Vancouver Sun Run
8C / 46F
Overcast
Total Time = 37m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ran into my friend Pat on the bus with his parents on the way out to the run! Me and Carolyn hung out until about 20 minutes before the run when she left to her group (she had to take a month of running due to the severity of her shin splints, so she was walking from the start back to UBC, making sure to stay off pavement!).
Event warmup:

Knees up, bum kicks, 3 x 100m strides
Run
  • 37m 11s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 43s  min/km
Comments:

So as per usual, I started getting ready for the race TOO LATE. I left UBC with Carolyn at 7:25 and got there just after 8. I had LOTS of time to stand around and hang out with Carolyn, but didnt think I needed to check my gear early. BOY WAS I WRONG.

I get in the lineup for gear check at 8:30, and proceed to spend the next 23ish minutes standing in line with all my clothes in hand (minus my running shirt + shorts, get your mind outta the gutter :)) . Finally got my gear checked and ATTEMPTED to get on Georgia street. So much for that, I was stuck at one of the "on-ramps" to Georgia and couldnt even get on to the main strip before the start.

When I got to the start line, it was BRUTAL. I swear I started farther back then last year. Regardless, the first 4 km were like a fartlek workout; constantly changing pace, sprinting, SLOW, sprinting, SLOW. It really pissed me offffffff, but it's my fault. I spent that first 4 km swearing to myself increasingly louder, until it was clear that anyone within a 100m radius could hear me drop f-bombs. My first km was 3:48, my second slowest km :(

From about 4km on, I really pushed the pace and was never passed until the end.
Here are my splits from the race:

3:49
3:30
3:38
3:45
3:51
3:44
7:35 * For 2 kms, I missed the 7km mark as usual
3:44
3:32

I spent a lot of energy at the beginning of the run weaving through people, which, yet again, will teach me to avoid using gear check. I did feel pretty good for most of the run, but I know I definitely pushed my legs this past week. Overal, I'm not super happy with the result, but at least my timing chip stayed on :D I'm not sure if it's in the cards for me to do this race again, but we'll see since I'll actually be seeded next time.
What would you do differently?:

-Gear check earlier
-Taper (if the race was a big deal to me)
-Get to the front of my respective group right at the beginning of the race
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with all the guys from the UBC Tri club and we just chillaxed for a bit before bussing back to UBC!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-Hard week of training
-People everywhere!

Event comments:

Course is great and the event is really well run, but I dont think any run with 60,000 people in it could ever get a 5 in my books!

Last updated: 2009-04-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:11 | 10 kms | 03m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: From Georgia @ Thurlow to BC Place in a roundabout kinda way!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Vancouver Sun Run 10k

2009-04-19 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2095478

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Vancouver Sun Run 10k
Nice race Derek! I guess this means you'll be at the front next year where you belong!! A much better experience! Keep up the hard work.
2009-04-19 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2095478

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: Vancouver Sun Run 10k

Wow. That is fast man! Too bad about the begining, I'll be interested to see how you do again next year with the lessons learned this year. And biggest congrats of all, the CHIP STAYED ON!!!! Great job Derek!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver Sun Run 10k Rss Feed