General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your coldest swim and how did it go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-04-20 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2097221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Subject: RE: What's your coldest swim and how did it go?
bmcgee - 2009-04-20 11:23 AM
morganjohnson - 2009-04-19 6:48 PM So I just did the USAT Collegiate National Championship yesterday at Buffalo Springs in Lubbock, TX, and that water was FREEZING.  I remember thinking I would have sold members of my family to have sleeves on my wetsuit, and any trace of a racing strategy was wiped from my mind as soon as my face hit the water - it was pure survival instinct after that!  There were a number of people pulled out of the swim due to hypothermia, including one of my team members who was wearing a full wetsuit.  It took me 4 minutes to get out of my wetsuit in transition because I couldn't feel my hands or feet - when I tried to step out I tripped over my own feet, and when I tried to pull it off, I couldn't get a hold of the material because my hands were completely useless.  And this was in TEXAS!  I know you northerners must have some intense cold water swim stories.

55 degrees in Lake Dray, Arkansa this past weekend.  It was hella-Cold!!  Did you know the water was going to be this cold?  if so, did you train in cold-open-water??

No and no!!  We were told the water temps should be around 65 this time of year.  WRONG!  65 I totally could have done - I've surfed in about those same temps, and knew I could handle it.  This was WAY colder.

2009-04-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2097377

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
rxman - 2009-04-20 12:12 PM I will be swimming in the same lake as Morgan in two weeks. The outside temperature at race start was 38 degrees. My race in 2 weeks should have a temp in the upper 50s. I'm guessing the lake will be the same temp though. What gear do I need? Neoprene cap, earplugs and maybe some vaseline? I've never worn booties. Do I need them?

Definitely bring the cap and ear plugs.  I would have killed for a Neoprene cap on Saturday.  Hopefully they won't have anymore rain and the water will be a little warmer for you.  I'd get in the day before and determine what you need.  I wish I had.
2009-04-20 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2095834

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Last year's Keuka Lake tri was the coldest race that I've done.  I recall it was 58 degrees.  I had a full-body wetsuit.  I also got a neoprene "bombers" cap that ties under your chin.  I put the issued race cap over top of it. 

I'm not normally one for cold.  I am usually the first person to start shivering in the pool if we all stop.  I really dislike cold water. 

In the days leading up to the race, I was really, really concerned about the cold.  I did a couple of trial runs in a similar lake.  I think this was a huge benefit come race day, as it was not a complete shock at racetime. 

Also in these practice swims, I tried on some booties.  I found they actually slowed me down and didnt help keep my feet warm.  They quickly filled up with water and just kind of acted like weights.  I did not wear them in the race.

Before my race started, I did get in the water and swam maybe 200 yards.  It was imperative to get my face in the water and let my body adjust to the cold.  This allowed my heart rate to settle back down and avoid the panic that can set in when first hitting the cold water.

I ended up having a PR swim.  I would never have expected it, but I did.  I was definitely chilly, but once I got moving was fine temp wise.  My feet did get a touch numb, but they were fine by the time I was on the bike.

I believe the the key things from my experience were this:  1) get in the water before your race.  Don't have the first time your face is in the water be when the gun sounds.  This will very likely shock your system and elicit a panic response.  2) A full body wetsuit is a big help.  A neoprene cap also was very nice.  Even using 2 of the issued swim caps will help keep your head warm.   3)  I did not find booties to be helpful.  The opposite, actually.  4) The more times you can spend getting acclimated to cold water, the less shocking it will be come race day. 

2009-04-20 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Coldest I've ever had was in the mid 50's for Escape from Alcatraz and the Oceanside 70.3.  I went with a full wetsuit and a neoprane swim cap.  I had no issues in either and had quick transitions to the bike.  Me feet were a little numb for the first couple of miles on the bike, but I just wiggled them some and they quickly warmed up.  As long as you have a full wetsuit and possibly a neoprane swim cap you should be fine.  Good luck. 

2009-04-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2097192

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Coldest in a race was this last Sat. at 59 degrees.  I felt fine after I got going.

I'm glad I was comfortable.  I'm not as worried about the 55 degrees of SF bay now.  Planning on a neoprene hood, but that's about the only change.

Edited by Aikidoman 2009-04-20 1:59 PM
2009-04-20 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I too am a Spirit of Racine Sprinter...it was absolutely horrible.  I almost started crying in my goggles.  My face never entered the water...I side stroked/tarzan swam the whole thing....everytime I tried to put my face in, I hyperventilated. Not good...but it was incentive to get the hizell out of that water as fast as I could.

2009-04-20 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Last summer - early June - training swim in the Aurora Reservoir.
Some fishfinder website put the water temp at 51 that day.
I had a sleeveless wetsuit, no booties, and an insulated swim cap.
After the initial shock of swimming that first 200 yards out and back, my face,
arms, and feet went numb. I swam about 800 yards total, then went and warmed
up in the sun on the beach. I think I'll wait until the temp is around 65 before doing
that again.
2009-04-20 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Just informed that the water was 53 degrees for us Collegiate Nationals folks - and the only thing I had was a sleeveless wetsuit.  Very unpleasant.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your coldest swim and how did it go? Rss Feed  

of 2