General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Finish Strong
Total Time = 1h 14m 2s
Overall Rank = 35/138
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/22
Pre-race routine:

Did most of the packing the night before as is normal. Got up about 5:50 for a light breakfast. Filled the water bottles, finished the packing, loaded the wife and off we went.
Event warmup:

Didn't feel like hopping in the water to warm up. I hate cold water and the less time I spend in it the better.
Swim
  • 13m 18s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

The reason I was keeping my head down pre-race was because, after 6 years of races, I must have completely screwed up the registration process. I managed, apparently, to give myself a great projected swim time, resulting in me being seeded to be the first swimmer. Idiot. Fortunately, it was a matt timed system, so they let me move back in the pack. But I still had to explain myself to about a dozen people who kept trying to get me to move to the front of the line.

I ended up moving to about 35 or so in the line, which turned out to be about right.

The swim started with a dive off the dock. I managed to do that pretty well and even kept the goggles on. Then the shock of the cold hit and it was tough to keep my breath. After about 100 yards the wetsuit had warmed the layer of water and it was bearable. I tried drafting off the guy who went ahead of me, but decided to go ahead and go around him. Then, I caught the girl ahead of him and decided to swim easy and draft off her. That worked for a while. We passed several people who were bobbing along, probably having made the same mistake I made.

Eventually, the girl I was drafting off got closer than I would like to a guy who was doing breast stroke. I've been in enough of these races to avoid those guys like the plague. Nothing like getting a breast stroke kick in the face or gut. Anyway, once I swam wide of that, the girl got ahead of me and I never did re-build the draft. Oh well, nothing hurt. I just plodded along to the finish of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Set my time appropriately. Not be an idiot.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

T1 stunk. This is only my 3rd wetsuit race, and one of the others had wetsuit strippers. First, I couldn't get the dang thing off me. Don't know how long I struggled. Then, the sole of my bike shoes kept bunching up. All the while I'm feeling dizzy so I had to sit down.

The dizziness happens in the first few races every year. Not sure why. I might just go without wetsuit next time. The time it saves in the water is not worth the agony of getting it off. Or, I could practice getting the wetsuit off...
Bike
  • 33m 22s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

The total of 40 miles of bike training this year produced the expected results. I managed a faster speed last year when doing centuries than I did today on a 10.5 mile course. And my legs were burning the whole time.

The course itself was pretty good. The pavement was great except for about a mile or so on Avent Ferry.

Train? That's an idea.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

This went a little better, but I had to move somebody's bag because it was in my slot. And somebody else left their mountain bike in the middle of the lane.

Not much.
Run
  • 22m 49s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually thought I would do better during the run than I did. I've actually done a fair amount of training in this area. Unfortunately, the lack of bike training led me to burn my legs there. It took my almost a mile before my legs felt good, and then it was time to hit the big hill.

In most races, I pass a lot of people during the run, but in this one I only passed a few and probably got passed by just as many. I think I'm getting old.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, gatorade, and a pancake.

I felt bad for the wife, since she was constantly hearing, "Where's number 1?" and didn't feel like explaining to everyone why I shouldn't have that number in the first place. Ah well, lesson learned.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Or, lack of training.

Last updated: 2009-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:18 | 820 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 29/138
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Easy triangle course with two right turns.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:22 | 10.5 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/22
Overall: 44/138
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:49 | 03.1 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 40/138
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-20 11:46 AM

User image

Apex, NC
Subject: Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon

2009-05-13 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2097311

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon
Funny story about the being the #1 seed. In wetsuit races, I always search for a spot right out of the water and out of everyone's way where I can sit down and take the suit off easily, then run with it in my arms to transition. Great job at Riverwood too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Centennial Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed