Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 21s
Overall Rank = 79/145
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up a little late. We didn't arrive at the hotel until 11:30 which means we got to bed around 12:15-12:30. Woke up around 5:30. Jumped in the shower to wake up. Grabbed a bite to eat - bagel with peanut butter. I usually don't eat breakfast, so this was new to me, but I knew I had to get something in my stomach.
Event warmup:

Really did not do much of a warmup with the exception of getting in the water early to check out the temp. Took a few strokes and all of a sudden panic set in. This was only my second open water swim ever and the first time, I totally freaked! I am a good swimmer, but with the limited visibility, I began to panic. The first time I breaststroked the entire 1000m of an XTERRA race. (Luckily breaststroke was my specialty with I swam competitively.) I did it in 22 min. This time, I told myself to just relax. This seemed to work. Coming back in, I felt much better.
Swim
  • 27m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sighting was minimal as I was swimming in a straight line for most of the race. I started getting a little offline when I started to get a little tired, but I told myself to focus on technique and corrected that quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Push it a little harder. Swim did not even phase me.
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

T1 was slow for a couple reasons. There was a long run between the swim exit and transition. I knew coming in this was not going to be a fast transition. During my last OWS, I struggled with my wetsuit and I said that was not going to happen again. I was deliberate, but did not waste any extra time or energy getting it off.

Do more OWS to work on wetsuit removal.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 48s
  • 24 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I did not want to push the bike too hard. My goal was 1hr. 20 min. I beat that by 8 min. I felt real good on the bike and after. I was passed by some guys who were just much better cyclist than I. I have no regrets with that. I'll just have to put in more time than them as my training continues.

Push the bike a little harder. I held back quite a bit in preparation for the run, especially on the hills. Normally, I charge up them. Instead I just spun up them. Oh well. 19.7 is good for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Decent transition. I had to tie my shoe laces which took some time.

Get some Yanks!
Run
  • 51m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me. I told myself I was going to hold way back to prevent any more injury to my Achilles. My legs felt okay the entire time. I started to develop a side stitch at mile 2.5 and I looked down and my HR was pushing 180. That is way to high. I slowed down a bit to bring my HR back down. I did not like the end of the run. Setup is just cruel. Towards the end of the run, you ran right past the finish line, thinking your run was over~ Nope! You still had another just over 3/4 a mile left! I am not a runner. It was the best I had today. With more training, it will improve.

Train properly. Try not to get hurt while training so I can run a faster pace.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Hung out under the shelter and drank three bottles of water and ate some fruit snacks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being only my second season~ experience on the bike. Achilles tendinitis caused me to shorten my runs and sometimes not run for a week at a time. My original goal for this race was 2:30. When I injured my Achilles, I changed that to 2:40 to go slower on the run. I know I could have gone faster on the swim, bike, and run. Lesson learned. It was my first olympic and my third race ever so I'm happy.

Event comments:

Overall very happy with this race. Everything was well run by Setup Events. They definitely know what they are doing.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:54 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 36/145
Performance: Good
Suit: XTERRA
Course: L -shaped course with a bunch of turns.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:48 | 24 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Overall: 81/145
Wind: None
Course: Great course. It had some good climbs and some fast downhills. I enjoyed it. Two loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:52 | 06.21 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Overall: 95/145
HR was in the 170-180's the entire run.
Course: Out and back, not much to it. On the "out" section, it looked like the back section was slightly downhill. On the "back" section, it looked like that was going downhill. Hmm, maybe I didn't drink enough and that caused some halicinations!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-25 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Subject: Langley Pond Triathlon

2009-04-25 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2110058

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Langley Pond Triathlon
Nice race!

I liked the bike course too. The downhill section was super-fast!
2009-04-26 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Did it seem like the swim was a bit long or just me?

FM
2009-04-26 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2111238

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
You know, I can't say only because that is only my second OWS ever.  I know in a pool just cruising, I average under 2:00 per 100.  I tried to keep that pace yesterday and came out in 27:00.  If it was long, I'm really pumped!  That just gets me closer to my Augusta distance.  I have a swim background so, it did not bother me much.
2009-04-26 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2111238

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
You know, I can't say only because that is only my second OWS ever.  I know in a pool just cruising, I average under 2:00 per 100.  I tried to keep that pace yesterday and came out in 27:00.  If it was long, I'm really pumped!  That just gets me closer to my Augusta distance.  I have a swim background so, it did not bother me much. 2nd time ever swimming in a wetsuit too.  My shoulders are kind of sore today.  I think it is from the resistance while reaching in the suit.  Normally I don't have any soreness after a swim that length.

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2009-04-26 8:33 PM
2009-04-26 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Sorry, for the dp.  I hit the button before I finished typing.

2009-04-28 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I think you did fantastic!  You laid down some beautiful times.  Try pulling the wetsuit up more in the crotch - as high as you can. That will loosen the pull on the arms.  I had the same issue first time.  This fixed it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Pond Triathlon Rss Feed