort didnt seem too hard.
What would you do differently?:

not much
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

no issues. this was a good transition for me.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 20m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.99 mile/hr
Comments:

right from the start i was a bit nervous b/c i lost my spare tire at mile 1. once out on the main strip i just hit a big gear and went. freer passed me quickly and i tried to stay with him but he faded in the distance. i think i rode the next 15miles alone. once i was caught by jano from mexico i picked up the pace with him and rode about 10m back. after another 5 miles another guy passed us and so i decided to go. once we hit an incline over the bridge i floored it and dropped jano. i then hammered for the next 10+ miles alone until 2 guys caught me and i paced with them for awhile. they dropped me near the end but i passed another guy near the finish. the 2 that dropped me didnt get far b/c i would pass both of them within a mile of the run. bike went really well. the goal was to go hard and see what kind of run legs i would have. took in 600cals of infinit and 300cals in gels.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

really fast T2 for me.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 28m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

legs were really tired for the first 5miles and then had some GI issues and the heat got to me. continue to hold on another 3 miles and then felt the legs come around. sipped on some gels the first half of run and then moved to pepsi which worked wonders. thought i might have to stop on 3rd lap due to potential # 2 but managed to keep that at bay. passed a few folks early and then got passed by a group of 3 that i couldnt ever catch back up to. legs really felt good on last lap and was able to pick up the pace again. wished i could have ran a 1:25 but due to the middle of the run i slowed for awhile which hurt my time.

hit the coke/pepsi early and stay with th run pace thru out.
Post race
Warm down:

got some water on the face and some snacks and then a massage. waited for friend jamie (jpb0009) to finish and then changed clothes and enjoyed several beers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

really enjoyed the race. would definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2008-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 33/638
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra VP2
Course: single loop in galveston bay. swam against current. saltwater swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:20:05 | 56 miles | 23.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 35/638
Wind: Strong
Course: out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:28:21 | 13.1 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 16/638
Performance: Average
Course: 4 laps inside moody gardens park
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-07 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2009-04-08 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2069914

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Awesome split times and very consistent against the elites.

It wouldn't be one of your races if you didn't have #2 issues. Probably need to increase your training in that area.

Well done.
2009-04-08 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Nice job Todde,  4:22 is wicked fast and that kona slot is there for you in the future.  You know how to work through the issues and not let them get into your head.  Train hard for Buffalo and perhaps the kona slot is there waiting for  (especially since tim hola took his slot at cali )  Nice seeing you again since my move to houston, but i'll be in austin quite a bit as well.  Keep up the solid training.
2009-04-08 9:24 AM

User image

Colorado Springs

Awesome race Todde! I knew you were gonna kill it. Looking forward to next month and getting some good rides in together. Utah... 13 months and counting

2009-04-11 9:13 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Wow--I can hardly imagine being that fast, but you did excellent out there with a great crowd to race against as well!! Great start to the race season--it'll be fun to see the rest of your season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed