BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-06-26 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2243647

User image

Regular
Beaumont
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy
Bill - 2009-06-25 5:16 PM

I just received a copy of The Paleo Diet for Athletes. Have any of you read the original Paleo Diet book? Interesting stuff.

Cliffnotes version so far: Eat lots of lean meat and fresh vegetables. Avoid starchy carbs unless it's for recovery. Be sure to get omega-3 fatty acids and branch chain amino acids in your diet. I'm only a chapter into it so I'll keep you posted.

I try to eat that sort of diet as it is. My former binge foods can still fit into the recovery picture. For example, where I used to eat a bag of hot, fresh white flour tortillas in the car on the way home from the store, when I'm craving them now I'll have two after a long workout with some slower digesting carbs and protein.

I'm not far enough in to the book to discern if that's okay by the diet, but looking at a few sample menus I can see already I wouldn't convert fully. I'm not giving up legumes and grains altogether. No reason to really.

I have been doing the Paleo Diet for Athletes for about 6 weeks now.  I vary from the diet on occassion i.e. i still enjoy some oatmeal or quinoa from time to time.  I finished the book last week and really tried to study it more than just read through it.  I think its great.  Since starting, I have seen about a 2% drop in body fat and really feel "light on my feet."  Although, it is REALLY expensive to eat Paleo.  All that fresh produce adds up in a hurry.  This is great, somone local to debate the ins and outs of the paleo diet!

When you get to the part about alkalinity/acidity of foods you will see why Cordain and Friel try to omit grains and legumes.  Not saying its right or wrong, but interesting.  I have even thought about growing my hair out to embrace my inner caveman Wink

Edited by TBriggs 2009-06-26 1:05 PM

2009-06-27 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Elite
Texas
I don't want to fire potshots at the Paleo Diet without having read the whole book, but I do have to wonder so far about the whole grains/acidity thing.

If a food like quinoa is excluded (or consumption is very limited) based the fact that paleolitihic man didn't eat it, that's one thing. But for the author to further state that whole grains and seeds like quinoa should be limited based on their acidifying properties, I have a few points to consider. Number one, the "acidifying" properties of foods haven't (to my knowledge) been studied extensively or linked conclusively to any disease process. The only info I can find is on sites where they sell pH test strips and colon cleansers, and a book by a naturopath (which I've read) and this makes me highly skeptical about the acidification thing.  Why aren't there any articles in reputable peer-reviewed journal? It's not a new idea, so there's been plenty of time for the scientific community to come out and say we should consider the acidifying properties of foods when we make dietary choices. Of course even when the scientific community does say "this is bad" no one seems to care much. Case in point, yesterday while I was puting a central IV line in a cardiac patient her hospital-provided dinner tray arrived: Cheeseburger with tater tots. WTF? Job security I guess...

That said, lets say for the sake of the discussion that acidifying foods are bad. Foods included in the Paleo diet such as seafood and lean red meat are classified as "highly acidifying". But they're in there because they were available to paleolithic man.

I think he shoud have left the acidification thing off the table because it has nothing to do with eating like paleolithic man and it clearly has been applied to support his hypothesis about what is good to eat and what isn't. But if you apply it across the board, including highly acidifying foods flies in the face the rationale for excluding whole grains for athletes who need good carbs.

My ultimate take is this. I think lean protein, a TON of fresh veggies and fruits, some whole grain foods that are minimally processed, limited lean dairy (the only dairy I consume daily is fat free Greek yogurt with probiotics), and then recovery nutrition with medium and high glycemic index carbs and lean protein are the best way to go for me. Also, avoiding highly processed foods and alcohol in excess (I have a beer or two every few weeks) are important.

Overall though, I think there is a lot of good information in the book. I'm going to read the whole thing before I pass judgement, but the "acidification" stuff sort of raised a red flag and honestly, disappointed me a little because I think that concept isn't supprted by good science (yet?).

Edited by Bill 2009-06-27 3:17 PM
2009-06-27 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2247356

User image

Regular
Beaumont
Bill - 2009-06-27 3:15 PM I don't want to fire potshots at the Paleo Diet without having read the whole book, but I do have to wonder so far about the whole grains/acidity thing.

If a food like quinoa is excluded (or consumption is very limited) based the fact that paleolitihic man didn't eat it, that's one thing. But for the author to further state that whole grains and seeds like quinoa should be limited based on their acidifying properties, I have a few points to consider. Number one, the "acidifying" properties of foods haven't (to my knowledge) been studied extensively or linked conclusively to any disease process. The only info I can find is on sites where they sell pH test strips and colon cleansers, and a book by a naturopath (which I've read) and this makes me highly skeptical about the acidification thing.  Why aren't there any articles in reputable peer-reviewed journal? It's not a new idea, so there's been plenty of time for the scientific community to come out and say we should consider the acidifying properties of foods when we make dietary choices. Of course even when the scientific community does say "this is bad" no one seems to care much. Case in point, yesterday while I was puting a central IV line in a cardiac patient her hospital-provided dinner tray arrived: Cheeseburger with tater tots. WTF? Job security I guess...

That said, lets say for the sake of the discussion that acidifying foods are bad. Foods included in the Paleo diet such as seafood and lean red meat are classified as "highly acidifying". But they're in there because they were available to paleolithic man.

I think he shoud have left the acidification thing off the table because it has nothing to do with eating like paleolithic man and it clearly has been applied to support his hypothesis about what is good to eat and what isn't. But if you apply it across the board, including highly acidifying foods flies in the face the rationale for excluding whole grains for athletes who need good carbs.

My ultimate take is this. I think lean protein, a TON of fresh veggies and fruits, some whole grain foods that are minimally processed, limited lean dairy (the only dairy I consume daily is fat free Greek yogurt with probiotics), and then recovery nutrition with medium and high glycemic index carbs and lean protein are the best way to go for me. Also, avoiding highly processed foods and alcohol in excess (I have a beer or two every few weeks) are important.

Overall though, I think there is a lot of good information in the book. I'm going to read the whole thing before I pass judgement, but the "acidification" stuff sort of raised a red flag and honestly, disappointed me a little because I think that concept isn't supprted by good science (yet?).

I totally agree that excluding grains is not necessary.  Some of the questions I have are similar to yours, since sea food and read meat are "highly acidic", as stated are grains, why couldn't you consume them with portion control along with fresh fruits and veggies as you do with meat.  Another major reason the author encourages getting carbs from veggies and fruit instead of grains is that the produce provides significantly more "nutrients" than grains. Since I have started to try and eat "Paleo", I have had a dramatic increase in the amounts of fruits and veggies that I eat, decreased the amount refined and processed foods, but still enjoy grains such as quinoa, steel cut oats, and low fat dairy products on occasion.

For myself, the book has been a great enabler for me to improve my dietary habits in the fact that I no longer consume large portions of bagels, rice, pasta, etc.  I know consume moderate and reasonable portions of grains along with lean protein and TONS of fresh fruits and veggies.

Great points Bill, I never looked at the acidity/alkalinity information as a means for justification for the author.  Thanks for the revelation!  I think I will have a bagel with peanut butter now!....along with some fruit so I dont get to acidic Wink 
2009-06-27 10:13 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Yeah, actually Gordo Byrn has the same take on the Paleo Diet according to his articles.

There's another excellent web site ( http://www.whfoods.com/  that I like to use. Tons of information there.

I think overall the priciples are sounds in the Paleo Diet. I just sort of locked in on the acid/base thing because it struck a nerve after subjecting myself to reading a book and few articles on the topic and coming away with the feeling it was pseudo-science.

Still trying to remain objective as I read the book though...

2009-06-29 8:42 AM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a great training week. I have two weeks til my first race and I can't wait. My weight is 191 and I feel great...lighter on my feet, faster (always a relative term), stronger, and have noticed a big difference in how my clothes fit.

I'm taking it easy this week - on vacation and taking the family out to Schlitterbahn! I'll be out for a couple of days, "resting," and I'll see y'all Thursday.

Jeff
2009-06-29 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Just wanted to thank Bill for his positive help.  I decided to try doing a practice sprint each week, and he was very supportive.
I had great results yesterday, following his quote of "slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
That quote is gold.
I've screwed up my races by trying to go too fast.  At my practice yesterday, I did everything slow and smooth, and was comfortable and faster because of it.
So, Thanks Bill.

So I've always worried about my knees 20 years from now, and tried to not run any more than needed.  But I can see the improvements that running longer distances brings.  Argh.

steve

2009-06-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2249841

User image

Elite
Texas
EvenOlder - 2009-06-29 9:35 AM Just wanted to thank Bill for his positive help.  I decided to try doing a practice sprint each week, and he was very supportive.
I had great results yesterday, following his quote of "slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
That quote is gold.
I've screwed up my races by trying to go too fast.  At my practice yesterday, I did everything slow and smooth, and was comfortable and faster because of it.
So, Thanks Bill.

So I've always worried about my knees 20 years from now, and tried to not run any more than needed.  But I can see the improvements that running longer distances brings.  Argh.

steve

Glad to hear things are going well Steve.

As for kness, I have one that's golden and one that is a disaster. I spend (too much) time thinking about how different things would be for me if they were both good, But that's not how it is, so I have to train to accomodate my weakest link. I've tried to ignore it and just push through and that didn't work so well. More recently I've shown myself a little compassion and took a long time to build up run volume. I also made a point to get as light as I can. THAT alone has made a tremendous difference for me.

Running is my favorite so I hate to acknowledge I'll have to abandon it altogether one day. My orthopedist told me that day was "today" four years ago. But he was only 99% percent certain that was the case, so I opted to squeeze into that 1% window and go from there.

Running smart trumps running long, though they aren't mutually exclusive. Just allow yourself to build volume gradually (a lot of people say 10% a week), allow for recovery (a lot of people say 3 weeks of steady training with a fourth week for recovery, your mileage may vary), and pay attention to injuries. Anything that pops up needs to be monitored. Anything that persists needs to be addressed.
2009-07-02 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
So now I need to read up on knee pain.  My right knee, basically the tendon/ligament from the patella to the shin below, is sore after riding.  Before researching it to death, should I move my seat back or front, and/or the pedal clip closer/farther from the bike?
steve
2009-07-04 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2259384

User image

Elite
Texas
EvenOlder - 2009-07-02 6:58 PM So now I need to read up on knee pain.  My right knee, basically the tendon/ligament from the patella to the shin below, is sore after riding.  Before researching it to death, should I move my seat back or front, and/or the pedal clip closer/farther from the bike?
steve

Best option is an in-store bike fitting with a person who knows what to look for when you're on the bike in your riding position. Is ther a local bike shop where you can get that done? Usually costs between $50 to $100, but it's well worth the money to be comfortable and avoid injury from riding in a poor position.
2009-07-05 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
So how was everyone's 4th of July? I spent the day at the lake with family and friends - but naturally I got out of hand with beer and BBQ, so I need to get back on track tomorrow.

Oh, and my first race is in 1 week! I can't wait
2009-07-05 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Yay first race!

2009-07-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2263191

New user
Gautier, MS
I laid low and hung out with the family.  Beer and BBQ as well, or course.  I did manage to get in a run on July 4th morning before things got started, and a swim/bike yesterday so I stayed on track. 

It is a race week for me as well!  Have a sprint on Saturday.  My wife is doing it also.. her first race.  Should be a great weekend!
2009-07-06 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I spent the 4th running in the U.S.'s largest 10K -- the Peachtree Road Race.  It's really an event, with 55,000 runners.  But they really do it up right, well organized and lots of fun! 

2009-07-06 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

And good luck to Jeff, Cole, and Cole's wife this weekend!

2009-07-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2264689

New user
Gautier, MS
Sledge - 2009-07-06 11:38 AM

I spent the 4th running in the U.S.'s largest 10K -- the Peachtree Road Race.  It's really an event, with 55,000 runners.  But they really do it up right, well organized and lots of fun! 

Wow... I can't imagine 55,000 runners on a 10K course.  That is insane!
2009-07-06 6:10 PM

New user
Had a killer week last week. Was in New York for a trade show and ran 6 miles along the Hudson and then over through central park. That was a lifelong dream for me to do that.

Came back last week Wednesday, packed the car up and headed to Saugatuk, MI, harbor country in the midwest, absolutely beautiful. My wife and I go twice a year. It's a triathletes dream, nothing but open road and trails everywhere.

I did my first 3 sports brick on Saturday and killed it. Swam in the STILL bruatally cold waters of Lake Michigan for a full 25 minutes, don't know the distance but it was definetley over a 1/3 mile. My wife walked along the shore line cheering me on and keeping an eye on me. Got out of the water, struggled a little with the wetsuit until I told myself to calm down and chill out. Ran up 90 steps up the bluff and proceeded on the ride. Rode for 35 miuntes, about 8 miles. Then came back to our cottage and transitioned really smoothly into the run. Ran 2 miles in 20 minutes. I felt awesome afterwards and could have kept going. I'm just really anal about sticking to my training plan.

Some random thoughts:
1. Swimming in open water is no joke. I paniced a little at first and ditched the form until I heard my coaches voice "retreating from proper form does more harm then good, keep the form no matter what".
2. Taking off a "wet" wetsuit is a lot harder then i thought especially when my heart rate is going.
3. I need to accept that I can only go so fast on a Hybrid bike. It's frustrating but want to make sure I get hooked on this sport before dropping some serious dollars on a new bike. Maybe next year after I get a few races under my belt.

And here is the topper to the weekend, was at a pancake breakfast yesterday morning and all of a sudden come walking in 6 guys and girls with "marked" arms and legs. I asked one of them and there was the Benton Harbor Firecracker Sprint Tri just 5 miles away. DAMN. I had no idea. Too bad, maybe next year. Besides, I have my first Tri in two weeks. Woohoo!!!

We

2009-07-06 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
chicago joe-
Congrats!  Sounds like a really positive training experience.  I've started doing a complete practice sprint also, every weekend, and it's been a big help to smooth out my routine.  Nutrition, hydration, gear, etc.   
Good luck on your unpcoming race.
steve
2009-07-06 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2265791

User image

Elite
Texas
Chicago_Joe - 2009-07-06 6:10 PM Had a killer week last week. Was in New York for a trade show and ran 6 miles along the Hudson and then over through central park. That was a lifelong dream for me to do that.

Came back last week Wednesday, packed the car up and headed to Saugatuk, MI, harbor country in the midwest, absolutely beautiful. My wife and I go twice a year. It's a triathletes dream, nothing but open road and trails everywhere.

I did my first 3 sports brick on Saturday and killed it. Swam in the STILL bruatally cold waters of Lake Michigan for a full 25 minutes, don't know the distance but it was definetley over a 1/3 mile. My wife walked along the shore line cheering me on and keeping an eye on me. Got out of the water, struggled a little with the wetsuit until I told myself to calm down and chill out. Ran up 90 steps up the bluff and proceeded on the ride. Rode for 35 miuntes, about 8 miles. Then came back to our cottage and transitioned really smoothly into the run. Ran 2 miles in 20 minutes. I felt awesome afterwards and could have kept going. I'm just really anal about sticking to my training plan.

Some random thoughts:
1. Swimming in open water is no joke. I paniced a little at first and ditched the form until I heard my coaches voice "retreating from proper form does more harm then good, keep the form no matter what".
2. Taking off a "wet" wetsuit is a lot harder then i thought especially when my heart rate is going.
3. I need to accept that I can only go so fast on a Hybrid bike. It's frustrating but want to make sure I get hooked on this sport before dropping some serious dollars on a new bike. Maybe next year after I get a few races under my belt.

And here is the topper to the weekend, was at a pancake breakfast yesterday morning and all of a sudden come walking in 6 guys and girls with "marked" arms and legs. I asked one of them and there was the Benton Harbor Firecracker Sprint Tri just 5 miles away. DAMN. I had no idea. Too bad, maybe next year. Besides, I have my first Tri in two weeks. Woohoo!!!

We

Awesome work Joe! We can talk all day long about what to do, but the ground truth is always far better in terms of knowledge gained. Nice!
2009-07-06 8:03 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

I've been off work since last Thursday. Friday I spent 5 1/2 hours in the car driving to Austin with the family (three kids in the back seat). Report card:

9 year old: B+
19 month old: C+
6 month old: A++ (she literally entertains herself for hours and hours and hours. Lowest maintenance baby ever).

I dropped off the family in Round Rock and went to Jack and Adams to have an excellent bike fitting and have these bad boys installed on my bike. All I need now is a pair of mini-guns:

2009-07-07 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2266018

New user
Gautier, MS
Bill - 2009-07-06 8:03 PM

I've been off work since last Thursday. Friday I spent 5 1/2 hours in the car driving to Austin with the family (three kids in the back seat). Report card:

9 year old: B+
19 month old: C+
6 month old: A++ (she literally entertains herself for hours and hours and hours. Lowest maintenance baby ever).

I dropped off the family in Round Rock and went to Jack and Adams to have an excellent bike fitting and have these bad boys installed on my bike. All I need now is a pair of mini-guns:

Saawweet!!
2009-07-07 5:20 PM

New user
Quick question:

How crucial is it to inspect a course prior to a race? As you guys know I'm doing the Harbor Lights Sprint on the 19th in Waukegan, IL and don't think I'll have time to go all the way there prior to the race day. Any input would be much appreciated. Starting to get nervous and it's still 2 weeks away!

2009-07-07 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
I would say no.  Every one i've done (all 3 of them) were fantastically marked along the way with cops, volunteers, signs, paint on the ground, etc.  Other than preparing for the type of course, (hills, swim type, run surface) you should be all good.
I'm doing a race sunday and i won't bother checking the course aside from the online maps.
good luck,
steve
2009-07-08 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2268582

User image

Elite
Texas
Chicago_Joe - 2009-07-07 5:20 PM Quick question:

How crucial is it to inspect a course prior to a race? As you guys know I'm doing the Harbor Lights Sprint on the 19th in Waukegan, IL and don't think I'll have time to go all the way there prior to the race day. Any input would be much appreciated. Starting to get nervous and it's still 2 weeks away!

It's only crucial if the bike course is very technical and has some serious climbing or tricky descents. And then, the benefit is limited to one's ability to look at a course and think through the gearing strategy. I will say it's improtant to know if you have a hill right out of transition, like at Buffalo Springs IM 70.3. In that case you want to have your bike racked in a gear that you can climb in so you're not trying to shift and climb right out of transition.

Otherwise, it's a double edge sword. There's some benefit from getting out and seeing the course I suppose. My first recon of the BSLT course scared the cr*p out of me. I'd never ridden hills, and driving down the "spiral staircase" was scary enough. Biking down it (past the bloodied up riders who took the turns too fast) I was on the brakes most of the way.

2009-07-10 3:05 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend!

2009-07-10 7:40 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Thanks. I've never put all three sports together in a race before, but I'm going out to drop the hammer the whole way. It's a short sprint - 300m/10mi/2mi, so I figure I can throw together a pretty solid time.

Only thing that has me slightly concerned is the swim start. Any tips besides "roll with the punches?"

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26