General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
50shF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 24s
Overall Rank = 107/587
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/31
Pre-race routine:

This race took place on Saturday, right now it’s Tuesday afternoon and the timing company still does not have the split times sorted out. They have my T2 and 5k times, the other times I’m guessing on, based on past performance and what my bike computer said. I’m sick of waiting, so I’m posting this now. I wrote this RR on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon after the event.

This was the third time I had competed in this race. In 2007 I finished in 1:30:50 and in 2008 I finished in 1:24:36. I had a few goals for this race. I wanted to beat last year’s time by a substantial margin and finish in the top 15%. Last year I completed this race one week after running a ½ mary. My legs weren’t fresh and it was not my best performance. This year I was certain I could go sub 1:20 and thought 1:15 might be just within my reach as well given my fitness gains and tri bike.

Brue and I drove the RV to Oxford and parked on the street the night before. We had many drunken college guys screaming to help us stay up late into the night. I finally drifted off to sleep about 11:30. At 2:30am a train came rumbling through town a few blocks away. That woke me up. At 3:30am two frat boys put a for rent sign on the back of my RV. One of them must have been deaf because even though they were standing 2 feet from each other they had to scream to hear each other. Maybe they were both deaf. I stayed awake until about 5:00am then dozed for about 30 minutes. The alarm clock went off at 5:30 and Brue and I got up.
I made coffee and got dressed. We took our bikes over to transition and racked them, set up our stuff then went back to the RV and changed into racing attire.

Event warmup:

Back at the transition area we ran into David (newbz) and chatted with him for a few minutes. We headed into the pool and I did a 200 warm up. Then I jumped into the last lane and practiced exiting the pool a few times. Later on the pool deck I ran into Lora (lkagop), Keith (keith-og) and Kate (k watzek).
Swim
  • 06m 53s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a time trial start. I was roughly number 129 in the pool. I did a huge cannonball to start. After a few strokes the guy behind me slapped my toes. This pissed me off so I took about 5 or 6 good hard strokes and then remembered that I didn’t start my watch. I kicked hard while I started the watch, then I was really off. People were supposed to seed themselves on how fast their swim times were. Either they did a bad job or I did. I passed the guy in front of me in the first 30 meters. I passed another guy at 75 meters who was wearing green beach style swim trunks and doing the breaststroke. In all I passed 8-9 people and got passed by none.
As I was nearing the pool exit there was one more athlete in front of me. He took his sweet time getting out of the pool, I actually ran into him. He had gotten to the wall several seconds before me and we were out of the pool at the same time. I hit the pool deck, hollered “on your left,” and breezed by him on the way to T1. A look at my watch said 6:40, but it was probably 5-10 seconds slow.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I had a great swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I passed up a few people in T1 as I was running and they were walking. I sat down to put on my socks and shoes, grabbed my bike and helmet and started to take off. Then I realized my helmet had been sitting on my bars right side up. I had put it on the bars up-side-down with my sunglasses in it. I found my sunglasses on the ground next to my spot on the rack. Apparently someone had knocked off my helmet and just set it back on my bike.

Nothing. I'm giving this T1 an average rating because of the helmet incident. I should have realized the helmet was not as I had set it up. It cost me a few seconds to get the sunglasses.
Bike
  • 41m 34s
  • 12.74 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I mounted up and hit the road. The first 4-5 miles were uneventful. I was having a difficult time getting my HR down, it was up about 175 for the first 3 miles and I was not pushing that hard, maybe 15-16 MPH. About mile 4 it finally settled down. It dawned on me about mile two that this was the third time I'd done this race and each time I had done it on a different bike. The first year it was my first roadie which got totaled in a accident the next month (a car rear ended my car on the way to a race, my bike was on back). The second year I did it on my replacement, the same make and model bike as the one that got totaled. This year was my triathlon bike. That means I'm averaging one new bike each season.
I hit the first good size hill at mile 5 and powered up it. I saw a biker walking down the hill with his bike. It turned out to be newbz, he’d gotten a flat and was unable to continue.(Later he told me he’d pulled out a 1.5” thorn from his tire. I thanked him for getting it off the course for the rest of us.)
I passed several people on the bike and got passed by several. One guy I passed passed me right back, so I decided I had to dust him on the next hill. I didn’t see him again after that. I mostly stayed in aero, took the hills as hard as I felt I could and tried to come out with a 20+mph average. I averaged 18.38 MPH. My max speed was 41 MPH doing down a hill. It was really fun and a little scary being all tucked in at 40+.
As I made the last turn I took my feet out of my shoes and made a textbook rolling dismount into T2 saying "Cheese" to the people pointing cameras at me.

Nothing. A great bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I made one small tactical error in T2. I racked my bike on one side of the rack and then had to run all the way around the rack to get to my running shoes. Other than that, a great T2.

See above.
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I exited T2 like a jack rabbit. Actually I came out too fast, but I was really excited and my legs felt good. Also, I might have been trying to impress the cute co-eds by the transition exit. :) After the first 1/4 mile I slowed it down a bit and got into a nice groove. I think I did the first mile in about 8:35.
I ran down a few people, got run down my many more and kept my HR right at the red line. I saw Brue on the course and talked smack to him (there was no way I could have caught him, the guy’s a runner after all. I just like to talk a little bit of smack.)
Over all this was a really good run. It's a PR for a 5k, either in a race or solo. I’m paying for it now though, my legs really hurt.

Nada.
Post race
Warm down:

Uhhhh, does drinking beer 7 hours later count?

After I finished up Brue and I cheered on Kate and Lora as they went out on their runs and again as they came back in to finish. We all chatted a bit with newbz, Keith and Bananatoes. It was really nice finally putting a face with a (screen)name. Kate, her husband David, Brue and I all got a bite and a beer at Mac & Joe’s afterward.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. The stars lined up on this one. I had a great race.

Event comments:

I’ve crunched the numbers. I came in 107 of 587 finishers and over 600 starters. That means that of the finishers I was in the top 18.2%, of the starters it was >17.8%. I PR’ed the course by 8:12, a 9.7% improvement over last year and 15.9% the year before. I missed the top 15% by 3.2% or 19 places. I would have had to finish in less then 1:14:55 or 1:29 faster to be in 88th place and have made the top 15%. Thinking about it I don’t know where I could have cut 89 seconds. I was red lining my HR the entire way. As dead as my legs are today (the day after) I know I pushed it just as hard as I could. I think the keys for next year will be to improve my climbing on the bike and improve my run. I’ve squeezed just about all I can out of my swim, but there is still plenty of room for improvement in my run and bike. I’d also like to get down to 190lbs, 12 lbs lighter then I am now.

So I think next years goals are: 1.) Get that sub 40 min bike split. 2.) Run a sub 25 min 5k. 3.) Finish under 1:13:00 and in the top 15%.

In years past the post race food has been much better than this year. I love this race and will keep coming back but how about going back to the six-foot subs of yore? You don't get a body like mine by eating crackers, bananas and water post race.

I really enjoyed meeting some BTers at this race. It's nice seeing familiar faces at events and having the camaraderie and people to cheer for. I hope to see you all again this summer.

Last updated: 2008-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:53 | 437 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/587
Performance: Good
Suit: 1 piece tri suit
Course: Pool swim, 8x50 meter lengths, serpentine
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:34 | 12.74 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: One lap of a very hilly route.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:41 | 03.11 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Course: Mostly flat through the quad and dorm area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-21 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2009-04-21 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2100081

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
David, you just kicked some major patuttie!  You just must feel so great improving year after year.  That really is an incredible time improvement.

Yeah, there were clearly some people who shouldn't have been up front in the swim.

Really, really great time on the bike and the run.  I'm just in awe.

What a way to start the season!!!

2009-04-22 4:44 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Congrats on the PR David!  Great job out there!!!
2009-04-22 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Your running is awesome!  The whole tri was a great performance.
Looks like you need a stand alone 5k now so you can set an even more smashing PR. 
2009-04-22 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Awesome race, David - u rocked it! I don't like pool swims because of the fact that people don't submit good times and it's just always a big mess in the lanes. Just human nature I guess. You have an RV? Cool way to travel to races...well, except for the frat boys yelling in the middle of the night! Oh, and I always bring my own snacks for post race food because you never know what they are going to serve, and if it will meet your needs for recovery. A PBJ sandwich, something salty, something sweet and a bottle of Boost!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed