Finalstretch Inc
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 25s
Overall Rank = 11/131
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

PB toast for breakfast. This was a 9 am start and pretty close to home, so didn't have to get going at the crack of dawn like I usually do.
Event warmup:

Met up with a friend who was doing his first multisport event. Technically, I guess it was his second, as he was the run leg of a HIM we did a couple years ago, but you get the idea. Biked a bit, ran a bit, stretched a bit. Talked with the speedy guy from my town who, shocking nobody, ended up winning the thing.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Went faster than I intended, but I get so amped up it is hard to take it easy. I wasn't wearing my Garmin, but my friend said we did our first mile in like 6:40, which is fine for him but a bit overcooked for me. Seemed to work out okay, though.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My buddy came into transition a bit before me, but I blew past him while he was getting his shoes on. Welcome to the fourth discipline, sucka!
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Another windy day spent trying to keep on the road and out of the cornfields. Nobody passed me on the bike, and I probably passed 5 folks. Being a du, though, I knew they were all better runners than I so I figured I'd see most of them again. I'm guessing I may have nearly cracked a top 5 bike split. We'll see if they end up posting such information. Only bike near incident was I got complacent with the road quality on the way back in and relaxed by looking down rather than forward for awhile and ended up hitting the only pothole on the whole course square and nearly went over my aerobars. That got the HR up for the last few miles.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Saw the winner blow past going the other way about 1/2 mile in running like he stole something. I know the guy and he asked me something, I think, but the doppler shift made it hard to make out, and he would have been out of earshot for a response, anyway.

Didn't get passed until the return leg of the out-and-back. Afterward I felt like if I had dug a little deeper I could have stayed ahead of at least 1 of the people that passed me.
Post race
Warm down:

Got to the post-race grub before the wind blew most of the food off the tables.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was chatting with the winner afterward and he said to me "We gotta get you running faster." So there you go.

Event comments:

Splits unknown at this time. The event was not chip timed, and they say they'll update the website with split info, but we'll see. I'll update this if I end up getting splits. I didn't race with my Garmin as it is more trouble than it is worth for a short race.

First year for this event, but it was put on by an established company. I was a bit surprised to see no timing chips, but if they end up publishing splits I guess I don't really have a beef with that. Definately a good early-season choice in coming years.

Last updated: 2009-04-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 02 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/131
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike?