General Discussion Race Reports! » Magic City Duathlon (formerly WhistleStop) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Magic City Duathlon (formerly WhistleStop) - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Birmingham, Alabama
United States
Team Magic
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Arrived about an hour and a half early, set up my transition area. Lanes Seemed a little narrow. No biggie.
Event warmup:

Took a short ride on the bike to make sure all was in order...walked through transition sequence. About 30 minutes out I decided to run the run course for a slow warm-up ran and did so....arrived back just as we were being called to the starting line since they decided to start the race early. Not sure when they decided that but I could have very easily missed my start time.
Run
  • 19m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well. Slightly faster than I planned but felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Not forget my HR monitor.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Transitions were timed with the Bike split which I think sucks. So my transition data is from my stop watch. Had some problem getting in my shoes. Expected for the first race of the season.

Nothing
Bike
  • 38m 50s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Worst bike course ever. Potholes, cracks, holes, broken pavement, gravel, and one hill over a bridge that had 90 degree turns at the bottom. This was the most hazzardous bike course I think I have ever been on. Watched one dude lose it on the broken pavement at the bottom of the hill. I decided at that point to slow waaaay down. Very windy which made it tougher.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Just short of T2 was the turn around point for the first lap. A race volunteer directed me to go straight just as another directed a girl to turn and she almost turned into me. On the way out race volunteers were standing in trhe transition exit really not paying attention so I had to actually move around them to avoid running into them since they were pre occupied having a good time...geeze...
Run
  • 06m 19s
  • 1 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Was pretty frustrated as I started...just wanted this race to be over. Realized at the finishline I probably could have run sub 6 minutes.....pacing.... my achilles heel.

Run faster.
Post race
Event comments:

Overall I have to say that this was the worse race I have ever particpated in. I have several reason for this.

#1 Bike Course. Terrible. I think the idea of a race in downtown Birmingham sounds nice on paper but in my opinion it was a train wreck. The turns, the rough and broken pavement, and the 90 degree turn at the bottom of a 25+ mph downhill with cracked pavement and gravel, made for the WORST bike course I have ever raced on. The run courses were not an issue.

#2 Post Race. Initially the results were posted and I was listed as 3rd AG. At the awards ceremony that was given to someone else... but the official results have been changed back and I'm listed as third place....WTF... Is it a big deal?….yes, especially after the cost of races and the amount of time we invest. Allowing only one trip through the post race food line I also thought was pretty damn cheap especially when I see race volunteers moving in and out freely with plates of pizza and sodas.

#3. Volunteers. Although there were plenty.... as a matter of fact more than I have seen at another race of this size, although not the majority, many just seemed to be preoccupied with making it some kind of street party. I think all race directors need to remember quality over quantity....many volunteers in the transition area were more of a hindrance than help.

This above all added insult to injury. After the race I am collecting my equipment I realize I am missing my wallet…..after searching my truck and bags several times I go to the race registration area and ask if it had been turned in. Of course the answer was no….I go begin to retrace my steps remembering I put my wallet in my transition bag and now realize I am also missing it. Some f*cker stole my bag. At this point everything is being dissembled and of course no one really gives a shit. Bitterly, I get in my truck and begin the trip home. On the way I call the bank to report my wallet and credit cards stolen I find out the thief has already used my debit card to purchase over $800 at three separate Wal-marts, and used my credit card to buy gas. Did I mention I was left with $15 to get back to Atlanta with, yea that was a nice touch. All of this happened within the span of about 3 hours. Yes that happened..... Don't think I'll be racing in (or going to for that matter) Birmingham Alabama again anytime soon

Last updated: 2009-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:48 | 03 miles | 06m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: 1 Loop course with several turns through downtown Birmingham.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:38:50 | 12 miles | 18.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/12
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2 loop course through Downtown Birmingham.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:06:19 | 01 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-04-22 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: Magic City Duathlon (formerly WhistleStop)

2009-04-22 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2102613

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Magic City Duathlon (formerly WhistleStop)

Holy crap. That totally sucked!! Sorry it was such a bad race and all of that happend to you!! You still had great times!

2009-04-22 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA

Someone STOLE your transition bag and used your credit cards?  Holy crap!  That is just awful.  I would have never thought a triathlete would do something like that.  Maybe it's just those duathletes (joke!). 

Sorry for such a crappy race, but AWESOME performance!!  Just stay overe here in GA from now on

2009-04-22 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Jeez Louise!  First you get robbed of your 3rd place AG award then you really get robbed.  experience but great job on the race!  Hopefully all the bad stuff that could happen for the season did and you're in the clear!
2009-04-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2103158

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

So third place was not enough to cheer you up after getting your wallet stolen.  I hate to hear that for you.  Good job in the race though.

2009-04-30 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Not bitter at all.  And I mean that seriously.  

That sounds like a crappy event all around.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Magic City Duathlon (formerly WhistleStop) Rss Feed