BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-07-10 10:56 PM
in reply to: #2277330

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy
gran - 2009-07-10 7:40 PM Thanks. I've never put all three sports together in a race before, but I'm going out to drop the hammer the whole way. It's a short sprint - 300m/10mi/2mi, so I figure I can throw together a pretty solid time. Only thing that has me slightly concerned is the swim start. Any tips besides "roll with the punches?"

Just stay cool and expect to make contact with other swimmers. 300m you'll likely stay bunched together pretty good. If you can get a practice swim in, try swimming with your goggles under your swim cap. It's a different feel, but it makes it harder for them to get knocked off.

Have fun with it.

2009-07-11 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Two more quick questions:

1. Is the HR monitor for the Garmin 305 ok to swim with? I assume it is, but the manual doesn't say one way or the other

2. Should I bother with carrying my flat kit for such a short bike ride? I have an under the seat bag, and it probably won't make a time difference one way or the other, it just seems like I'd have less to worry about. I'm even debating riding without water. Should be a quick, violent ride.

I can't race with an iPod, but you can bet I'll have Rammstein on repeat in my head the whole time!!!

God DAMN I'm psyched!
2009-07-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2277908

User image

Elite
Texas
gran - 2009-07-11 8:33 AM Two more quick questions: 1. Is the HR monitor for the Garmin 305 ok to swim with? I assume it is, but the manual doesn't say one way or the other 2. Should I bother with carrying my flat kit for such a short bike ride? I have an under the seat bag, and it probably won't make a time difference one way or the other, it just seems like I'd have less to worry about. I'm even debating riding without water. Should be a quick, violent ride. I can't race with an iPod, but you can bet I'll have Rammstein on repeat in my head the whole time!!! God DAMN I'm psyched!

Not sure about the HR strap. I know it's water resistant, not certain about waterproof.

I'd probably carry the flat kit or at least one tube, one tire lever, and a CO2.

I'd take some water too. It's pretty hot out there.

GOOD LUCK!
2009-07-11 7:39 PM

New user
Gautier, MS
Subject: Triathlon #2 in the books..
Had my race this morning.  It went good.  I decided several weeks ago that this race was going to be about my wife (her first tri) so I put my training and such aside to work with her.  I went into the race planning to do well, but not to push myself too hard.  I did a tempo type pace for everything instead of a race pace.

The swim was really nice, and was a time trial start (5 sec interval) so it wasn't too crowded (600 yd, 11:00).  It was by age group (youngest to oldest), so the bad part about such a start is you come out of the water feeling good about yourself, then all of the stud bikers in the AG's older than you constantly blow by you.  I felt ok about my bike in the last race, but now I realized that it was because the better racers were in the earlier waves and I never saw them on the course.  I must have been passed 30 times today.  The course was very hilly, so it was tough on me.  We don't have hills on the MS gulf cost, so I am not trained for them.  These guys (and girls) would pass me like I was sitting still on a climb.  Then on the flats I would be crusing at 21-22 and they would zip on past like it wasn't anything.  It was impressive.  I averaged 17.7 on the bike, which considering the course, I was pretty happy with (17 miles, 56:55).  The run was on a nice path around a lake.  I ran at a pretty easy pace (3.1 miles, 28:08, 9:19 pace).  My transitions were pretty good... about middle of the pack or so.  1:39:06, 142/335 overall, 14/18 AG.  I think I could have shaved off 8-10 minutes had I pushed the pace on the bike and run, but that would have only gained me 3 spots in AG.  I just couldn't compete with these folks on the hilly bike course.

I was proud of my wife.  She pushed through it and finished, and wasn't DFL!  She swam good, which we expected because she had a bit of swimming in her past.  She was on a mountain bike, so the bike was tough on her, especially considering the hills.  But, she wasn't the slowest on the bike.  The run is where she struggled the most, which we knew would be the case.  She walk/ran it all.  But, she strided across the finish line like a pro!  She's feeling good this evening and I think she'll be game for doing another one again soon.  I can see a road or tri bike in her future if that is the case.   

I'll fill out a race report later.  Going for a beer and the couch right now!   
2009-07-12 10:58 AM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Subject: Officially a triathlete!!
Finished my first race today, and HOT DAMN did it go well!! I'm going to finish up the race report in a little bit, but long story short is I finished 20th out of about 135, and grabbed 3rd in my AG (20-29). yeah!

Swim start had me a little nervous, but I didn't get beat up much, just some bumping into others. It was a small event with no chip timing, so I had my buddy time my swim (5:25) and T1 (I can't believe it, but I did this in less than 30 seconds). It probably helped that the transition area wasn't bigger than 60 yds, but still...practicing those transitions ahead of time payed off.

Out on the ride I thought for a bit I was going to lose it, but I found my groove and averaged 19.47mph for the whole 10 miles. Definitely found out that the bike is my weakest event, and I knew going in that I didn't have as much time in the saddle as I would have liked. Either way, my bike split according to my Garmin was 30:47. Came in to T2 and lost the insole to my shoe when I pulled my foot out (didn't notice that til I got home, so that sucks). Bill, thanks for advising me to take water. I didn't drink much, but those few swigs definitely hit the spot!

T2 time: 34 seconds

On the run, it again took me a few minutes to get my legs, and finished with a respectable split of 15:17 for 2 miles. Would have like a shade faster, but given that I was about red-lined the whole way I'll take it.

I am officially hooked and can't wait for more! My wife and I were talking the other day about me getting a motorcycle or a tri bike. I think after today she knows what it's going to be.
2009-07-12 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
I love race reports.  They're real life.

Morton Plant Mease sprint this morning.  1000 individuals, another 100 in relay teams.  Heather Gollnick and Spencer Smith the most famous elite racers on board.

Swim: My first open water, a 1/3 mile (586y according to google) swim in the ocean paralleling the beach.  Over 70 clydes, and the 20-29 male AG starting with us.  Until the first buoy I was MOP, after that turn I went wide and flew.  Angled in for the last turn out of the water just a little early, but since I'd caught up with the previous wave it was a mess no matter what.  Long run off of the beach back into T1.
Didn't hit the lap button until leaving T1, so I don't know what the swim/run to transition/T1 times were, but total they were 15:26

Bike:  Three gigantic bridges, 2 small bridges, and 13mi of weaving through the center of Clearwater.  The three big bridges are .5mi long each, the highest reaching 74feet.
I was standing in the saddle for all three bridges.  It's humbling to see your MPH in the single digits for that.  Not knowing the bridges, I didn't get the most out the descent part because of caution.  Avg: 17.1 Max: 34.1.  Total time 40:51.

T2: 2:48

Run:  The first 1.5 miles on sand, but the bad soft kind.  Seriously, it's a clydesdales worst enemy.  My calves HURT during that part.  Hit the pavement for the second half- bang I'm off.
27:26.  8:51 avg, a new personal best.

Total time: 1:26:56, 13th in the clydesdales 39 and under group.  They haven't posted the results online yet.  Race report to come when that happens.

2009-07-12 1:14 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
STRONG work guys! Way to go!
2009-07-13 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

You guys are awesome!  Super races!!!

2009-07-13 10:08 AM

New user

Alright, my first race is coming up this Sunday and I'm starting to get pretty nervous primarily due to the swim. I can't imagine how I'm going to feel as the week progresses and come Sunday. Anyway, have a couple of random oddball questions:

1. Should I line up back and inside or back and outside for the swim?
2. What do I do if the wave behind me catches up? It's 4 minutes apart and it's guarenteed to happen especially at the 32 minutes on average that it takes me to do the 1/2 mile swim.
3. What the best stroke to use if I need a break? I tested out the on the side scissor kick and back stroke.

Lastly, what do your spouses/significant others do come race day? Do they wake up with you at 4:30 AM and go to the race or do they meet you there later?

Thanks,

Joe

2009-07-13 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2280845

New user
Gautier, MS
Chicago_Joe - 2009-07-13 10:08 AM

Alright, my first race is coming up this Sunday and I'm starting to get pretty nervous primarily due to the swim. I can't imagine how I'm going to feel as the week progresses and come Sunday. Anyway, have a couple of random oddball questions:

2. What do I do if the wave behind me catches up? It's 4 minutes apart and it's guarenteed to happen especially at the 32 minutes on average that it takes me to do the 1/2 mile swim.
3. What the best stroke to use if I need a break? I tested out the on the side scissor kick and back stroke.

Lastly, what do your spouses/significant others do come race day? Do they wake up with you at 4:30 AM and go to the race or do they meet you there later?

Thanks,

Joe

1.  I would recommend the back and towards the outside if you know you are going to be slower than most of the group.  You might have to swim a bit further because you aren't taking the best line, but you will be out of the pack.

2. Keep swimming.  They will likely catch you, but it doesn't matter, they will pass.  Just be ready to get bumped around a little.

3. Whatever works for you is the best stroke to use.  Breast stroke and back stroke are the most commonly used "rest" strokes from what I have seen.  Practice it some this week and see what lets you recover best.

4. My wife has done both.  If you live close or have a hotel close she can just walk down a little before.  If she is an early riser and doesn't mind coming down with you she can take in the whole experience (body marking, checking out transition, etc.). My wife hates to get up early, so she comes down before the start.

My $0.02 anyway...
2009-07-13 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago_Joe - 2009-07-13 9:08 AM

Thanks,

Joe

I usually start off in the back of the swim myself I don't have a preferance on outside or inside I tend to drift towards the middle.

I usually get passed by some of the swimmers in the next group no biggie just keep swimming. They'll most likely see you maybe not in time but they will see. You can't do an open water swim and not expect some sort of contact you'll probably hit a few people yourself. Extra points if you knock their goggles off! JK

I'd leave it up to the misses Tri's arent' always the most entertaining events to watch and you'll prbably be busy setting up your transition and stuff prior to the race.

2009-07-13 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Chicago_Joe - 2009-07-13 11:08 AM

Thanks,
Joe

1. Inside = crushed at buoy.  Outside = clear swimming lanes
2. It'll only be the fast ones catching you, and they DON'T want to bump you and lose speed.
3. Do try to simply slow way down while staying freestyle.  Like slow motion.  It's the least amount of energy spent and the most secure feeling for me.
Lastly- seriously, to keep your SO happy, tell he/she to show up about 30 min before your estimated finish time.  They'll cheer and not be hot/sweaty/bored.

Good luck!
2009-07-13 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
So how much recovery time after a sprint for everyone?
As in, I took today (monday) off, but I want to do a hard bike session (45min) tomorrow.  Too soon, no prob, what's your take?

steve
2009-07-13 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Thanks,

Joe

1.  Hmmm...  I'm a slow swimmer, and in my last race I lined up back and outside.  I didn't get run over as much as I thought I would.

2.  They caught up to me -- so what?  Just keep swimming, and when they run into you kick a little harder  -- just kidding.

3.  I like using the breaststroke, but that's always been a good stroke for me.  The best thing about it is that you can see where you are going.  But other swimmers don't like it because of the kick.

I have only been able to convince my husband to come to one race -- my first (and only!) HIM -- and that's because I didn't give him a choice.   I made hotel reservations, handed him the camera, and explained how important it was to me.  So when I got up at o'dark thirty on that morning, he got up and followed me around, snapping pictures and asking silly questions like "where should I stand to see you come out of the gulf" and "what time do you think you'll finish".   I tried to keep calm while also trying to keep him amused.  And he spent the whole time wandering around, spending many hours waiting to see me in transition.  So, yes, it is no fun for a spouse/significant other, so thank your lucky stars that she wants to see you do it! 

2009-07-13 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2282533

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
EvenOlder - 2009-07-13 7:29 PM

So how much recovery time after a sprint for everyone?
As in, I took today (monday) off, but I want to do a hard bike session (45min) tomorrow.  Too soon, no prob, what's your take?

steve

I ran a sprint on Sunday and I felt good to go today (but I rested). I would say it's all about your body and how you're feeling. I might recommend an easier recovery effort at first though. At least for me, sometimes I don't really feel beat down until I get out there and try to push it after a hard effort.
2009-07-13 9:22 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville

Thanks,

Joe

I brought my whole clan out to my first sprint. We only have one car so they came with me 1.5 hrs prior to race start. My 4 year old kept picking up my stuff in transition and asking if I needed it. I'd recommend having them show up just prior to the start. If you're like me you'll probably ignore them anyway and focus on the task at hand. Definitely a plus to have the support out there though.

2009-07-13 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2282533

User image

Elite
Texas
EvenOlder - 2009-07-13 7:29 PM So how much recovery time after a sprint for everyone?

steve

45 minutes shouldn't be an issue if that's what you want to do. If you were following a training plan with the sprint built in I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some intensity 48 hours later. For me that's generally enough time to recover from anything less than a 2 hour effort (as is the case with a sprint).
2009-07-13 10:37 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Lots's of good advice for Joe...

One thing I'll add. I spent my first 4 races hanging back and trying not to get run over on the swim. When I finally got comfortable with the idea of tring to draft I had my fastest swim ever on my longest swim up to that point (33:xx for 1.2 miles).

I guess my take is this. You're going to be around other people... you may as well be behind a person. And in so doing, you get a bit of a break in the draft and you use about 1/3 less energy by many estimates.

If you don't feel like you want to try that that's cool. It wasn't suggested to me until 90 seconds before the swim start. I was picking my spot to hang back and a BTer friend of mine said "just find some feet and hand on. Get in there!" So I did. And I best him out of the water. He smoked me on the bike and run, but still, the die was cast and I was cool about mass start OWS after that.

Honestly, even today whenever I go swim in open water it freaks me out a little if I stop and think about it. But it's also col to be doing something that used to be very difficult for me and actually enjoy it....
2009-07-14 5:40 AM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Dear House of Pain, I'm hittin the road for some work for the next ten days. 3 nights in San Diego, then I have to suck it up and deal with 6 nights in Honolulu.

Don't worry though, I packed my running gear and goggles. I'm pretty stoked about getting some OWS done in that crystal clear water next to my beach front hotel. Hey, sometimes the military has it's perks!

Aloha!

Jeff
2009-07-14 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
We're all too jealous to reply.
2009-07-15 12:36 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Man, it's like the whole world is drinking Haterade these days. I'm getting grief from my wife and other friends about my "business trip" too.

LOL - not tryin to rub it in, just stoked that the Corps is sending me somewhere I don't need body armor

2009-07-15 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Haterade I'll have to remember that one
2009-07-15 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2287227

User image

Elite
Texas
gran - 2009-07-15 12:36 PM Man, it's like the whole world is drinking Haterade these days. I'm getting grief from my wife and other friends about my "business trip" too. LOL - not tryin to rub it in, just stoked that the Corps is sending me somewhere I don't need body armor

Heh... enjoy. I had an even mix of rough deployments and "paid vacations" while I was in. You deserve it.
2009-07-15 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2287227

New user
Gautier, MS
gran - 2009-07-15 12:36 PM Man, it's like the whole world is drinking Haterade these days. I'm getting grief from my wife and other friends about my "business trip" too. LOL - not tryin to rub it in, just stoked that the Corps is sending me somewhere I don't need body armor

Yea, we are all pretty jealous!  My company has a refinery in Hawaii, but I haven't been lucky enough to go yet.  Maybe someday.  I did get two weeks in Italy last year.... I caught some flack over that one!

Have fun!
2009-07-16 7:10 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Mid-Season Check In:

So I figured this is a good time to check in and see how everyone's season is going. I have to say I've done a lot less mentoring on here than I had hoped. It's been a very busy year for me. I am trying to sort out a major career change. I resigned my position with the helicopter rescue service and I'm working full-time in hopsital in a pretty good gig that I can't do anywhere else. But we want to move to Austin. So I have to go back to school and get my RN so I can be employeed elsewhere without taking a huge paycut. The plan is to finish the RN, move to Austin, enroll in the University of Texas and get a B.S. in exercise science and enroll in the masters degree program for ex sci with and emphasis in nutrition.

Ultimately I want to get my level I & II USAT coaching certification. I can do level I now, but I want to come into it with that background and about 10 years of racing experience. (Aaron crammed 10 years of racing experience into 3 years, so he's one of a small percentage of USAT level I coaches I think have the experience to truly be effective in that role). 

From a training standpoint, I'm having my best season to date. I haven't raced in quite a while, but that's more a logistical issue than anything. And really, I'm looking at this year as a very long lead up to the 2010 race season. I let a lot of my base go to heal some chronic injuries last year. I feel great, I'm running pain-free for the first time in years, and I am getting a good base back. My goal is to finish an IM 70.3 in under 5 hours next spring. That's 90 minutes faster than my frst half IM in 2006, but it's not too much of a reach goal if I do the training. I'm tired of having too many degrees of separation between my potential and my performance. So I need to get the training in to get there. It's tough with three kids under 10 in the house. But I can make it happen.

Sooooo.... that's my deal. How's everyone else up to this point?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26