Eastside Runners
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 40m
Overall Rank = 93/115
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Starbucks at 530 AM! Met up with the team at 545 at a park n ride, headed to the starting line.
Event warmup:

Chelsie was the first runner and didn't warm up. Race started right on time at 630.
Run
  • 8h 40m
  • 57 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This is from my blog on the upcoming LUNA Chix national website, going live April 30:

The Mt. Si Relay is a 57-mile run broken down into 10 legs, which are run by a 5-person team. The LUNA Chix Team consisted of Chelsie Drews (legs 1 and 6), Sue Rogers (legs 2 and 7), Sara Sitter from Portland LUNA Chix (legs 3 and 8), Marne Sall (legs 4 and 9) and Leslie Barber (legs 5 and 10). Chelsie, Sue, and Marne had all done this race before, so their words of wisdom on the routes were welcomed! Chelsie did the first leg, starting the race at 6:30 AM, completing more than 8 miles in just over an hour! There are a few legs which involve a ton of climbing—as an example, even though I saw on the map that leg 5 was uphill, it was hard to believe just how much uphill that really was while in the midst of the run—nearly 6 of the 6.3 miles were uphill with no flats or downs. Leg 7 also had a huge elevation gain—we saw a few runners finish who were not in good shape by the end (which involved at least one close call with someone losing their lunch), but Sue did awesome and was looking great at the transition.

Getting from one transition to the next is an adventure in itself—while one runner is out on the trail, the rest of the team are following maps and driving around to get to the next transition point in time to warm up and meet the runner. We had a couple of transitions that happened before the next runner was ready—on leg 2, Sue had a blazing fast time and the next runner was still in the porta-potty, and leg 3 had been shortened by a couple of miles, so Sara was back before we were expecting her. Luckily Marne was ready to go and headed on down to the next transition without too much stress and had a really great pace. The run is so much fun—there were a lot of teams participating, and everyone roots for everyone, making it a really fun all-day event. There is also a 50k and a 50-mile ultra run happening at the same time—it is inspiring to see the people who have been out running all day pass by and get huge cheers from the crowd.

After finishing the run (in 8 hours, 40 minutes), we were all in agreement that the first leg we each ran was the easiest….there’s something about sitting around for 4 or 5 hours waiting to run that makes it just a little harder to get up and go….but we all definitely enjoyed the camaraderie, the scenery, the food, and being able to run a unique race in the most amazingly gorgeous part of the northwest. It was my first event as a LUNA Chix team member, and I thoroughly enjoyed it—I can’t wait for the next event!

Post race

Last updated: 2009-04-22 12:00 AM
Running
08:40:00 | 57 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/115
Performance:
I ran legs 5 and 10. Leg 5 was 6.3 miles, 6 of which were uphill with NO flats or downhills! Total time 1 hour. I had a pretty nice pace. Leg 10 was totally flat, 3.4 miles back to North Bend. Total run time was 31 minutes. I was pretty tired, and by now it was really warm out!
Course: Gorgeous, all around the North Bend, Carnation, Rattlesnake Lake area. Amazing views, rivers, bridges, trails. The ultra runners crossed paths with the relays a few times, which was really fun! Got to see Tory twice during the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-22 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: Mt. Si Relay

2009-04-22 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2102633

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Mt. Si Relay

LUNA Chix Team:  Leslie, Chelsie, Sue, Sara, Marne

LUNA-mobile

Praying that leg 5 was not all uphill.  Leg 5 was all uphill!

A quick hug for Tory, who was running the 50k.

Waiting for our runner, self-portrait.

After the race, with Tory (teechur).....it felt good to be done, but I will bet it was better for her!

2009-04-22 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Great race, Leslie! Sounds like you totally toughed it out on that uphill (I can't even imagine six miles of straight uphill) and did your team proud. That race sounds like soooo much fun. I've always wanted to do a relay!

Also: you look adorable in your Luna Chix top.
2009-04-22 1:53 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Sounds like you had an awesome time Leslie, even with leg 5 being uphill!

Great pics, great race and a great report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mt. Si Relay Rss Feed