Tri Scottsdale
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 16s
Overall Rank = 85/484
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/139
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 a.m., ate part of power bagel with peanut butter and bagel. Got things ready. Ate last part of bagel at 5:00 a.m. Left the house at 5:25 and arrived in plenty of time. Had bike racked by 5:45 a.m. Transition area included a black balloon tied to my TYR bag. Hung around with Denise and Karen; got camera from car as I realized I could take their photos as they raced at 7:00 a.m. and I didn't race until 8:15. Used porta potties three times during morning.
Event warmup:

None, really. Meant to jog a little and stretch, but got caught up in visiting with other athletes.
Swim
  • 11m 53s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was completely deflated when I saw the swim result. I really thought I rocked the swim. I did not rest at all, I didn't see anyone pass me, and I went around several swimmers. Dean said he timed me at 10:20, which was closer to my goal of doing the swim in under 10 minutes. I can't believe the run to transition took 90 seconds, but if so, then nearly everyone else is still a much faster swimmer than me, which could easily be the truth.
What would you do differently?:

I lost some time touching each end of the pool and ducking under the lane lines. Dean suggested I swim under the lane lines next time instead. Also need to learn to push off much harder.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No time on T1 or T2 as they are wrapped into the bike split. But I did use some strategy here. Since it's a short race, I used platform pedals and therefore only had to change shoes once. Another part of my strategy was to NOT use any timing devices, so I didn't have to turn them on or put them on. I also strapped a black helium balloon to my gear bag and it was very easy to see my spot. I didn't lose any time in transition.

MAYBE learn to run without socks so I wouldn't have to put socks on my wet feet. Someday I will also have to learn how to do a flying dismount.
Bike
  • 29m 18s
  • 8 miles
  • 16.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I really can't believe that the bike was my strongest leg, but there it is! I really hammered. One lady passed me directly at the beginning of the bike leg, and I thought it was the lady I had sprinted out of the pool to beat. I spent the rest of the leg trying to catch her, but never did (turns out she wasn't the same lady after all). Only one other woman passed me -- on a Scott Plasma. That was OK with me. I passed several ladies. Noticable headwind going up Alma School, but got the tailwind going down Arizona Ave.

Still need to slow down too much on corners. Need to learn how to turn a tighter corner without slowing as much.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Just racked my bike, took off my helmet,spent half a second wondering if there was anything else. There wasn't so I ran out of there. I wasn't quite sure where to go, but someone quickly directed me.

I had looked at the transition area for bike in and out, but I forgot to figure out in advance where the run out was. I need to find that out in advance next time.
Run
  • 17m 5s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really bummed that women passed me on the run. Usually my run is my strong suit. But almost immediately I experienced side stitches on my left side. I just kept going. Dean said I looked slow on the track, although a sub-9 is pretty good for me.

I think the Garmin would have helped in this situation. I think I could have pushed just a little more had I known
Post race
Warm down:

None. Just stood around and talked for a while. Stretched at home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speed conditioning on the run.

Event comments:

I had prepared myself for the worst because I had heard bad things about last year's race. But it turned out very well organized and fair. Medals a little chintzy, but it is a fund raiser and not every tri gives medals in the first place. A good season opening event, although I'm glad I raced my all. Otherwise it would be too short.

Last updated: 2009-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:53 | 400 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 89/139
Overall: 292/484
Performance: Below average
Suit: ESCKTC top and Zoot tri shorts
Course: Serpentine through 50m pool, steps out of pool, 1/10th mile run to transition on concrete
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:18 | 08 miles | 16.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/139
Overall: 65/484
Performance: Good
Dean said that he timed me at an average speed of 18 mph.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 loops of 4 miles each. City streets coned off from traffic. All right-hand turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:05 | 02 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/139
Overall: 112/484
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops around the high school property plus one and a quarter laps around the high school track. Was billed as 2.25 miles; if it was only two miles, then that's about right for the time.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-22 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Subject: Tri For The Cure

2009-04-23 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2103941

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Tri For The Cure

Congrats on a great race Kim! Sounds like you had a fun day. The serpentine style pool swims are hard, I have a difficult time getting under the lane lines too!

Well done!

2009-04-23 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

All in all a sucess. You met the number one goal of less than an hour. Good way to start the season. I usually do not wear socks for sprints or Olys.

2009-04-23 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Sounds like a pretty solid race, great job Kim!

2009-04-24 10:23 AM

User image

Regular
gilbert

good job! sounds like you had a good time And A great bike ride!

2009-04-27 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job! And I feel your pain...I got the worst side stitches of my life on the run which is also my strongest event usually...it killed my run time....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri For The Cure Rss Feed